Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline aswap5  
#1 Posted : 03 December 2013 14:37:18(UTC)
aswap5

India   
Hello everyone,

After 40 years, I am getting back into model railways (and Marklin). (This is my second attempt at a second childhood :-))!

My first Marklin in childhood was the starter set containing the beautiful little 3069. And like Steventrain, I also have, among other analogue locos - a 3073 Warship class loco, but alas, not in mint condition. Assorted - truly - carriages and wagons. And an eclectic collection of hard used M track in various conditions from good downwards.

The truly amazing thing, to me, is that despite not being used at all from 1973 to 2005 - except for cleaning a couple of times - everything still works! (well not 3029, a capacitor or diode or something - keeps coming off).
In 2005, on a trip abroad (I live in India), I bought a Delta set (29625) with the hope of getting back into the hobby. The first few runs of this were delightful, but one run set up on a table top ended in disaster, with the loco falling off the table. I think I have fixed it, but let’s see. In 2010, I acquired some more C track, another loco, the most basic digital one and some wagons, none of which have ever actually run.

This year, I can finally (and hopefully) devote the time and energy needed to do something.

I now have five analogue locos (3029, Warship, BR103 plus a 60760 kit, a Lima Rc3 (SJ) and an SNCF shunter), a delta loco and the basic shunter. A fair number of wagons and carriages and a combination of M and C track, with connecting rails. I have also bought the MS2 with 60113 and the PSU.

Naturally, I have a laundry list of questions and I am going to impose on all of you to answer them. Please assume total ignorance, some dimwittedness and a more than average clumsiness when you reply, thanks.

1. Assuming my Delta loco is mechanically sound, I assume I can run it using a Mobile Station 2 along with the FX loco. Am I right?

2. How fiddly is it to convert the 103 with a DCM using the 60760?

3. Would you suggest I convert the others to digital? I know the 3029 is hard, but the Warship should be easier.

4. What is better the conversions, given the age of the locos - using the decoder (I forget the nam) that doesn't require a magnet), a ESU magnet plus decoder or changing the motor altogether and then adding a decoder? The reason I ask is that for every 100 euro I spend on parts, I’ll have to spend at least 50 on shipping. And the Indian rupee is quite weak at the moment!

5. I have added a pickup slider to the Lima, but is it worth converting at all? I think it is a 12V DC loco.

For the foreseeable future, I’ll have to run a bed-top, temporary layout (layout in the guest bedroom), so my next set of questions will come after I set up my first few trials. They’ll concern signals, point motors etc. And the set after that will be about temporary scenery. (Don’t say I didn’t warn you!BigGrin )

Thank you for any and all responses. And it is great to be a part of this forum, where I have already spent a lot of time lurking!

Ashok
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by aswap5
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 03 December 2013 14:52:42(UTC)
H0

Hi, Ashok,

Welcome to the forum.

Re 1: Delta locos should run with the MS2 (the decoder probably supports 15 addresses - just set the same address on decoder and on MS2).

Re 2: Märklin made BR 103 with DCM (two coal brushes) and FCM (one coal brush, one copper brush). The 60760 is for the DCM version only and conversion is not very difficult.

Re 3: I haven't seen your Warship loco. With starter set locos selling around €70 incl. VAT, it could be an option to keep her analogue and get a new digital loco. The BR 216 from the 29710 is one example.

Re 4: I prefer the full motor upgrade. Never tried the Uhlenbrock decoder that does not require new motor parts, I'd rather get the ESU magnet plus decoder than that Uhlenbrock decoder.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline aswap5  
#3 Posted : 03 December 2013 15:46:30(UTC)
aswap5

India   
Thank you Tom.

Valuable advice. I'll post a picture of the Warship. Think green V200 in essence.

Regards

Ashok
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 03 December 2013 17:14:49(UTC)
H0

I know the Warship. A Warship in mint condition is a collectible - and probably worth more if it stays analogue.
You say yours is not in mint condition, so maybe a conversion to digital won't do harm to its value.
Some folks keep very old stuff analogue.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline GlennM  
#5 Posted : 04 December 2013 19:18:42(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Welcome to the Forum, and I hope your second attempt at a second childhood is successful BigGrin BigGrin

BR

Glenn
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline aswap5  
#6 Posted : 05 December 2013 16:28:05(UTC)
aswap5

India   
Thank you Glenn.
Offline scarfo  
#7 Posted : 07 December 2013 14:41:14(UTC)
scarfo

India   
hi ashok

nice to hear of another Marklin user in India - I'm in Goa! I've quite a big collection and some years experience with Marklin, mostly with analogue, but I'm just playing around with digital, some basic delta and some more sophisticated digital both marklin decoders and others.
I'd be pleased to give you any advice as far as my knowledge goes.
Incidentally I completely agree to keep your warship original and analogue- very collectable - I'm envious as I don't have one!
regards
Charles (scarfo)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by scarfo
Offline aswap5  
#8 Posted : 07 December 2013 15:11:32(UTC)
aswap5

India   
Hi Charles,

A quick question: where do you get spares (pickup sliders, traction tyres, couplers and such) from? Do you ebay or have you found anyone local in India?

Regards

Ashok

p.s. you've just given me one more reason to visit Goa!
Offline scarfo  
#9 Posted : 08 December 2013 06:19:38(UTC)
scarfo

India   
Originally Posted by: aswap5 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Charles,

A quick question: where do you get spares (pickup sliders, traction tyres, couplers and such) from? Do you ebay or have you found anyone local in India?

Regards

Ashok

p.s. you've just given me one more reason to visit Goa!

hi ashok - I get my spares on my once a year return to UK (I usually combine this with the October Eurospoor 3 day exhibition/swapmeet in Utrecht Holland - absolutely esential for all things Marklin, old collectable and new.)
So I keep quite a big stock here with me. I ebay all the time, but have my purchases sent to my UK address as I'm sorry to say, the post here is too unreliable for such things - then pick them up when i get there.
No one I am aware of holds stock of such things in India, but i do have an address someone gave me of a guy that is supposed to be the Marklin Agent for India (? dont know if this is correct or not as I haven't yet made contact - but will try to do so when i get to Madurai in feb 14.)
B. Jaisankar, Victory Hobbies, HIG 4540 Villapuram, Madurai, 625011
Welcome in Goa anytime!
regards
Charles