Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kokomo  
#1 Posted : 28 April 2014 21:28:54(UTC)
kokomo

Argentina   
Hello everyone!

I am a long time DC modelist which has entered AC world some days ago thanks to a gift received (29483 starter set) and the joy accomplished by my offspring setting up the layout and running a train in no time.

My first model railroad was given to me by my grandpa in the early 80's, and it was a Lima. After playing with it for some time while little it was put away and I resurrected model railroading some years ago but I got caught up in the middle of analogic-digital and never had time to digitalize my old locomotives.

Anyway, I won't bother you with many details here, but to summarize it, I would say I am quite trained in the model railroad world although these are my first steps in AC.

Ok, now to the points:

I would like to maximize this starter set and would like to add some extra stuff for my kids (ages 8 & 6) to start playing with, accompanied by me. I planned on buying an extra loco and some cars, along with some more track. My doubts, concerns are:

1) I see this box came with C-track. I have always used in DC, track more similar to Marklin's K-track, so my first concern is if it's better to switch to K-track considering that for the time being I will most likely be focused on playing with children and setting up and dismantling would be the norm. I have read that K-track has some electrical difficulties, is that correct? I have also received some old M-track but I see the rails are all full of rust. Do you throw them away or can you clean them?

2) Both turn-outs have an encoder and I wondered what specifical items you needed to furnish an other one. The turn-out, the motor and the decoder, that is? All three items are needed?

3) The digital central is the Mobile Station provided. Is it a good unit, or is it outdated?

4) Regarding couplers, how does the automatic uncoupler work? item 24997 Can you mix RELEX couplers with more modern ones?

5) Ballast and C-track don't get along very well, do they? is it advisable to ballast the space between ties to add more realism?

I guess that would suffice for now. I thank you all for your help!!!

Cheers

kokomo attached the following image(s):
IMG-20140426-00106.jpg
IMG-20140426-00108.jpg
IMG-20140426-00109.jpg
IMG-20140427-00110.jpg
Modeling Central European trains. Eras III, IV and V
Mostly UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage but can also get some French or Italian articles too
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by kokomo
Offline kweekalot  
#2 Posted : 28 April 2014 22:07:33(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Hi Kokomo,
Welcome to the forum ! ThumpUp
I can not really help you with your questions, but I'm sure some here can.

Marco
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline Irish Rail  
#3 Posted : 28 April 2014 22:32:20(UTC)
Irish Rail

Ireland   
Welcome Kodomo

I can only answer part of one question - don't throw out your rusty M-tracks. They can be cleaned up pretty easily. I've been working on mine recently - some are 50 years old and none has been used for 25 years. A bit of WD40, let it soak for a little while, then rub hard with a cloth. Badly rusted rails can be soaked in WD40 overnight (so I'm told). And rust on the rails can be removed with fine sandpaper if all the above doesn't work.
BTW, every track section I worked on is now fully functioning.

Enjoy.
Des
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Irish Rail
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 28 April 2014 23:22:44(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Irish Rail Go to Quoted Post
..... And rust on the rails can be removed with fine sandpaper if all the above doesn't work.

No, don't do that, it will make the tracks rust even faster.

To answer the questions

#1 - C track is designed for repeated laying down and breaking up, so is ideal for children and carpetbahn's. K track is really designed for permanent layouts requiring a near prototypical track (as near to prototypical as you can get with 3 rail track). It is possible to get good realism with C track, just have a look at some of the layouts featured on the forum and you will see what I mean.

#2 - You would need the turnout, a 74491 point motor, a 74461 decoder plus optionally the 74470 turnout lantern. Alternatively, you could buy the 74445 kit, which includes the lantern, the motor and the decoder. You only need these if you do not want to change the points by hand.

#3 - The Mobile Station (MS2 - not to be confused with the older MS1) is a current item, and is ideal for run small to medium sized layouts. It can also switch solenoid devices, but doesn't have the advanced features of the Central Station 2.

#4 - The uncoupler works by raising the uncoupler arm, which lifts both couplers of any cars located above it, separating the couplers. You can mix both types, but it is best to have all Relex cars in a single line and all close coupled cars in a single line - don't mix and match them. You might experience some random uncoupling if you do.

#5 - You can add a thin layer of ballast onto C track, but keep it minimal as you don't want the ballast being sucked up and into your locos.

Finally, welcome to the forum!
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline intruder  
#5 Posted : 29 April 2014 01:16:26(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Welcome from Norway. too!
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by intruder
Offline biedmatt  
#6 Posted : 29 April 2014 03:19:26(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
A lot of people get confused by the uncoupler. It should be used at the entrance to a yard. You do not need a bunch of them all over your yard where you think you may want to leave a car. As you push (not pull) the cars over the uncoupler it activates the pre-uncoupler function of the couplers. Now you can continue to push the cars to the spot desired and then back away from the car(s) leaving it behind.

