Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Larry  
#1 Posted : 23 December 2013 07:40:19(UTC)
Larry

United States   
The Wabash Bluebird set issued by Marklin which I acquired after it came out, brought back many model railroad memories from my childhood.

Each Thanksgiving in late November my father would bring out three 4x4 foot boards from storage and start laying Lionel O gauge track on those boards in our basement. The table tops were supported by wooden horses. My anticipation increased as Christmas came closer. Each morning before school I would hurriedly go into the basement to see if my father had made any progress with the layout.

I saw no trains at all until the excitement climaxed on Christmas eve. Then all the Lionel train boxes came out. BigGrin

One Christmas I was blown away by a new Wabash F3 diesel A and B units, an aluminum streamlined baggage car, 2 dome cars and an observation car. WOW...that was incredible! I never expected to have such a train set in my basement. The details on the Lionel diesel and cars were far greater than anything I had laid eyes on.

So, when Marklin announced plans to issue the Blue Bird, I was taken back to those days when I was young. BRAVO for Marklin for recreating a memory of a train set long gone from my youth. And, of course, the details were far greater than my Lionel set I received in the 1950s.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE ON THIS WONDERFUL FORUM ESPECIALLY THE MODERATOR WHO MAKES IT ALL POSSIBLE ThumpUp

Best wishes for a great Christmas and holiday season, good health and happiness in 2014 and in the years to come.

Larry
thanks 13 users liked this useful post by Larry
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#2 Posted : 23 December 2013 12:26:38(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
For me it has to be the Christmas of 1959...I was all of 12 years old...I remember it so clearly: our gifts were put into pillow slips, which were tied around the bedposts; so VERY early that morning I took out that red box with the picture of a thundering steam locomotive...and inside was the starter set with the little tank loco and 3 metal green passenger coaches, and another box came out with the small transformer....oh what joy setting up the M track oval and running the train for the very first time.....and what joy still today to set up that very same set and have it running around the lounge floor....was it Dean Martin who sang "Memories are made of this"?!
Christmas Blessings to all the wonderful folk on the Best Forum Ever!!
best wishes for 2014, Joe
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline Roland  
#3 Posted : 23 December 2013 17:17:25(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
For me it would have to be Christmas 1991. My father bought me the Märklin 2859 set with a BR 111 and 4 passenger cars. We certainly got our money's worth from that set, running it for countless hours on our layout and the many temporary layouts I used to build on our table tennis table. Don't get me wrong, I loved the BR 89 and 2 axle passenger cars and banana box cars he had given me several years earlier, but from our family trips to Germany, the BR 111 was my favorite when we used to watch the trains at the Bremen Hauptbahnhof. Owning a model of the 111 was a dream come true.

On a side note, it was disappointing to find that Märklin no longer produces the BR 111 now that my interest in model trains has been renewed again.
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Roland
Offline stevebkk  
#4 Posted : 23 December 2013 18:02:50(UTC)
stevebkk

Thailand   
Originally Posted by: Larry Go to Quoted Post
The Wabash Bluebird set issued by Marklin which I acquired after it came out, brought back many model railroad memories from my childhood.

Each Thanksgiving in late November my father would bring out three 4x4 foot boards from storage and start laying Lionel O gauge track on those boards in our basement. The table tops were supported by wooden horses. My anticipation increased as Christmas came closer. Each morning before school I would hurriedly go into the basement to see if my father had made any progress with the layout.

I saw no trains at all until the excitement climaxed on Christmas eve. Then all the Lionel train boxes came out. BigGrin

One Christmas I was blown away by a new Wabash F3 diesel A and B units, an aluminum streamlined baggage car, 2 dome cars and an observation car. WOW...that was incredible! I never expected to have such a train set in my basement. The details on the Lionel diesel and cars were far greater than anything I had laid eyes on.

