Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS  
#1 Posted : 29 October 2013 16:26:54(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Hi all,

During the previous weekend I have played around with my Märklin. Mainly to get Yaasan's desktop station with railuino to work.
However since all my Märklin items including locos etc have been packed away safely at my parent's house I have not used them for some time. At our new place I don't have a safe spot to store them at and the insurance won't cover them if the worst would happen. The only locos I have had at the new place are those that miss the original packaging.

I have two delta locos at home right now but to test Desktop Station with more locos I am going to fetch some from my parents house. The problem is that I lost the excel sheet with all my inventory information, and along with that, the addresses of the locos.. Crying Yes, I know, this sucks, big time..

Some of the locos have DIP switches for setting the addresses so that is not going to be a problem. However, the locos without DIP switches will be problematic. I have heard there is a way do query the address using a 6021/CS1/CS2. Is this correct?

I have a Mobile Station 1 and Desktop Station to make use of. Desktop Station has a virtual 6021 that I can try. If none of these will work I am SOL. In that case I will have to do it the hard way by adding 10 addresses at a time and try them with the MS1.

If you have any other ideas on how I can identify the addresses I will gladly accept them. Smile

Kind regards,
Oliver
SBB Era IV - VI
Offline Janne75  
#2 Posted : 29 October 2013 16:47:23(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

I always put a very small dymo sticker with loco address under them and also include loco address in it's name in CS2. I have also a manual list of the addresses. If I forgot to do all above I normally use then my 6021 starting with address 01, then 02.... as long as needed to find it. This is quite fast way to do it with a 6021.

There can be better ways to find the address, but this is my way to do it.

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 29 October 2013 17:12:26(UTC)
H0

Hi, Oliver,

Almost all decoders allow to set a new address without knowing the old address (except some bally Uhlenbrock decoders).
So I would just assign them new addresses. Can be done with MS1.

MS2, CS1, CS2, Intellibox and maybe some others can search for MM addresses. MS1 cannot.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline BrandonVA  
#4 Posted : 29 October 2013 17:48:08(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
In some cases the Marklin manuals may be available for the newer locs on Marklin's site (www.maerklin.com). Typically the default address is listed in these.

-Brandon
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 29 October 2013 21:26:36(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I set the address of my locos to the last two digits of the serial number. If the number is greater than 79, then I move in one digit and so on.. That way I can look at the serial number an know the address I have used for a loco. As long as I don't get a serial like S999999 I will be okay - even it that case I am likely to set it to 9. RollEyes
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
#6 Posted : 30 October 2013 08:12:53(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies.

Janne: This is actually a good idea and since the fleet is growing I should start to do that too.

Tom: Great info, but just to be clear. MS1 is unable to set new adresses? (In your post you state both things, just want to make sure)

Brandon: Unfortunately I have changed almost all the adresses.

Adrian: That is a good idea. It is similar to what I used to do when the fleet was considerably smaller. My way of doing it was: Re460 would be adress 46. Re465 would be 65 etc. Of course this only worked as long as I had only one of each model. Your way is much better.

I guess I will have to try and borrow an MS2 then if it can change the adress without knowing the previous one.

Kind regards
Oliver
SBB Era IV - VI
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 30 October 2013 08:58:11(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS Go to Quoted Post
Great info, but just to be clear. MS1 is unable to set new adresses?
MS1 is able to set new addresses for Märklin locos without knowing the old address. Same for 6021.
MS2, CS1, CS2 are able to automatically search the current address of a loco (something the MS1 cannot do).

With MS1: you can use one loco entry for e.g. item 36330 from database to re-program all locos. Put one loco on the track, then change the address for that 36330. Try lights and speed knob to see if loco responds to new address.
When done, replace the loco and do it again with the next loco.

It's a nice try to determine the address from the loco number (running number or serial number). But sooner or later you will get duplicates ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
#8 Posted : 04 November 2013 08:58:13(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Hi again,

Sorry for my late reply. I will try the method you described Tom. Thank you all for your advice Smile

Oliver
SBB Era IV - VI