Welcome!
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Danlake  
#7 Posted : 29 April 2014 03:32:49(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Kokomo,

Welcome to the forum.

Just one comment regrading question 5; I have used a mix of a thin layer of ballast between tracks and in my shadow yard just simple paint the baseboard. My own experience so far is that whatever track system you use (C,M,K) you will one day have a fault on a turnout or a fault in a track piece, and doing repair with complete ballasted tracks can become a real nightmare.

I simple put a thin layer of stone ballast between my C tracks in visible area (photo in my recent post Greenwood Forest). The sturdiness of C tracks in combination with the ballast keeps the track in place and no need to screw the track down). You can either use similiar color ballast or a contrast color also looks great. For inspiration also look a Marklin's own exhibition layout which uses C tracks.

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 29 April 2014 03:35:36(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Welcome to the forum and have fun with your layout, track plan and the helping hand from your children.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline mike c  
#9 Posted : 29 April 2014 06:25:47(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hello Kokomo,

I would recommend that you continue to expand your layout using the C-Track. It is better suited for use by children and also for packing, unpacking.
Since you are using digital, I would recommend not using your older M Track.
The logical next step would be to purchase the expansion sets with the curved switches which will allow you to set up two parallel tracks.
Your Mobile Station should be sufficient to control two trains. If you expand your layout in length, you can opt for the Central Station.
Your control box will allow for the connection of a second Mobile Station, which would allow two people to control individual trains, so that might be an interesting addition to consider as you have two children.

Regarding ballasting, the C Track already has a simulated ballast. You may decide simply to "weather" it rather than adding any ballasting material.

I am sure that you and your family will enjoy your new Maerklin.
I see that your first set was a SBB (Swiss) one. If you have any questions about Swiss trains or about other items that would go with them, please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Ian555  
#10 Posted : 29 April 2014 06:50:01(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Kokomo,

Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp

Ian.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline nevw  
#11 Posted : 29 April 2014 07:56:04(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Kokomo, welcome to the fountain of Knowledge, some fun and really good information and Help.

all the best from sunny (but cooling for winter) Brisbane

Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 29 April 2014 12:03:47(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Since you are using digital, I would recommend not using your older M Track.

The two are not mutually exclusive, you can use good quality M track with digital without issues, but sticking with C track exclusively does make some sense, unless you have a large investment in M track. There are converter tracks that convert from C to M track (and C to K if you so wished).

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Your Mobile Station should be sufficient to control two trains.

Depending on what lights are in coaches, and what functions are in the various locos you get, you might find you can operate up to 4 trains with the MS2 without issue.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline RayF  
#13 Posted : 29 April 2014 15:32:06(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Welcome Kokomo!

I don't think I can add anything to the excellent advice already offered by other members, but I too would opt to stay with C track if I were you. I switched from M track to C track about 10 years ago and found it to be superior electrically, mechanically and aesthetically. Ballast is available from some of the common manufacturers which match the C track bed perfectly if you want to fill in the gaps between track as I have.

Good luck!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kokomo  
#14 Posted : 29 April 2014 16:21:39(UTC)
kokomo

Argentina   
Hello and thanks to everyone!!!! Superb answers and welcome to this new world.

I am a DC long time modelist and tried to pass on to my children the passion, but electrical issues have frozen their interest in trains and this Märklin set has given a new kick-off (hopefully) to their interest. During to a recent trip to Europe (France & Spain) we used to go to the stations to see trains pass by and I explained them their names and characteristics. Now, for instance, they recognize that an AVE S-112 is called "duck", for instance :D

Ok, now going back to the topic

1) I would definitely stick to C-track for the time being because I want them (aka children) to build their own layouts (under my supervision) and have flexibility. I have inherited lots of M track, which I plan to share some photos later on, and I was wondering about the effort of putting it back to work or just selling it on ebay as is.

2) I would like to have some extension pack to add some more flavo(u)r to the game and playability. I was considering extension sets 78040 and 78080 for this purpose. I know turn-outs add a lot to the game and playability is what I emphasize now.

3) I was planning on buying some cheap locos for them to manage (I was thinking of either 36501, 36795, 36606 or 36653) and I wondered whether this Mobile Station (which I now know is the MS2, thnx) could handle them. One thing about the Mobile station, it says it has 255 stations/slots available for accessories, and the included turn-outs were automatically added to positions 1 and 2. But how do you add new items and remember them for later? I mean, suppose I buy 3 new turn-outs, how do I add them and how do I select them on positions 3, 4 and 80, for instance? Is it easy to do? Will I have to do that everytime I add them to a new layout? How about signals/semaphores?

4) Regarding uncoupling, you have to push the wagon to the uncoupler and that's it? Don't press anything at all? What if you have lots of wagons and want to do some shunting? I am lost...

5) I used to apply woodland scenics medium ballast to my previous creations ( I would later on share some photos) and I wondered whether I could apply a thin layer over C-track, to cover the plastic background. I know from first hand experience that ballast and turn-outs don't get along very well. I am not that handy with airbrush....

And now some extra questions

6) I have connected the Mobile station to track, simply placing the wires under the track, as seen of the first photo. I was wondering if there was a special track which had some "feeder" connection.

7) On a table, do you place the C-track right on it or in order to avoid noise you place it on a sort of foamy trackbed? In DC I used to apply cork, is it the same in AC?

Thanks again to everyone for your support!!!
Mostly UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage but can also get some French or Italian articles too
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kokomo
Offline steventrain  
#15 Posted : 29 April 2014 21:51:49(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi and Welcome to the forum Kokomo!Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Renato  
#16 Posted : 29 April 2014 22:36:47(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Kokomo,

Welcome to the forum from me too!

Cheers

Renato
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Renato
Offline kimballthurlow  
#17 Posted : 29 April 2014 23:49:03(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kokomo Go to Quoted Post
Hello and thanks to everyone!!!! ...

6) I have connected the Mobile station to track, simply placing the wires under the track, as seen of the first photo. I was wondering if there was a special track which had some "feeder" connection.

7) On a table, do you place the C-track right on it or in order to avoid noise you place it on a sort of foamy trackbed? In DC I used to apply cork, is it the same in AC?

Thanks again to everyone for your support!!!

Hi,
Your connection of the wires under the track is quite normal for most modellers.
Marklin do a connector track, but it is rather bulky, and no need I think.
But it might be better for the children when they want to set up.

Regarding the noise of running trains, I use an underlay.
I too have experience with other stuff, and I delight in NOT having to do all the work associated with flex track and ballasting.
http://www.qldrail.net/altkloster/softlysoftly-800.jpg

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline hxmiesa  
#18 Posted : 30 April 2014 10:55:55(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Welcome here!
What a nice and enthusiastic message you have written here! ;-)

1) I see this box came with C-track. I have always used in DC, track more similar to Marklin's K-track, so my first concern is if it's better to switch to K-track considering that for the time being I will most likely be focused on playing with children and setting up and dismantling would be the norm. I have read that K-track has some electrical difficulties, is that correct? I have also received some old M-track but I see the rails are all full of rust. Do you throw them away or can you clean them?

2) Both turn-outs have an encoder and I wondered what specifical items you needed to furnish an other one. The turn-out, the motor and the decoder, that is? All three items are needed?

3) The digital central is the Mobile Station provided. Is it a good unit, or is it outdated?

4) Regarding couplers, how does the automatic uncoupler work? item 24997 Can you mix RELEX couplers with more modern ones?

5) Ballast and C-track don't get along very well, do they? is it advisable to ballast the space between ties to add more realism?

1) For the sake of your kids, you should definately stay with C-track. K-track doesnt have electrical problems, but they are very flimsy and gets easily damaged.

2) Yes, several items are needed. For a "carpet railroad" you might want to stay with this method, but for a permanent layout you would probably want separate decoders and must have cutouts beneith the switches, in order to be able to service the swith-motors.

3) The Mobile Station 2 is the most modern controller Märklin has. You are well served with it. Even if you later upgrade to a Central Station 2, the Mobile Staitions can still be used as handheld controllers.

4) The uncoupler lift a small ski embedded in the track, which open both relex and Märklin close-couplers. Yes, you can mix the Märklin coupler types.

5) Some people do that, but in that case (a permanent layout) I would prefer K-track. I think Noch has loose ballast made to look just like the C-track plastic ballast.
Depending on your expectations, you could stay with C-track. Ballast the space between track-segments, and give everyhting an acryllic wash, to get a more weatehred and realistic look. You should go browsing on the internet; Lots of nice layout done that way...

BTW: For your two children, the best way to upgrade/maximize your Märklin train might be to get another starter-set (they are so good value-for-money!) which will get you another loco, more track and -especially- another Mobile Station, which -with a special cable- can be set up as "slave" to the first Mobile Station, allowing both kids to control locos at the same time!
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline hxmiesa  
#19 Posted : 30 April 2014 11:06:34(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   

4) Regarding uncoupling, you have to push the wagon to the uncoupler and that's it? Don't press anything at all? What if you have lots of wagons and want to do some shunting? I am lost...

