Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hoover007  
#1 Posted : 20 March 2014 08:00:50(UTC)
Hoover007

Greetings all.

Amazing how a new born baby takes all your railroading time away. Happy that I am starting to get a little time back, but it is limited.

What I would like to do is slowly convert my analog K track turnouts and un-couplers to digital by using k 83 decoders (or viessmann budget decoders) It seems that easiest way would be it find an old Marklin keyboard on ebay but I don't really want to put money into old technology. And with a new born I really cannot justify purchasing a new central station or the likes.

It seems that my Uhlenbrock remote control (63820) has the functions to do a limited amount of the Marklin keyboard functions. I have set up a k83 according to the instructions provided with 2 turnouts (would of liked to set up 4 but only had enough mini plugs provided to do 2 turnouts) and have had some small success.

I think I understand according to the instructions provided with the k83 that the Marklin keyboard is set up in 4 groups. Group 1 is switches 1 - 4 Group 2 switches 5 - 8, Group 3 switches 9 - 12 and group 4 switches 13 - 16. If I set a new decoder code (pins) I get a new set of groups. Group 2, Group 3, etc.

The problem I am having is that by using my remote control the first set of decoders codes , Group 1, Switches 1 - 4. I can get the k83 to work the turnouts. If I set the remote control to the second group, switches 5 - 8 again they work, however for group 3 and 4, switches 9 - 16 I can only get one turnout to work.

If I change the k 83 decoder code (pins) to a new code nothing works. The k83 only works by using the first listed decoder code.

Does this mean that I only have 8 possible turnouts, etc available to me?

Thank you again.

Robert.

Edited by user 21 March 2014 18:28:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2014 21:15:28(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
I understand generally what you are asking about but the specifics of your case are unclear.

Just to be clear,
- The UHL63820 is an "InfraRed and Loconet Adapter" that plugs to the left of a 6021
- you make reference to a "remote control" which I presume is the UHL66510 "IRIS"
These two items may have been received these as a package under UHL64820

If you haven't already done so, I suggest it is the IRIS manual you should be referencing.
https://www.uhlenbrock.d...-021.apd/Bes66502-01.pdf

The combination is able to address 80 locos and 256 accessories although the LocoNet adapter will facilitate 1024 (of the possible 2048) loconet addresses - even if the 6021 can't interpret them - the loconet can.

The IRIS can be setup to control 4 accessories per channel, giving 16 preconfigured addresses. This does not stop you re-configuring the buttons - it just adds a few more keystrokes)
Each channels addresses are consecutive and you use the process on page 7 to define the 1st of those 4 - e.g. 1,5,9,13 - this address relates to the red/green button under the F1 key, with the red/green under the F2 being for the "base address plus 1" .....

"reading between the lines" I am wondering if you are configuring the base address of the IRIS as 4 (for k83 1-4) when you should be setting it to 1.
Peter
Offline Hoover007  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2014 02:01:44(UTC)
Hoover007

Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
I understand generally what you are asking about but the specifics of your case are unclear.

Just to be clear,
- The UHL63820 is an "InfraRed and Loconet Adapter" that plugs to the left of a 6021
- you make reference to a "remote control" which I presume is the UHL66510 "IRIS"
These two items may have been received these as a package under UHL64820

If you haven't already done so, I suggest it is the IRIS manual you should be referencing.
https://www.uhlenbrock.d...-021.apd/Bes66502-01.pdf

The combination is able to address 80 locos and 256 accessories although the LocoNet adapter will facilitate 1024 (of the possible 2048) loconet addresses - even if the 6021 can't interpret them - the loconet can.

The IRIS can be setup to control 4 accessories per channel, giving 16 preconfigured addresses. This does not stop you re-configuring the buttons - it just adds a few more keystrokes)
Each channels addresses are consecutive and you use the process on page 7 to define the 1st of those 4 - e.g. 1,5,9,13 - this address relates to the red/green button under the F1 key, with the red/green under the F2 being for the "base address plus 1" .....

"reading between the lines" I am wondering if you are configuring the base address of the IRIS as 4 (for k83 1-4) when you should be setting it to 1.

Thank you Clappcott.

You are correct in that I purchased a package of both Loconet Adapter and Iris remote.

Yes I downloaded this manual.

Robert.

Edited by user 21 March 2014 18:17:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Hoover007  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2014 18:25:35(UTC)
Hoover007

The SOLUTION!!!

What I discovered was the IRIS works really well as a turnout controller. What you have to do to get it to work for you is, as you assign new decoder codes in the k83 for each set of 4 red/green buttons, the IRIS cannot understand the Marklin Group 1 -1 decoder code it see's it as numbers 1 -4. Group 1-2 the IRIS sees as numbers 5-8, on so on. So group 2-1 would be IRIS number 33-36. This is where the limitation of only 256 numbers comes from. Intellibox allows just over 1000 numbers to be programed in.

Hope this helps someone in the future. Just placed an order for 4 digital decoders.

Robert. Blink