So, when Marklin announced plans to issue the Blue Bird, I was taken back to those days when I was young. BRAVO for Marklin for recreating a memory of a train set long gone from my youth. And, of course, the details were far greater than my Lionel set I received in the 1950s.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO EVERYONE ON THIS WONDERFUL FORUM ESPECIALLY THE MODERATOR WHO MAKES IT ALL POSSIBLE ThumpUp

Best wishes for a great Christmas and holiday season, good health and happiness in 2014 and in the years to come.

Larry

In my early years, I vividly recall my first Hornby train set from Santa (no photos unfortunately), and I subsequently went on to custom-build layouts with my Dad (a carpenter) but, needing money for other purposes, eventually sold them all via ads in the local Belfast newspaper. Almost 40 years later (2 years ago), my wife bought me the Marklin 29500 Set for Christmas and my Marklin HO life was born. At Christmas last year, I acquired an adapted Noch Z-scale Christmas layout (with street lamps and Christmas tree lights) from my local dealer in Malaysia plus a second hand loco and wagons via an eBay dealer in Germany. The intent was essentially an "expensive" Christmas decoration but it has gained many admirers and despite being a HO collector, I've actually grown very attached to it (see attached short video and photo). In fact my 4 year daughter became so interested, that I've just acquired the My World Die Maus Set for her for this imminent Christmas. In short, Christmas and model railways are inextricably linked in my life, at least based on recent trends, and the festive period certainly helps the hobby flourish! ThumpUp
File Attachment(s):
Christmas Noch MZ.mov (816kb) downloaded 19 time(s).
stevebkk attached the following image(s):
Christmas Noch-MarklinZ.JPG
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by stevebkk
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#5 Posted : 23 December 2013 18:16:33(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Originally Posted by: Larry Go to Quoted Post

Larry

Great story Larry! I sure hope you kept that Lionel Wabash set- its a true postwar Lionel classic!!! I've been wanting one for years myself. (yes I have a sickness and run O gauge as well BigGrin )
SBB Era 2-5
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by 5HorizonsRR
Offline Western Pacific  
#6 Posted : 23 December 2013 21:33:56(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Roland Go to Quoted Post
For me it would have to be Christmas 1991. My father bought me the Märklin 2859 set with a BR 111 and 4 passenger cars. We certainly got our money's worth from that set, running it for countless hours on our layout and the many temporary layouts I used to build on our table tennis table. Don't get me wrong, I loved the BR 89 and 2 axle passenger cars and banana box cars he had given me several years earlier, but from our family trips to Germany, the BR 111 was my favorite when we used to watch the trains at the Bremen Hauptbahnhof. Owning a model of the 111 was a dream come true.

On a side note, it was disappointing to find that Märklin no longer produces the BR 111 now that my interest in model trains has been renewed again.

Given that Märklin has come up with modernized versions of 110, 140 and 141, I wouldn't be surprised if they would come with 111 and with metal body. The fact that the 111 had a plastic body could be a reason for why Märklin doesn't produce it anymore.

I also have memories of the prototype and that was in front of for instance a night train I took from Hamburg Hbf to Wien Westbf, via Hannover, Göttingen, Würzburg, Nürnberg, Passau and Linz and thereby avoiding going through the GDR. This in addition to having seen them in differens stations around Germany.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Western Pacific
Offline Webmaster  
#7 Posted : 23 December 2013 22:14:52(UTC)
Webmaster

For me, it is still Christmas 1963 when I got my first train... A 3003, some odd wagons and a 5100 oval which also included the mechanical railroad crossing with a red light....
I played with that for weeks on the floor, especially in the evenings with lights out since I was so fascinated by the crossing and the loco lights...

I had decided on that loco when I and my father visited the local "hardware store" some weeks earlier... And my father managed to fulfill my eager Christmas present wish...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline kbvrod  
#8 Posted : 23 December 2013 23:09:06(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline river6109  
#9 Posted : 24 December 2013 01:14:28(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post

Ghee Whiz, you have to wait for a few more years to find out what 2955 will bring for you BigGrin

first the loco 3000, than the 3001 and than 3003 but I can't remember the exact year most probably the year they first came out.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kbvrod  
#10 Posted : 24 December 2013 01:47:32(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kbvrod Go to Quoted Post

Ghee Whiz, you have to wait for a few more years to find out what 2955 will bring for you BigGrin

first the loco 3000, than the 3001 and than 3003 but I can't remember the exact year most probably the year they first came out.

John

Hi John,all,
Still got it,still runs,....... might set her up Christmas Day!Cool

Mr Dirt Love

p.s. maybe a cleaning and lube LOL
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline 79sunrunner  
#11 Posted : 24 December 2013 03:24:16(UTC)
79sunrunner

United States   
I was about 5 years old when I received a Santa Fe Life Like HO scale train set. Life Like was the brand name, and in America is known as a truly horrible brand. But it gave me everlasting memories. I still have the engine today.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by 79sunrunner
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 24 December 2013 04:07:58(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It was December 1971. Our family was on sabbatical in Switzerland. A few weeks earlier I had received a 3050 Ae 6/6 for my birthday, but we had no tracks with us. Christmas morning, I woke up to find a Start Set with a 3029 and two freight cars. That was not important. What was important is that I could now play with the Ae 6/6 and my brothers could play with their trains (3071) and a Hag BT Pendelzug (190) as well. Much to my surprise, my Dad had also gotten the catenary for the start set.
The headlights on the 3050 created beams on the ground just like real headlights, something that many, if not most, models no longer do. It would take a few minutes more per model to mill the light channels to focus the light, but this makes this childhood memory all the more vivid.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#13 Posted : 24 December 2013 09:02:01(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanks everyone for sharing the memories.....we are indeed a blessed bunch of guys (and girls?!?)
Joe
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline RayF  
#14 Posted : 24 December 2013 10:04:44(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The only Marklin shop in Gibraltar closed down in the early '60s when I was still very young, so none of my Christmasses contained any Marklin from Santa. My Marklin was originally a Christmas present for my brother in 1958, the year I was born, and when I was old enough I was allowed to play with it, as my brother had got bored of it by then.

Unfortunately my Mum did not allow the train set to be out at Christmas time as it would be in the way when my numerous relatives came to visit, so I would have to put it away and not play with it until after 6th January, when the Christmas season was officially over.

Fast forward to post 1984, when I got back into Marklin and resurrected my original trains, and all my purchases after that were more opportunistic rather than seasonal. I think a couple of times in the last ten years I have designated one of my loco purchases as my "official Christmas present", but as I'm buying locos at other times during the year I've found it best to get something else, not related to trains, to make it more special.

If Christmas is a significant time for your hobby, then I wish you the happiest of Marklin Christmasses!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#15 Posted : 24 December 2013 12:44:26(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanks Ray....and just received my Christmas gift from the FD -the Eb 3/5 37137..what joy, what bliss!
Joe
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline Johnvr  
#16 Posted : 24 December 2013 13:05:46(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Joe,

Your collection is growing .. and growing .. and I gotta come over to see it again !

Regards,BigGrin
John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline Roland  
#17 Posted : 24 December 2013 17:54:12(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Western Pacific Go to Quoted Post

Given that Märklin has come up with modernized versions of 110, 140 and 141, I wouldn't be surprised if they would come with 111 and with metal body.

I hope you're right!

My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Roland
Offline Janne75  
#18 Posted : 24 December 2013 20:30:21(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Ray....and just received my Christmas gift from the FD -the Eb 3/5 37137..what joy, what bliss!
Joe

Hi Joe,

What a nice Christmas gift you got ThumpUp . I have a 37131 Eb 3/5 "Habershack" and it is in my opinion the best looking small steam locomotive which I have. Yours have even sounds Drool .

Good taste for a Christmas gift. My all Christmas gifts which have a brand name "Märklin" will arrive in Finland soon. But I had to buy all of them for me myself LOL .