5) I used to apply woodland scenics medium ballast to my previous creations ( I would later on share some photos) and I wondered whether I could apply a thin layer over C-track, to cover the plastic background. I know from first hand experience that ballast and turn-outs don't get along very well. I am not that handy with airbrush....

4) You need to activate it from a simple control-panel (analog) or an external decoder in order to activate it from your MS2 controller. Same external decoder could also be used with switches and some kinds of signals. Usually a decoder can handle 4 switches or 8 uncoupler tracks.

6) The "Ugly-box"? I dont knwo if it exist still, but your method it totally valid!

7) You dont *need* anything under the track. It´s a question of personal taste. Try it! (Personally I think that the plastic ballast imitation dampens the noise sufficiently)

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 30 April 2014 11:08:10(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Marklin do a connector track, but it is rather bulky, and no need I think.
Märklin do not offer connector tracks for MS2 or CS2 (the old connector track "ugly box" is for MS1 and CS1 only).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#21 Posted : 30 April 2014 12:32:58(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
......Personally I think that the plastic ballast imitation dampens the noise sufficiently.

I'd agree, C track without any dampening is much quieter than M track with dampening!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline kokomo  
#22 Posted : 30 April 2014 17:14:40(UTC)
kokomo

Argentina   
Hi!

Thanks again for your time and patience!

I would stick to C-track because what I want now is my kids to have the most of the fun. I will afterwards consider making a layout but for the next months I will focus mostly on playability.

I was thinking of the uncoupler because I have found close-couplers hard to lift and I thought that perhaps with #24997 you could ease this project. I thought it was just "plug and play" not that you needed an extra thing. I will ask more about this, on the appropriate place, so as not to go off-topic that much here.

6) So no special "feeder track" is needed. I will stick to what I have

8) I did not know that another MS2 could be connected to the existing one. It would certainly add new flavor for them. Each with its own. Is it something simple to do? Is there any starter set that you could recommend me? I am going on holidays in 2 months to the States (sunny Florida) so I plan to buy my Marklin stuff there, Here in Argentina you practically have nothing and what you find is extremely expensive.

Thanks once more! It makes me eager to get back home and set up my carpet-bahn and play with them

Offline waorb  
#23 Posted : 30 April 2014 18:48:10(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   

8) I did not know that another MS2 could be connected to the existing one. It would certainly add new flavor for them. Each with its own. Is it something simple to do? Is there any starter set that you could recommend me? I am going on holidays in 2 months to the States (sunny Florida) so I plan to buy my Marklin stuff there, Here in Argentina you practically have nothing and what you find is extremely expensive.

Hello!

Yes, two MS2 could operate together (master and slave). The kids love them, so everyone had control to own locos. Wink

Cheers,

Walter

Offline kokomo  
#24 Posted : 05 May 2014 17:10:52(UTC)
kokomo

Argentina   
Anything special needed? I mean wire? I am seriously planning on buying another one so my daughter can use it
Offline tulit  
#25 Posted : 06 May 2014 02:30:09(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Anything special needed? I mean wire? I am seriously planning on buying another one so my daughter can use it

Nothing else to buy. The second ms2 just plugs into the second port on your track connector box.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by tulit
Offline kokomo  
#26 Posted : 06 May 2014 19:56:52(UTC)
kokomo

Argentina   
Thanks, and automatically recognized as slave or anything else has to be done manually?
Offline kokomo  
#27 Posted : 08 May 2014 20:27:43(UTC)
kokomo

Argentina   
So, I finally bought on ebay this 60652 MS2 to act as slave.
I was told that I needed a #60124 cable to connect each other. Is that true?
Offline StuartA  
#28 Posted : 08 May 2014 20:31:49(UTC)
StuartA

United States   
The 60652 is the old MS1 unit, not the MS2 (60653).

Stuart
Offline kokomo  
#29 Posted : 08 May 2014 20:45:48(UTC)
kokomo

Argentina   
oh! The seller did not tell me that. Perhaps because I just asked if it was compatible with the MS2 to run as slave and he said it was.
Are Ms1 and Ms2 compatible among each other?
Offline 3rail4life  
#30 Posted : 08 May 2014 21:04:47(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Hi,

No, the MS1 will not work with the MS2 or the MS2 digital connector box and vice versa.

Gordon
Offline kokomo  
#31 Posted : 08 May 2014 21:16:59(UTC)
kokomo

Argentina   
So, I can't run trains with both units at the same time, correct?

If that's the case I will ask for a refund
Offline 3rail4life  
#32 Posted : 09 May 2014 00:50:19(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Yes that is correct, might be best to send that one back and look for another 60653.