Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline HvR  
#1 Posted : 04 July 2005 14:49:36(UTC)
HvR

Hi All,

I posted the following question to M* some months ago, but never got an answer. [:(!]
Perhaps one of you can "clear the smoke".

Question 1: Can it harm a smoke generator to be ran out of smoke-fuel?

Question 2: Can it subsequently harm the decoder function port (6080, 6090 or newer ones) when the smoke generator ran dry?

Question 3: Does the answer of any above question depend on how the smoke generator is connected: parallel to front light or connected to separate function port?

Myself, but particularly the kids like smoke coming out of my steam engines, but I am rather reluctant in building in smoke generators. Particularly in some of my older 6080 equipped locs. Smoke from the generator is OK. Smoke out of my decoders is a different matter....

Thanks in advance for your advise. Smile

Regards,

Hans
Offline Maxi  
#2 Posted : 04 July 2005 15:09:47(UTC)
Maxi

I can relate to the no reply situation. I am still waiting for a response on the digital decoder for the turntable. Mine failed to work right out of the box, so I fixed it myself and it works every time now.

I don't see a problem with the smoke generator running out of fluid and damaging the decoder. It is best to turn off the function which controls the smoke generator when the smoke generator runs out of fluid.

Typically the smoke generator is connected to function 1 which is independent of the front running lights.

I also have seen where a relay was used in order to provide more power to the smoke unit than what the decoder possibly could in order to get a better production of smoke. The decoder would activate the relay which supplied power directly from the track to the smoke unit.

If you decide to use a smoke unit make sure you get the one designed for digital as it will handle the constant higher voltage on the track.

Also I found it helpful to use a syringe with a long narrow needle to fill the smoke unit. This allowed me to fill the smoke unit faster with little to no spillage of the smoke fluid onto the locomotive.

Regards
Maxi
Offline Gert-Jan  
#3 Posted : 04 July 2005 15:48:04(UTC)
Gert-Jan

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by HvR

Question 1: Can it harm a smoke generator to be ran out of smoke-fuel?

Question 2: Can it subsequently harm the decoder function port (6080, 6090 or newer ones) when the smoke generator ran dry?

Question 3: Does the answer of any above question depend on how the smoke generator is connected: parallel to front light or connected to separate function port?

Actually there are two kind of smoke generators, see http://www.scintilla.utwente.nl...eptember99/msg00572.html

The "old" digital decoders give a (semiconductor) drop in voltage on their outputs, so the traditional 10 did not smoke that well.

Seuthe developed the 11 for use on those digital operation.
But new decoders have been fixed for the voltage loss...so the old conventional 10 should be used...allthough the 11 smokes much harder but can be burned out if dry [xx(]
Mosty era III DB.
Offline Davy  
#4 Posted : 04 July 2005 16:18:04(UTC)
Davy

Yes esspecially when the decoder has already seen a lot of years.
I have more then 10 locs with a smoke generator. I have two our three locs by which this function F1 on the decoder is broken.
M-track with a CS2.
Offline Guus  
#5 Posted : 04 July 2005 19:05:28(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Hans,

I have experienced the same problem like Davy did.

My smokegenerator burned the F1 power transistor the first time I switched it on.

According to some previous posts on this subject, smokegenerators can be a pain in the neck at times.I don't want to discourage you,but please be careful.

Best regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline foumaro  
#6 Posted : 05 July 2005 00:08:19(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
You never got an answer?Did you expected to get an answer?biggrinbiggrinbiggrin
Offline HvR  
#7 Posted : 05 July 2005 15:02:49(UTC)
HvR

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by foumaro
<br />You never got an answer?Did you expected to get an answer?biggrinbiggrinbiggrin

[B)] Not any more!!!!

Smile Thanks everybody for the reply. So I am not the only one anxious about smoke generators. I have 1 steamloc with a smoke generator (37885, fabulous machine), but although my kids like it very much, I will keep it my only "smoking" loc until M* comes up with a decent overload protection on the F outputs on their decoders.

Unless I go for the option with an indirect power supply over a relay, as Maxi suggested. Just to protect the decoder output. Does anyone have specific suggestions in this direction?

Regards,

Hans
Offline rschaffr  
#8 Posted : 05 July 2005 16:15:45(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I haven't had a problem with an empty smoke generator (yet). I drive most of them directly from the decoder. The only one I have installed a relay in is my BR53 that has two smoke generators whcih would certainly overload the decoder, so I have a relay for that one.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline hmsfix  
#9 Posted : 05 July 2005 20:23:24(UTC)
hmsfix

In analog mode I never had problems with running a smoke generator without oil. However, my analog 3047 with a 7226 is usually run with medium or low speed. So the steam generator has mostly 8-11 V, no danger to overheat it.

In my digital steam loks I usually switch the smoke generator off when there is no oil in, but I already had longer runs where the steam generator was switched on, without oil. No problem as it seems.

The current drawn by a steam generator is 120 - 150 mA at maximum, whereas the decoder output can be charged with 200 mA. I think the only dangerous thing that can happen is a short circuit, i.e. direct contact of the decoder output to the case. This will most certainly send to power transistor on the decoder board to the semiconductor heaven...

Regards

Hans Martin
Offline HvR  
#10 Posted : 05 July 2005 21:18:43(UTC)
HvR

Hans, Ron,

Nice to hear good responses as well.

As a follow up on the above listed discussion, I had a closer look at my locs. Almost all of them are 6080 equipped machines, either bought with the decoder or self equipped, with only 1 function. This one is, as can be expected, connected to the front and rear lights. So any smoke generator has to be mounted parallel to the front lights. Well, looking at the above listed messages, I might as well not do this since it will not be possible to switch the generator off without turning the lights off as well. It would not be a problem if a dry generator is safe, but I do not want to run the risk. Period.
One other loc is a fireless "dampfspeicher" steamloc, so a smoke generator........
My only one with a smoke generator already mounted in is the above mentioned 37885, which has a separate F1 function. This one is safe as far as I can see, as long as I do not run the generator dry.
Well, this is what my steamloc collection is looking like and will continue to look like. Thanks all for your answers.

Just a small remark: You know what wonders/bothers me? Neither in the loc booklets, nor in the big M* digital "Einstieg" book, and nor in the instruction that comes with the smoke generator, does M* give any warning against baking the smoke generator dry.....

Regards,

Hans
Offline prc  
#11 Posted : 07 July 2005 04:24:44(UTC)
prc

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />I haven't had a problem with an empty smoke generator (yet). I drive most of them directly from the decoder. The only one I have installed a relay in is my BR53 that has two smoke generators whcih would certainly overload the decoder, so I have a relay for that one.

Since the BR53 had the smoke generators already configured on the decoder, did you install the relay modification yourself? If so can you give any directions on how you performed the modification, parts used etc.?

Thanks in advance
Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA
Offline rschaffr  
#12 Posted : 07 July 2005 07:11:49(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Paul: First off, my BR53 is a 3102 I converted with a 60901 kit several years ago. I used a 24v mini-relay intended for PC board mounting. I mounted it with double sided tape in the tender with the contacts up. I attached the F1 lead and the Function Common (orange) to the coil of the relay, track power to the base switched contact and the smoke generators to the switched contact. I used an OEG PCJ-124D3MH relay. I use the same type of installation on the trains I have converted to power the coach lights from the engine. I use a relay in the lok switched with a function, and Viessmann current conducting couplers. I have found that later decoders, such as the LokSound, have a lower voltage on the function output. In those cases, I use a 12v relay (OEG PCJ-112D3MH).
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline prc  
#13 Posted : 07 July 2005 08:04:49(UTC)
prc

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />Paul: First off, my BR53 is a 3102 I converted with a 60901 kit several years ago. I used a 24v mini-relay intended for PC board mounting. I mounted it with double sided tape in the tender with the contacts up. I attached the F1 lead and the Function Common (orange) to the coil of the relay, track power to the base switched contact and the smoke generators to the switched contact. I used an OEG PCJ-124D3MH relay. I use the same type of installation on the trains I have converted to power the coach lights from the engine. I use a relay in the lok switched with a function, and Viessmann current conducting couplers. I have found that later decoders, such as the LokSound, have a lower voltage on the function output. In those cases, I use a 12v relay (OEG PCJ-112D3MH).

Thanks for the information! Great idea on the coach lighting, I am going to look into doing that with mine.

Thanks again.
Paul
Granby, Ct.
USA
Offline Guus  
#14 Posted : 17 July 2005 00:11:11(UTC)
Guus

Netherlands   
Hi Hans,

While reorganizing my desk [xx(],I came across a Märklin Insider news with a reference to your question # 1.
One smokegenerator in particular was mentioned ,the Seuthe nr. 10 which is vulnerable to damage when running dry.The Seuthe nr. 10 has the same dimensions as the Märklin 7226.

Well this may not be a complete answer to your question but at least an indication that harm can be done especially with the more sensitive smoke generators like the Seuthe nr. 10.

Best regards
Guus
Kind regards,
Guus
Offline HvR  
#15 Posted : 17 July 2005 12:52:24(UTC)
HvR

Hi Guus,

Thanks for your reply. Just like the old Deutsche Bundesbahn logo somewhere end sixties "Wir haben unsere Lokomotive das Rauchen abgelernt" (We made our loc's quit smoking), I will keep my locs smokeless.......

Although purely out of passion I only have steam engines on my layout.....

"Smoking" the decoders (mainly 6080's) is just a too big of a risk for me. I simply can't afford spending some 100 Euro's for a new decoder just to see my steamengines smoke. But now I am falling into rehersing myself.

Have a nice holidaytime.

Regards,

Hans