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline mike c  
#19 Posted : 25 December 2013 04:39:38(UTC)
mike c

Canada   

Roland,

Roco makes some nice and colourful versions of the DB BR 111 for 3 Rail AC:
78391 http://www.roco.cc/de/pr...0-0-002002/products.html
78392 http://www.roco.cc/de/pr...0-0-002002/products.html
68403 http://www.roco.cc/de/pr...0-0-002002/products.html
78399 http://www.roco.cc/de/pr...0-0-002002/products.html

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Roland  
#20 Posted : 25 December 2013 18:57:44(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post

Roland,

Roco makes some nice and colourful versions of the DB BR 111 for 3 Rail AC:
78391 http://www.roco.cc/de/pr...0-0-002002/products.html
78392 http://www.roco.cc/de/pr...0-0-002002/products.html
68403 http://www.roco.cc/de/pr...0-0-002002/products.html
78399 http://www.roco.cc/de/pr...0-0-002002/products.html

Regards

Mike C

Interesting - thanks Mike. I'll probably keep an eye out for a 37317 as well.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Roland
Offline Armando  
#21 Posted : 26 December 2013 02:59:19(UTC)
Armando

United States   
44 Christmas Days ago, in 1969, a 9-year old me, woke up to a splendid surprise. "Santa" had got me a 3148 luxury train set with the BR 01 (3048) and 4 D-Zug-Wagen. The set came with M-track and a pair of turnouts, which allowed the construction of an oval-shaped layout with a siding. "Santa" had also brought me a 30 Watt all metal blue transformer, 4 station lamps #7047 and a Faller grass mat. Included was also a new item catalog for 1970! I still remember the thrill of operating that 3048, and having it produce smoke. (Blessed be "Santa", wherever you may be now. I miss you tons).

I still have my very first faithful 3048 from that set, which I later converted to digital operation.

Best regards,
Armando García

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Armando
Offline Janne75  
#22 Posted : 26 December 2013 08:13:54(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post
44 Christmas Days ago, in 1969, a 9-year old me, woke up to a splendid surprise. "Santa" had got me a 3148 luxury train set with the BR 01 (3048) and 4 D-Zug-Wagen. The set came with M-track and a pair of turnouts, which allowed the construction of an oval-shaped layout with a siding. "Santa" had also brought me a 30 Watt all metal blue transformer, 4 station lamps #7047 and a Faller grass mat. Included was also a new item catalog for 1970! I still remember the thrill of operating that 3048, and having it produce smoke. (Blessed be "Santa", wherever you may be now. I miss you tons).

I still have my very first faithful 3048 from that set, which I later converted to digital operation.

Hi Armando,

You were a very lucky 9-year old boy. I'm glad you still have it and also that you shared your nice Christmas memories.

All the best to you,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline sjlauritsen  
#23 Posted : 26 December 2013 11:46:38(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
My Märklin memory was the Christmas when I was around 6, I got a train set because my dad thought I might like it. I have been into trains as far back as I can remember. I still have it, in its box an all. :-) The locomotive was the KLVM with a flat wagon and the red tip-wagon. Loved it. :)
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by sjlauritsen
Offline abisel  
#24 Posted : 03 January 2014 05:45:33(UTC)
abisel

United States   
It was Christmas 1959 when my brother and I got our Marklins. We were living in Saudi Arabia as my dad worked for the Arabian American Oil Company as an electrician teaching the Saudi's to rewind electric motors.

We got the passenger set with the 3048, a freight set with the 3027, the 3-car commuter 3025, the tank loco 3004, a bunch of track, turn-outs, cross-overs, 7186 turntable, loco shed, wire, connectors, switches, all the stuff a 9 year old kid and his older brother wanted for Christmas.

They are still with me. They all have that smell of the old cardboard boxes that had been in storage for so many years. Only occasionally taken out to breathe once and a while.

Last year I posted the restoration of the 3048. https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...FINISHED.aspx#post375119 The 3027 is on static display in my brothers library, but I got a replacement of the same vintage. The 3025 runs fine after a rebuild, the 3004 too. I have added a 3022, the premium digital starter set 29849 with the F7 and Big Boy and another 3048 that I am converting to digital.

Edited by user 03 January 2014 15:11:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by abisel