Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Artologic  
#1 Posted : 05 November 2014 23:24:06(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey Everyone,

I m experiencing the follow issue, my marklin 8112 (same construction as marklin 8816) is struggling to get through switches. It slows down and seems to bump/shake it's way through, eventually continuing on her road. I never had any problems with the bus until lately, but now even when the wheels and track are clean it experiences these issues... The bus has an original 3 pole motor. Who can help me out? All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kristof
Offline zscalehobo  
#2 Posted : 08 November 2014 01:32:07(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Originally Posted by: Artologic Go to Quoted Post
Hey Everyone,

I m experiencing the follow issue, my marklin 8112 (same construction as marklin 8816) is struggling to get through switches. It slows down and seems to bump/shake it's way through, eventually continuing on her road. I never had any problems with the bus until lately, but now even when the wheels and track are clean it experiences these issues... The bus has an original 3 pole motor. Who can help me out? All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kristof

Questions:
1. Do other loks go through same turnouts without issue?
2. Is it all your Marklin turnouts or is it limited to straight turnouts vs curved turnouts (gerade o gebogen - 8562/63/65/66 or 8568/8569 or all?)
3. Can it run through other Marklin turnouts without issue?

- Frank
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Marklin Dealer and Z Locomotive Service
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline Artologic  
#3 Posted : 08 November 2014 22:39:37(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Thanks for the reply Frank.

-> Other locs go through the same turnouts without any issue (there are 3 in the mainline, one curved left hand switch and both a right and left hand switch)

2. Is it all your Marklin turnouts or is it limited to straight turnouts vs curved turnouts (gerade o gebogen - 8562/63/65/66 or 8568/8569 or all?)
-> The railbus is going like it should through curved turnouts, and handles the left hand switch better then the right hand switch, even when I turn her around.

-> It only runs well through the curved turnout...

Kristof

Offline zscalehobo  
#4 Posted : 10 November 2014 19:14:53(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Thanks for the reply Frank.

-> Other locs go through the same turnouts without any issue (there are 3 in the mainline, one curved left hand switch and both a right and left hand switch)

-> The railbus is going like it should through curved turnouts, and handles the left hand switch better then the right hand switch, even when I turn her around.

-> It only runs well through the curved turnout...

Kristof

Hello Kristof:

Sounds like a couple of issues at play ...

First, the turnouts may have something wrong with them. I'd try some fresh units in place to see if it eliminates that variable.

Second, maybe your copper contacts are not clean or not touching the wheels properly. If you have taken it apart, when you put it back, were you careful to ensure that the copper contacts are wedged BEHIND the wheelset (and thus, spring-loaded)? Or is it riding along the top of the wheel, not pressed in properly?

I just re-built an 8816 yesterday for one of my customers and had that experience lead me to have a better answer for you. It's a 3-pole and ran through Marklin, MTL and Rokuhan turnouts like a champ.

A last resort would be to get a 5-pole motor that has a bit more "oomph" (torque) than the 3-pole.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Good luck and happy z scaling!

Frank Daniels
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline Artologic  
#5 Posted : 10 November 2014 19:32:52(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hey Frank,

I ll answer you question about the contacts first, the spring are indeed pushing to the back of the wheel, altough when last serviced I made them push a little harder onto the wheels, could this be a part of the issue? But they are in the right place.

For the turnouts, I simply don t have all the replacements, but will try to replace the most troublesome one, for that one I have a spare and see if it improves the issue.

For the motorpart, I also have the cleaning bus (8802?) and exchanged the motors between those two, she runs just the same, so I guess it s not a motor defect, loose from what you say about the torque off course.

I have been thinking about it too, one thing I haven t checked is if the wheels are still the right width, but I m not sure how much it should be?

I m going to try some of your tips (greatly appreciated!) and report back, but in the meanwhile, could one of the 2 things I mentioned be the case?

Kristof

Ps: Z scale stuff is great!
Offline zscalehobo  
#6 Posted : 10 November 2014 19:54:57(UTC)
zscalehobo

United States   
Hey Frank,

the contacts ... spring are indeed pushing to the back of the wheel ... I made them push a little harder onto the wheels, could this be a part of the issue?

... cleaning bus (8802?) ...

... if the wheels are still the right width, but I m not sure how much it should be?

Kristof

If you bent the springs non-symetrically, then yes, it could be a problem. One spring could be applying a bit more force against the wheel than the other.

8802 is the 3-pole track cleaner and 88021 is the newer 5-pole version.

Wheel width? Do you mean the diameter of the wheel or the spacing from flange-to-flange? Wheel diameter, I don't know ... just make sure you are using Marklin axles. The spacing is 6.5mm.

Regards,
Frank
Frank Daniels
Owner - z.scale.hobo
A Noch "Top Dealer"
Irvine, California, USA
www.zscalehobo.com
Offline Artologic  
#7 Posted : 10 November 2014 20:30:04(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
Hmmm I will for sure check if they are symetrically. I indeed ment the spacing flange to flange, I ll mesure those too.

I m going to report back.

Kristof
Offline Artologic  
#8 Posted : 11 November 2014 15:59:02(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
After changing the troublesome switch 2 times (I had 2 spares), the issues were gone. Still finding it a bit strange that one switch was doing well, while others didn t, I started to compare them. The only thing I could find different were the little metal pieces right after the point of the switch. On the trouble swiches they where a lot more spring and thus getting a little higher compared to the other one that was ok. As a test I glued the metal pieces to the bottom plate where they are resting on and the issue was gone. I also tested if the power pickup was still ok, since these pieces also are used for power pickup and I saw no difference. The only thing I can imagine why that railbus was giving issues where the other ones weren t, is due to the fact that all the others have metal housing and thus can push the strips down, while the lighter railbus just bumps on them, loosing traction. I m not sure, but still it s solved and that s the most important thing.

Thanks for helping out,

Kristof
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Artologic
Offline Artologic  
#9 Posted : 07 April 2015 12:33:01(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
After unpacking my railbus after being not used for a time, the issue returned, where normal and crossover switches give trouble, where the turned switches are less problemsome. The mystery continues, but I have no clue what is wrong this time...
Offline Artologic  
#10 Posted : 10 April 2015 12:01:49(UTC)
Artologic

Belgium   
I had a good look at it again and found the issue, hopefully it s a help to some other people too.

The issue was as followed, the railbus has 2 wheel covers, one on each end of the bus. Normally they hang in line with the bottom of the railbus, but I guess due to old age and wear the moment the bus started to run, they were hanging a bit down, catching on the switches (just enough to hinder it) and making it struggle on the switches. The sollution was to bend the hook a bit outwards on both wheel covers so they catch on nice. Also they ware a bit bend so I removed a bit of the material in the middle of the plate, and it works like a charm.

Hopefully it s to some use for other people
Kristof
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Artologic