Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Larry  
#1 Posted : 03 December 2013 00:36:27(UTC)
Larry

United States   
(I have searched the Forum to find the answer to this question but did not see it. Sorry if I missed it.)

After moving and a few years delay, I have finally set up the first level of my Marklin layout.

I want to use my new Central Station 60214 which has not ever been used. In looking at the manual and the two plugs that came with the Central Station, it appears that the wires into the 2 plugs need to be reversed. Of course, I do not want to proceed with this if doing that will cause problems with Central Station or any locomotives.

SPECIFICALLY:

The diagrams in the 60214 instruction manual (and a small insert that was in the box) are the opposite of the 2 plugs provided to make the connections between the layout track and the programming track.

In the "Connections to the Layout" directions in the manual, it shows that the plug into Central Station (bird's eye view of plugs with 2 screw heads facing me) has the BROWN ON THE LEFT and the RED ON THE RIGHT.

When I hold the 2 wires with the plugs that came with the Central Station up the same way with the screws facing me the BROWN IS ON THE RIGHT AND THE RED IS ON THE LEFT.

IS IT CORRECT THAT WHEN HOLDING THE PLUGS UP THAT I NEED TO REVERSE THE WIRES INTO EACH SO THAT THE BROWN WIRE IS ON THE LEFT AND THE RED ON RIGHT??? This would then make the wire colors correct as stated in the instructions and comply with the special insert with the "!" exclamation point showing brown on the left and red on the right.

I am asking this question because this is such a fundamental first step to setup and I am surprised plugs would be supplied that are the opposite of what they should be.

THANKS MUCH!

Larry

Offline witzlerh  
#2 Posted : 03 December 2013 02:11:08(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Rather simple but you have to look underneath.
Red Wire goes to B (Bahnstrom, german for power)
Brown wire goes to O (null, german for ground)

I know this well as the CS1 and CS2, you have to switch the wires.
My CS2 (60213,60214,60215) from the top down has the red to the left.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline Larry  
#3 Posted : 03 December 2013 05:16:01(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Thank you, Harald.

So, my assumption is that when looking at the screws underneath the plug, the brown (null) should be on the left and red (Bahnstrom) on the right?

With my Marklin 6021 tranformer it was clear with separate wires which was the ground/brown and the power/red and where they connected separately into the transformer.

ON ALBERTA AND CANADIAN RAILROADING:

What a beautiful province you live in. I am not sure what eras are covered in Canadian railroading 3-6, but last year I ordered and acquired the Lionel O gauge Canadian Pacific F-3 with the cars. What a beautiful train that was. I am also looking forward to running a new Rapido VIA Rail Turbotrain on my newly assembled DC HO track.

I was glad to see this month's TRAINS magazine has 10 pages on VIA Rail, which I understand passes right in nearby Edmonton.

Thanks again,

Larry

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 03 December 2013 05:20:41(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The diagram in the CS2 manual is correct - Red wire on the right, Brown on the left when looking at the CS2 from the rear. Plug the socket into the CS2 and wire it up accordingly.

(This is the exact reverse to the Ecos, which has the connections the other way around).
Offline 3rail4life  
#5 Posted : 03 December 2013 07:58:00(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
The diagram in the CS2 manual is correct - Red wire on the right, Brown on the left when looking at the CS2 from the rear. Plug the socket into the CS2 and wire it up accordingly.

(This is the exact reverse to the Ecos, which has the connections the other way around).

Not entirely correct, yes the diagram does show the proper orientation of the wires on plug and since the plug can only be fitted one way, this should be the end of the discussion... But no, when one looks closer at the the illustration, it becomes apparent that something is amiss. All the pictures in the manuals illustrating the rear ports have the B and 0 labeled incorrectly (reversed). Fortunately this is not the case on the actual CS2 but it can be cause for some confusion if one takes the illustrated labels on the sockets from the manual literally, knowing that red goes to B and Brown to 0.

Hopefully someday they will fix these illustrations to end the confusion once for all.

Cheers,

Gordon

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 3rail4life
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 03 December 2013 09:47:06(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: 3rail4life Go to Quoted Post
Not entirely correct..........

Yes I am correct. Why??

Because you are looking at the early version of the CS2 manual and I'm looking at the later CS2 manual version (1.4.0), which was produced when the 60215 was released.

The early version has the mistakes, the later version doesn't (the first two images are from the early manual, the later two are from the v1.4.0 manual).
Bigdaddynz attached the following image(s):
Page 32  from CS2_ControllingSwitchingRunning_EN.jpg
Page 33  from CS2_ControllingSwitchingRunning_EN-2.jpg
Page 36  from CS2_ControllingSwitchingRunning_EN_1.4.0.jpg
Page 37  from CS2_ControllingSwitchingRunning_EN_1.4.0.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 03 December 2013 10:04:28(UTC)
H0

The early version has the mistakes, the later version doesn't
I think that point is important: do not blindly trust the manual, check first you have a current manual.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#8 Posted : 03 December 2013 10:15:32(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
.......which was produced when the 60215 was released.

Actually, it was when the 60214 was released.

Later version of the manual can be found here (copy and paste link into your browser):-

Code:
http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/digital22008/files/Anleitung_CS_60214_EN.pdf
Offline 3rail4life  
#9 Posted : 03 December 2013 16:36:14(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
The early version has the mistakes, the later version doesn't
I think that point is important: do not blindly trust the manual, check first you have a current manual.

Blushing Yes Bigdaddynz, you are right about the later English version, the illustrations in question have been corrected. I am happy to see that.

My research was tainted by using the 60215, D GB, dated 0211, version for my example in which the illustrations in the German language section are shown incorrectly. Cursing As are the German versions currently found online at Märklin.de as can be seen from this example: Anleitung_CS

So there is still work to be done with the manual...

Cheers,

Gordon

Edited by user 04 December 2013 02:08:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline witzlerh  
#10 Posted : 03 December 2013 22:13:19(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Larry. I think you got the wire colors figured out.

As for Canadian Railroading. Yes the VIA Canadian passes within a couple miles of my place. I occationally see it pass through. I have taken it 3 times, once to Vancouver and twice to Winnipeg. Yes, very beautiful and relaxing, especially if you get a berth.

I currently have the Rapido HO scale Canadian. I have it running on 2 rail for now but I am contemplating converting it to 3 rail. The cars on the train can barely tolerate R3 curves. Also the full train is 12 ft long (13 cars and an ABA unit). That is how much I love the VIA Canadian.

Do come and take a trip from Toronto to Vancouver some time. Unfortunately, VIA is slowly cutting service.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline eroncelli  
#11 Posted : 22 December 2013 18:46:35(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
Just for the record: should you mismatch the 2 wires, nothing dangerous happens.
Locos will run, but magnetic switches won't operate.
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 22 December 2013 18:51:39(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: eroncelli Go to Quoted Post
Just for the record: should you mismatch the 2 wires, nothing dangerous happens.
Locos will run, but magnetic switches won't operate.
Some locos won't run, some accessories decoders will work with swapped wires. Some locos will run, but smoke generators won't work.

But yes: no damage will be done.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage