Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harvey  
#1 Posted : 15 October 2013 03:23:58(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
In August I began to clean my freight and passenger car (wheels) and service some locs. To clean the wheels, I use Iso and a sponge/cloth that my wife buys at Pathmark. It's spongy with thickness of 25 sheets of paper. I cut 1/2 strips and dip into the Iso. Apply this to the wheels and then use a flat edge srew driver to scrape of the dirt.

Every thing worked fine. In October, I decided to swap some locs that were sitting unused for around 6 months. In particular, I swapped in my ML2000 CC (39302). I cleaned the wheels (those that turned freely). It ran poorly - many herky-jerky sessions. So, re-cleaned the wheels and slider but no improvement. Opened the loc and either I caused it or it happened then but the red wire to the slider separated. So, fixed that. But still no improvement. Then tested other locs and found same situation. Since I hadn't cleaned the tracks (M) thoroughly, I decided to do that. Used the same (Iso, sponge) approach but after wiping all the tracks I took a dry sponge and rubbed the tracks down. This solved the problem and all he locs work well.

While working out this probem(s) I did run the Marklin track cleaning car but found that derailed easily. The thought I had (finally, to the question) is whether it would be better to have sliders run over the outer rails. The continuous rubbing along the tracks could (?) help keep the tracks clean. My thought is that the slider continually going over the 3rd rail does keep that relatively clean and so why not do the same for the tracks. I envision a flat car with two 'outside sliders' and with some cargo (to apply pressure and prevent derailing).

Has any one tried this? Any companies marketing this? I can foresee some issues (turn out tracks may create shorts).

Regards,

Harvey
Offline efel  
#2 Posted : 15 October 2013 08:23:48(UTC)
efel

France   
Hi,

In fact, the third rail is not "dirty" but simply oxidized, and the slider can remove that thin layer of oxidation.
The outer rails, at the contrary, get dirty (oil, dust), and I don't think that kind of dirt can be removed with a slider.
Fred
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by efel
H0
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 15 October 2013 08:31:56(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I've heard that wheels or outer rails should not be cleaned with screw drivers, sandpaper or other abrasive methods. The results are small scratches and the dirt will stick even better.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Danlake  
#4 Posted : 15 October 2013 09:07:51(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Harvey,

I think the pukos on the third rail gets cleaned due to the fact that they are protruding.

Any oxidation and/or dirt will be scrapped off and residues will just fall off in between the pukos.

I don’t think a slider would haves same effect if used on the solid outer rails.

Wheels on wagons and loco already give some friction and that doesn’t seem to clean the tracksAngry

I believe the black smudge on the outer rails is mainly due to let over residues from the soft rubber tires that then gets combined with oil and general dirt.

Best way to clean is manually and with a soft cloth and some cleaning fluids of your likingThumpUp

I never clean my pukos – only using a vacuum cleaner to get rid of dust and hair.

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake