Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Martin T  
#1 Posted : 06 January 2014 20:26:25(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Hi!

I bought a pair of these wonderful locos last spring. Märklin item 36242.

UserPostedImage

So far so good.. BUT.. They have serious problems with the motor control. They run smooth and nice as long as the locos is running without cars on a flat track.
As soon as it is pulling cars and especially on track climbing, or even worse going down, they change speed like a "rubber band effect". It seems (without really knowing) that the decoder is over compensating the motor load, or compensating too fast, or possible keeping the compensation too long time.

I have never altered CV values for the motor load compensation on my CS2...

QUESTIONS:
1) Do you think the rubber band like motor drive problem can be corrected by altering the CV values?
2) If so. Which values should I be working with?

Please help.

Regards
Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 06 January 2014 23:20:53(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Martin T Go to Quoted Post
1) Do you think the rubber band like motor drive problem can be corrected by altering the CV values?
I'm not sure.

Originally Posted by: Martin T Go to Quoted Post
2) If so. Which values should I be working with?
CVs 53 through 56. Also see the thread on three-pole motors where they give advice on setting K and I parameters. Do you use a CS2?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Martin T  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2014 13:22:50(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Thank you Tom for this information!
I've learned a lot and the thread about the 3-pole motor was very informative. ThumpUp
Yes, I use CS2. Smile

However..
I have now tried different K & I-values between 5 to 200 (Default was 64). Different value changed the properties of the motor characteristics as described in the excellent thread about 3-pole motors you refferred to, but no value seem to have an inpact on the rubber band (Push-Pull) effect when the loco is pushed by more than 6 cars in a 2-3% down ward slope.

I also tried to vary the CV for amount of compensation (Default was 29). Changes were noted. For instance values below 10 resulted in unability for the loco to climb 3% slopes with more then 2 cars. Values over 200 resulted in over powered shaky motion especially in low speed.

No setting of K, I or amount of compensation resulted in reduction of the rubber band effect in down ward slope with cars.
The variation between runs in the same slope with the same cars using unchanged CV values was greater than any change noted due to CV value settings.

I wish I could upload a short film to show you, but the motion precision on Youtube is so poor, so I don't think it's worth while.
Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 09 January 2014 20:29:36(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Martin,

I have had the same problem in an analogue model (not Marklin).

As the loco is still under warranty, I would send it direct (with copy of purchase receipt) directly to Marklin in Goppingen.
I have sent quite a few to them from Australia over the years, and have got tremendous service.
Politely explain the problem, and it will be fixed (or replaced) and returned.

The only cost is your postage costs out of Sweden.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.