Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2014 09:25:16(UTC)
Goofy

I have learn about Märklins digital system.
It can´t been complete system,since it don´t works complete.
Upgrade and bugs makes system not complete,which makes unsatisfaction for the customer too.
So my question to you is:
Do you want another new digital system which must been an complete system,so you can use it without trouble?
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2014 10:07:39(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Do you want another new digital system which must been an complete system,so you can use it without trouble?
Why a new system? My Central Station 60212 with software version 4.0 does everything I need.

Modern controllers are complex. It takes years until they reach maturity (provided they are supported until they reach maturity).
Any new digital system will most likely be incomplete and immature for years.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 11 August 2014 11:55:50(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Upgrade and bugs makes system not complete,which makes unsatisfaction for the customer too.

What I would be asking at this point is...

1: What components or features do you think are missing from the existing system (to call it "not-complete")?

2: What other digital systems have the missing components or features

3: Are there any alternative solutions that others have found to obtain those features in the existing Marklin Digital System?

Assuming I understand your comment correctly?

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline franciscohg  
#4 Posted : 11 August 2014 14:40:17(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Oh, but that happens with nearly all, if not all, electronic/software devices today, remember that they are made by us, imperfect humans ;)
Bugs and upgrades are a feature. The more complex the system is, the harder is to achieve some "perfection"
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 11 August 2014 17:12:15(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Looks like a complete system to me....
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Hackcell  
#6 Posted : 11 August 2014 17:35:44(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
What I believe mfx misses is some kind of feedback between the track and the locomotive. Meaning that, thru a device the CS knows exactly what locomotive is crossing/occupying an specific piece of track.

Knowing "a train is occupying section number 3" is good, but not as good as "Alco PA-1 is occupying section number 3".

This will give more possibilities in regards of automation.
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Hackcell
Offline steventrain  
#7 Posted : 11 August 2014 19:32:14(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I have no issue on CS2, MS2 and mfx (the problem is mfx not read with 60212 system)

I use backup CS2 and clear all loco list on MS2 before update and did not see any problem.

100% Complete digital (not a system)
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Webmaster  
#8 Posted : 11 August 2014 19:58:10(UTC)
Webmaster

@Danilo - I suggested exactly that among other things to M in 1999-2000 when they had an online enquiry regarding a "new" digital system...
Most other suggestions I had are actually implemented in the Digital system nowadays...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline kweekalot  
#9 Posted : 11 August 2014 20:38:30(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
I have no issue on CS2, MS2 and mfx...

Me neither. BigGrin
I don't use it.
I just want to put a loco on the track and turn the knob of my 280A to let it run, just as I was used to back in the day as a kid.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline witzlerh  
#10 Posted : 11 August 2014 20:51:45(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Not sure what you/we think is missing to make CS2 a "complete" system. Even prototype railways do not have complete "digital" systems running 100% reliably on 100% of their routes...

As we see more funtionality through digital advances, we realize what more we can do and then expect more and more and will have a chicken and egg question.

As for expecting that our CS2 know where each of our loks are on our layouts to allow for automatic running, that will take time, expense and knowledge.

In short; We need better digital protocols and standards to allow reliable bi-directional communication
AND
we need to reliably program layouts and routes on the CS-2.
AND
we "and the control" needs to know how long the trains AND track is to ensure that the end of the train is clear of any points or crossings before the control will release the next train. THat is our responsibility to program that in correctly. If we want to have mfx+ FRED devices at the ends of trains (Flashing rear end device) technology developed, it will still be up to us to tell the CS which FRED is attached to which Lok and the distance between the Lok and FRED...

Currently most guys doing automatic running have figured out their max train lengths and developed various ways to reliably run automatic layouts.

Prototype railways spend far more money on systems, but still have not yet achived a fully digital railway yet. What should we expect to get for a mere $800-1000 for our CS2?

Railroad and co. by Friewald is an additional $800 or and does have more "control", but I also know from experience that there are more headaches as you need more senors to run it well. But as soon as a sensor malfuntions, you have a headache...

I am happy with what we we have. I am still exploring the possibilityes of the mfx+ and will have a few suggestions for improvement there...
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline RayF  
#11 Posted : 11 August 2014 20:58:02(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I suppose one has to to define "complete". Is something not complete if there are more things it could do but doesn't?

For example, is your car not complete if it is missing a Satnav system? How about if it lacks a turbo-charger?

I have no doubt that the Marklin digital systems could be improved to do more, but I don't think that makes it incomplete. I consider that it does everything that a digital system is expected to do. It controls multiple locomotives independantly, controls various digital functions available on locomotives, it controls digital accessories, and has various facilities for layout automation, including interfaces with computers.

To me, that makes it complete.

Ray
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 11 August 2014 21:09:48(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
As for expecting that our CS2 know where each of our loks are on our layouts to allow for automatic running, that will take time, expense and knowledge.
RailCom has a patent on using loco feedback for that purpose.
So either they have to obtain permission to use the patent or find a way that is not protected by the RailCom patent.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Webmaster  
#13 Posted : 11 August 2014 21:35:28(UTC)
Webmaster

The interesting thing is that real railways are mostly run with less sophistication than many of our model railroads...

I remember a funny cartoon from the 80's regarding Swedish Railways where the conclusion in the last frame was to use a Märklin Digital system to run the real trains reliably on schedule instead of ATC.... BigGrin

Some years ago I visited the South Swedish railway control central and was surprised to see how much it resembled the digital operation with a 6021 generation controller layout, stop section detection by shorting the rails and such... But they had many station & line layouts on a lot of screens, and a software that predicted where a train should be if all was normal by "s88 contacts" along the lines (ie track occupation & ATC waypoint detectors)...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline utkan  
#14 Posted : 11 August 2014 21:57:43(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
How can one expect a concept ,which can not move a finger without upgrading& uploading& dowloading, to be completed?

Besides that incompleteness is your dream from the first moment, isn't it?Confused

I can hear the sounds of your swords , spears etc... I'd better get away now.....RollEyes Tongue
Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by utkan
Offline Yumgui  
#15 Posted : 11 August 2014 23:20:10(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post

Me neither. BigGrin
I don't use it.
I just want to put a loco on the track and turn the knob of my 280A to let it run, just as I was used to back in the day as a kid.

Hehehe,

Agreed Marco,

The only tried and true, bug-free digital system I know of is ... analog !

Y LOL

PS: OT .. ok, ok, ^^

If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Yumgui
User is suspended until 21/07/4752 11:48:10(UTC) Barguest  
#16 Posted : 12 August 2014 04:37:43(UTC)
Barguest

Mine MS2 now out of date. No CS2 to update with. Mine is fall behind. Not say this before I buy MS2.
MS2 very good but with no bug fixers, it remain 'incomplet'. Think this what be saying here
Alias for Mulldog Lemmon
Offline NZMarklinist  
#17 Posted : 12 August 2014 07:10:44(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

What I would be asking at this point is...

1: What components or features do you think are missing from the existing system (to call it "not-complete")?

2: What other digital systems have the missing components or features

3: Are there any alternative solutions that others have found to obtain those features in the existing Marklin Digital System?

Assuming I understand your comment correctly?

Cheers

Steve

Goofy's problem seems to be he expects too much from a Mobile Station ! He needs to aquire any sort of Central Station and he will enjoy operating his trains digitally a lot more. ThumpUp
MS's are designed for starter sets and to be added as extra throttles for CS's, but can control a small layout quite successfully too ThumpUp
Marklin is continually upgrading and adding components to their Digital System ThumpUp (See Tom's post)

Happily operating my trains with CS1-R V3.3 and MS1 Wink
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline Goofy  
#18 Posted : 12 August 2014 09:26:15(UTC)
Goofy

I´m suprised to see comments that is not even about my topic start.
I did wrote...Märklin digital is not complete system.
Upgrade and bugs makes system not complete.
If i look backward when Märklin did had 6021,that was complete system without default.
No upgrading and bugs there...

BigGrin
H0
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline utkan  
#19 Posted : 12 August 2014 09:48:47(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
If i look backward when Märklin did had 6021,that was complete system without default.

BigGrin

Hi Anders,

If I happen to find any bugs in Marklinistanbul, I use the sprays below...but so far no bugs have dared to visit my system.....RollEyes

UserPostedImage

Cheers,

mehmet
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by utkan
Offline utkan  
#20 Posted : 12 August 2014 09:51:55(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: Yumgui Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post

Me neither. BigGrin
I don't use it.

Hehehe,

Agreed Marco,

The only tried and true, bug-free digital system I know of is ... analog !

Y LOL

PS: OT .. ok, ok, ^^

Hi Yum,

I must admit that day by day I love that Diesel more and more.....Drool Drool

I know it is off-topic.....Blushing Blushing

Cheers,

mehmet
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by utkan
Offline Renato  
#21 Posted : 12 August 2014 10:55:55(UTC)
Renato

Italy   

BigGrin

Hi Anders,

The main difference is that CU 6021 was principally HW based.

OK, I know: also in the CU 6021 there is SW in the microprocessor, but it has not to manage screen graphics capabilities like MS2 or CS2 (the latter with colour touchscreen features too), only LEDs have to be lit.
The CU 6021 has other separate components, such as Interface, Keyboard and Memory, plus Control 80f, but their features are more simply (and less complex to implement) compared with those of CS2 principally.

Do not forget that also CU 6021 and its components had the so colled Firmware (the SW inside their microprocessors) upgraded, even if you do not notice that as the Firmware revision is not displayed anywhere.

Last but not least, CU 6021 has no MFX or MFX+ Cab Control capabilities.

More the SW is complex, more you can expect bugs with revisions and upgrades, as for the Operating Systems Windows, Mac, Linux and so on...

And it is a common thing in the Information Technology field that one bug fix introduces a new bug that must be fixed...

Cheers

Renato

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Renato
Offline cookee_nz  
#22 Posted : 12 August 2014 12:13:06(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

BigGrin

I think what you were trying to say was that you did not consider Märklin Digital to be a 'finished' system - in other words, nothing more to be done and it cannot be improved.

But if you follow that logic, the very computer you are writing your email on is not a 'complete' system either, how often do software updates get released for that?

How about this forum that we all belong to, it is "complete"? Juhan is regularly doing upgrades to improve performance, features, stability etc. But I still consider the forum to be complete. It may not be 'finished' but it does what most of us need it to do, most of the time.

If you want a system like a 6021, designed to do what it does and nothing more, then probably a 6021 is the best 'system' for you. But it will never ever be capable of more than the day you got it.

What about your own layout?, it is 'complete', or do you enjoy adding more preiserlings, additional wagons (only to find certain combinations don't run well together, or don't like certain turnouts), does that mean your layout is not 'complete', or not 'finished'?

Personally, I quite like a system that is designed with the capability of being improved as and when additional features or capabilities are developed.

Sometimes a software update is required to fix a bug and you can argue whether more thorough testing should have found that bug during development.

Other times a software update is done because of feedback from many customers who would like things a little different to what the designer planned. You can't do that with the 6021, you are stuck with what the designer built even if no one likes it.

It is sadly part of the price for flexibility. I think Goofy you have to decide what gives you the most fun in this hobby and concentrate on that. Cool

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline RayF  
#23 Posted : 12 August 2014 13:10:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I think Steve has hit the nail on the head!

The distinction between "complete"and "finished" is a fine one in the English language, but they do not mean the same thing.

Now I see that Anders meant that the development of the Marklin digital system is not finished in that it will have more updates and upgrades to come. This has nothing to do with the fact that it is a complete working system.

Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline PJMärklin  
#24 Posted : 12 August 2014 14:23:46(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: utkan Go to Quoted Post

BigGrin

Hi Anders,

If I happen to find any bugs in Marklinistanbul, I use the sprays below...but so far no bugs have dared to visit my system.....RollEyes

UserPostedImage

Cheers,

mehmet

Well said Mehmet,

But, you have no bugs not because of your advanced insect sprays, but because your system is entirely analog and thus has none of the problems/bumps/hiccups of digital !!!

Regards,

Philip
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline foumaro  
#25 Posted : 12 August 2014 15:39:37(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Quote:
Hi Anders,

UserPostedImage

Cheers,

mehmet

ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline bmcrae  
#26 Posted : 12 August 2014 19:05:50(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
LOL....thanks Mehmet! BigGrin
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by bmcrae
Offline bmcrae  
#27 Posted : 12 August 2014 19:10:45(UTC)
bmcrae

Canada   
Just like to add, that I consider this a hobby that never completes itself.

Layout = never finished
New Items = must have
Old Items = must run and maintain
New Buildings = must construct
New books = must read
New tech = must learn

Cheers all!
Brian
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by bmcrae
Offline Webmaster  
#28 Posted : 12 August 2014 20:37:04(UTC)
Webmaster

As I see it, a model railroad layout should always be an unfinished project... That's one of the fun things with the hobby...

May it be adding a Preiser cat to the doorstep of a house, or rewiring it for digital operation or anything in between - it should be constantly evolving...
The saddest day (at least for me) would be when you think - I'm finished with the layout now, nothing more to be done....

And digital system updates & evolutions are indeed a part of the excitement too, the real world of technology moves along and gives you new options also for model railroading...

The day everything is "finished" or "complete" with no room for improvements is generally an unchallenging & boring day....
You may feel content about your achievement that day, but the day after you will search for more details to improve... BigGrin
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline waorb  
#29 Posted : 12 August 2014 21:21:49(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Originally Posted by: bmcrae Go to Quoted Post
Layout = never finished
New Items = must have
New books = must read
New tech = must learn

PERFECT!

ThumpUp
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by waorb
User is suspended until 21/07/4752 11:48:10(UTC) Barguest  
#30 Posted : 12 August 2014 23:00:09(UTC)
Barguest

In answer to you question "Do you want another new digital system which must been an complete system,so you can use it without trouble?" I answer -yes.
This I think to come from ESU for me. Think less trouble when buy ESU than when buy CS2.

Alias for Mulldog Lemmon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Barguest
Offline RayF  
#31 Posted : 12 August 2014 23:05:34(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I'd rather stick with märklin, thank you!
Ray
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline witzlerh  
#32 Posted : 12 August 2014 23:19:10(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Those older systems "6021" may be more electro-mechanical and/or basic electronic but they had their bugs too....just more physical which we can see/feel and fix or just plain live with.

I can see the frustration that just when you figure something out, it changes and you have to re-learn, especially if you do not use it every day...

Fortunately, Marklin CS2 is not updating as often as Windows and Apple and recently, the updates have been more bug free than the earlier ones.
THat being said, I love the benefits the updates are giving. The mfx+ is making my NA railroader buddies foaming at the mouth.
Harald
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline Goofy  
#33 Posted : 13 August 2014 09:24:39(UTC)
Goofy

Upgrade...bugs...upgrade...bugs...upgrade...bugs...upgrade...bugs...

How does yours physical condition react when you know yourself:"Ohhh no...not another more upgrade!When can Märklin finish digital as complete system?"
"Bugs again!?Come on bastard!"

As customer i´m not happy to use corrupt system.
I know i use Trix MS2,but i fool myself to use it.

BigGrin
H0
Offline utkan  
#34 Posted : 13 August 2014 11:31:27(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

BigGrin

Hi Anders,

Cheers,

mehmet

Well said Mehmet,

But, you have no bugs not because of your advanced insect sprays, but because your system is entirely analog and thus has none of the problems/bumps/hiccups of digital !!!

Regards,

Philip

Hi Philip,

Of course I haven't got any bugs because of those sprays...BigGrin

But please allow me to correct a fact about my humble layout....my system is not entirely analog....RollEyes

UserPostedImage

there are 3 levels.....the upper level is, as you said entirely analog, bug-free-zone....RollEyes

then the trustable blue boxes level, still analog.....RollEyes

UserPostedImage

and the lowest level, where the bugs are used as useful and faithful slaves.....no need to upgrade, up&down load....RollEyes

a big round blue-bead is enough for the whole system....ThumpUp

OK! I admit...I miss those lovely sounds and magnificent other effects.....Then I pay the price....Sad

But you pay the price in other way, too...RollEyes

What I believe unless you are personally very good at digital, like River , you will always feel dependent to Mother M*....RollEyes

I really do not want to be offensive you or any of you.....if I have been seen in this way , I do apologize to you or any of you...Smile

Cheers,

mehmetSmile
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by utkan
Offline utkan  
#35 Posted : 13 August 2014 11:35:04(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
Quote:
Hi Anders,

UserPostedImage

Cheers,

mehmet

ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

....it is GREAT felling to be in a state of being understood....LOL LOL LOL

Thank you, my friend....Love
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by utkan
Offline utkan  
#36 Posted : 13 August 2014 11:38:54(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: bmcrae Go to Quoted Post
Just like to add, that I consider this a hobby that never completes itself.

Layout = never finished
New Items = must have
New books = must read
New tech = must learn

Cheers all!
Brian

Hi Brian,

Please let me allow to add a tiny bit to your perfect definition.....ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

visitors, children = more and moreLove

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by utkan
Offline Goofy  
#37 Posted : 13 August 2014 13:11:16(UTC)
Goofy

I have no more warranty with my MS2,since i did bought it for over three years ago now.
If MS2 stop in working after i did upgrade,how can i use MS2...?
H0
Offline PJMärklin  
#38 Posted : 13 August 2014 13:23:09(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: witzlerh Go to Quoted Post
Those older systems "6021" may be more electro-mechanical and/or basic electronic but they had their bugs too....just more physical which we can see/feel and fix or just plain live with.

I can see the frustration that just when you figure something out, it changes and you have to re-learn, especially if you do not use it every day...

Fortunately, Marklin CS2 is not updating as often as Windows and Apple and recently, the updates have been more bug free than the earlier ones.
THat being said, I love the benefits the updates are giving. The mfx+ is making my NA railroader buddies foaming at the mouth.

Hello Harald,

I have run a "6021" system for nearly 20 years now with no bugs or problems (touch wood).
My reading on this forum of the various concerns with the more "advanced" Marklin systems has staunched any desires I ever had to move to more complex controllers.

To each his own.

Regards,

PJ

UserPostedImage
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline RayF  
#39 Posted : 13 August 2014 14:06:57(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
That's a very impressive array of controllers there, PJ! ThumpUp

I have a single 6021 which I used for a few years, and recently it got replaced by a MS2. I have not tried to upgrade my MS2, as it works fine as it is, but eventually I might feel the need to have newer models in the loco database, and that is the only reason I can think of for upgrading it.

Meanwhile, my 6021 remains on the shelf as a spare, should something go wrong with the MS2.

My philosophy has always been "If it ain't broke don't fix it!", so if you are happy with your digital setup all I say is may you continue to enjoy it for many years to come!

I myself had no intention to move away from the 6021, but I happened on a really good deal on a MS2 complete with track box and power supply, so I bought it for testing purposes. I found the auto-registration of mfx very easy, and I no longer need to worry so much about running out of digital addresses. The extra functions available on the MS2 over a 6021 is a bonus, but not a deal breaker for me. Overall, I found the MS2 better for my purposes than the 6021, so it became my main controller.

PJ, if you do feel tempted to upgrade to MS2 or CS2, don't listen too much to the prophets of doom! You will probably enjoy the new controlling experience much more than you think, and most users don't have as many problems as are reported here!
Ray
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline RayF  
#40 Posted : 13 August 2014 14:13:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have no more warranty with my MS2,since i did bought it for over three years ago now.

If it stops working then obviously you can't use it until it gets fixed!

I would recommend that you get a spare MS2 in case of problems with the first one. That way you have a backup if it suddenly stops working, or if an upgrade goes wrong and leaves it not working. I intend to do just that before I attempt to upgrade my MS2. At the moment I have my old 6021 to fall back on if my MS2 fails.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Janne75  
#41 Posted : 13 August 2014 16:00:57(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
When I was a child I had only analog locos. I have born in 1975 and if I remember correctly the first Märklin digital locos came in around 1984-1985, so then I did not have them. When I re-started my model railroad hobby in 2001-2002 I bought first some starter sets with analog transformers and then finally 6021 and it´s 60 VA transformer from a 29855 starter set. I have still this very same 6021 and the transformer, but not in use anymore. It was used as a controller for my lower level layout still some time ago before I connected my layouts upper and lower level together. Now both levels are used with CS2 60214. Just one month before I bought with very cheap price my CS2 I bought a 29539 starter set including MS2 digital controller. Nowadays it is used to control my Märklin 1 gauge trains.

I like 6021 controller for many reasons. It starts immediately (like MS2 does), but CS2 starts very slowly as it is basically a Linux computer. 6021 is great to find a loco address between 01-80 as it is very fast to just turn the throttle and try all combinations between 01-80 to find out which address a loco has. I have nowadays small stickers with loco address under all my digital locos and when I open my CS2 there is easy to see locos address. Then I have all addresses written in a file in my computer for back-up. I also like to program locos with 6021, but it is just me Wink . I think PJ´s solution having one 6021 for each loco running on his layout is great and very clear way to control them. Also turnouts can be controlled with mechanical buttons and I would like to have this type of unit to go separately with my CS2 just for controlling my 25 turnouts.

As I like also simple analog bug free operation I have analog layout in my garage. It is the most reliable one.

6021 type older digital controlled layout is very reliable and bug free.

Newer MS2 and CS2 controllers have their software problems, but I can live with them and I have not got any major problems. I have updated my CS2 to newer versions frequently to get some of the latest advantages and bug fixes. We just have to accept that these newer systems are so much more complicated and they offer so many new possibilities and functions that it is sometimes needed to get new "bugs" updated.

I´m happy with all of these, but I have not very much experience with MS2. It works ok to run some Märklin 1 gauge locos. It is more difficult to do some things with it vs. CS2 as it has only a small screen. Turnouts are more difficult to control and as there are not all locos in the list it gets sometimes more difficult to find them.

Overall I´m very happy with all of them. The World is not complete. Everything will change and I hope to better direction. It is great that newer locos can still be used with 6021. It is a great controller. If I could not have my CS2 60214 basically for free I think I would continue using it (=6021) with my H0 layout Smile .

Regards,
Janne RollEyes
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline foumaro  
#42 Posted : 13 August 2014 16:14:13(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

BigGrin

Hi Anders,

Cheers,

mehmet

Well said Mehmet,

Regards,

Philip

Hi Philip,

Of course I haven't got any bugs because of those sprays...BigGrin

But please allow me to correct a fact about my humble layout....my system is not entirely analog....RollEyes

UserPostedImage

there are 3 levels.....the upper level is, as you said entirely analog, bug-free-zone....RollEyes

then the trustable blue boxes level, still analog.....RollEyes

UserPostedImage

and the lowest level, where the bugs are used as useful and faithful slaves.....no need to upgrade, up&down load....RollEyes

a big round blue-bead is enough for the whole system....ThumpUp

OK! I admit...I miss those lovely sounds and magnificent other effects.....Then I pay the price....Sad

But you pay the price in other way, too...RollEyes

What I believe unless you are personally very good at digital, like River , you will always feel dependent to Mother M*....RollEyes

I really do not want to be offensive you or any of you.....if I have been seen in this way , I do apologize to you or any of you...Smile

Cheers,

mehmetSmile

I love the blue bead,is it the new digital protection system?LOL ThumpUp
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#43 Posted : 13 August 2014 17:33:45(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   

Hi Anders
I echo what has been said before - get a spare MS2 as back up: When changing from analog to digital about 4 yrs ago, I bought a start set with MS2, and on good advice from forum members I bought a back up MS2 very soon thereafter. And when one of my MS2's started malfunctioning recently, and while its still at M, at least I have a spare to "play trains" with BigGrin
Joe

Offline witzlerh  
#44 Posted : 13 August 2014 18:11:43(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
The 6021 is a great system for control, particularily for those used to the analog or electronic age.
I myself have enjoyed building analog and electronic circuits for manufacturing machines and I am used to it.

I have accepted the digital age along with its compactness and benifits along with the side effects that any computer system will require upgrades.
Marklin's entrance to the digital world was rocky with the CS1. The CS2 was a great leap forward and reasonably well done. Later updates have been very smooth compared to other software platforms well known to the industry.

I enjoy the CS2 and the ability to use my idevices to run more trains. I did start with analog and loved it too.

I also understand the reluctance of many to upgrade. I have had to help many with difficult upgrades (Marklin, ESU and non-railway related) and there are times that I wish things that work just stay as is and not change! It works! Why mess with it!

However, due to the constant push for better things, our smart phones have more computing power than the Apollo space craft did to get to the moon. That counts for something! Do we need this power? Most don't, but enough people do, hence improvements and upgrades. In the digital world, upgrades and bugs will exist. It is up to the company to maximize upgrades and minimize bugs. So far, Marklin is doing a good job now.

We are in this hobby to have fun with it.
It is nice that some choose to stick to tried and true analog, some are happy with the 6021, some are happy with the MS1, MS2 CS1 and CS2 as is and some are impatiently waiting for the next greatest thing.
Harald
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by witzlerh
Offline Goofy  
#45 Posted : 13 August 2014 18:36:21(UTC)
Goofy

So long Märklin do upgrade which there is sometimes bugs too,theirs digital system can never been an complete system.
H0
Offline pa-pauls  
#46 Posted : 13 August 2014 19:33:07(UTC)
pa-pauls

So long Märklin do upgrade which there is sometimes bugs too,theirs digital system can never been an complete system.

Why not ?

You need food / drink to live ? Are you not complete human ?
Your car need fuel / new tires / new parts ? Are your car not complete ?

I think you mean FINISHED system Goofy and that's the "problem" with the complexety of today's electronic's,
we wan't the CS-2 and the MS-2 to do so much and when Märklin try to implement those things in the digital
system software some bugs / mistake's are made that later (when discovered) need's a update, i.e. a new
software update, that fix that bug / mistake,,,

Märklin has digital, ESU has digital, Roco has digital and so on but they will NEVER be Complete,,,,,
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by pa-pauls
Offline Goofy  
#47 Posted : 13 August 2014 20:07:45(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: pa-pauls Go to Quoted Post

Why not ?

You need food / drink to live ? Are you not complete human ?
Your car need fuel / new tires / new parts ? Are your car not complete ?

I think you mean FINISHED system Goofy and that's the "problem" with the complexety of today's electronic's,
we wan't the CS-2 and the MS-2 to do so much and when Märklin try to implement those things in the digital
system software some bugs / mistake's are made that later (when discovered) need's a update, i.e. a new
software update, that fix that bug / mistake,,,

Märklin has digital, ESU has digital, Roco has digital and so on but they will NEVER be Complete,,,,,

I have an question to you...
You shall only answer YES or NO.
Do you want an complete digital system without to upgrade and bugs?

H0
Offline PMPeter  
#48 Posted : 13 August 2014 20:20:02(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
No
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by PMPeter
Offline Webmaster  
#49 Posted : 13 August 2014 20:30:57(UTC)
Webmaster

No.

It's like buying an iPad 1 today and not being able to upgrade to get rid of the bugs and also miss new useful functionality.
I will then have to buy a new "complete system" to get the new stuff that makes a system "more complete" than the earlier one...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#50 Posted : 13 August 2014 21:00:31(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
No!