Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline camcath  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2013 09:00:56(UTC)
camcath

Australia   
Hi

I am considering joining Marklin Insiders Club. I wondering about reviews for the club.

Many Thanks
Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2013 09:19:57(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
The club will send 6 mailing per year (each package have Marklin magazin and Club news magazine)

Plus some in package -

Two A year with Marklin DVD.
New item brochure.
Summer and fall new item brochure
Coupon for free Full catalogue and Club wagon.
Coupon for Insider locomotives and rolling stock.

The Club mailing arrive in UK, Your mailing arrive in New Zerland about 2 weeks later.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2013 10:11:11(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
In terms of the magazine delivery the service is pretty good for Aussies. The club car is also good, but the delivery is very slow. My 2012 wagon arrived last month.

The free catalogue is not free as there is a delivery charge and it does not get down here until March sometime. I have stopped asking for it and get it from an overseas dealer or eBay instead. Last year I collected mine in person from the dealer Hobby Center 1 in Göteborg - first time I have ever seen a catalogue before Christmas. (BTW It was a great store too! Very friendly service.)

There is an Insider website, which is good for accessing the electronic version of the Insider News, while you wait a couple of weeks for delivery for the package. There are some videos, track plans, and video covers for the free DVDs.

Overall, I like it and will subscribe again next year. Perhaps other Aussies would like to share their thoughts?
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline witzlerh  
#4 Posted : 20 October 2013 16:41:47(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
Don't forget about the Märkin TV. Before Simba took Märklin's over, they produced excellent videos once every 2-4 weeks. Now it is about every 6 weeks or so.
The English magazines are much shorter than the German ones. This is mainly due to less advertising but there are less articles as well.

So lets add it up.
Märklin main catalog $12
Insider wagon $40
6 Märklin magazines $30 or so including shipping. Only recently has the included Insider been worth more with good service tips.
2 nice DVD's $15. ($5 for DVDs that I only watch once, $7 for those I watch more)
Access to nice insider models. I only used it once as I model era 5-6 with focus on passenger trains.
Until recently Mäklin TV was worth $20 a year as I am currently paying $30 for Model Railroader Video Plus at $40 or so with much more videos.

Hey when I add this all up, I get close to the $120 CAD/USD a year that I have been paying for the membership, so not a bad deal. Feel free to correct some of my estimates of the individual elements.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
Offline petestra  
#5 Posted : 20 October 2013 17:16:28(UTC)
petestra

United States   
I do enjoy the membership and now even moreso since I've gone digital too. There are

mainly digital articles. I do wish they would showcase member layouts like the old

German edition used to do. Peter Smile
Offline Tom Jessop  
#6 Posted : 21 October 2013 00:56:16(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

I think it is a case of flipping a coin as to wether it is worth while buying or not. I have been a insider since the club started& sometimes I wonder if it is worth while buying each year, some of the articles are very basic for someone who has had "M" for almost 60 years , I wish it was like the older magazine where there were some very in depth articles on modifications , layouts etc but beggars cant be choosers . The additional items which a member receives is worth the money each year so I suppose the magazine could be looked as being free . Delivery to Oz is pretty good at present probably being about 2 to 3 weeks behind Europe but the club car is always way behind schedule. Give membership a try for a year or so & see if you like it You can always decline to resubscribe the following year. They take credit card on the application by email so no problem with exchange rates .

Tom in Oz watching the fires in the Blue Mountains where we used to live .
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline ozzman  
#7 Posted : 21 October 2013 08:30:49(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
I recently retired. Although I won't be living hand-to-mouth, my income will be a lot less than what it was, and so I must "cut my coat to suit my cloth". It was my personal judgement that I wasn't getting enough out of membership to justify the annual fee, so I have terminated my membership (with some regret).
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline camcath  
#8 Posted : 21 October 2013 08:42:48(UTC)
camcath

Australia   
Ok, all good advice, will try for one year. One final thing, it appears it may be best for me to choose the German and not English option? Lucky enough to speak German.....
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 21 October 2013 09:14:21(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: camcath Go to Quoted Post
One final thing, it appears it may be best for me to choose the German and not English option?
I've always had the German version.
It seems to have more pages and some English MM articles come with a delay of two months.

So with sufficient reading-comprehension the German edition will probably be a good choice.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline camcath  
#10 Posted : 21 October 2013 10:08:58(UTC)
camcath

Australia   
Thanks Tom, German version it is.