Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline SteamNut  
#1 Posted : 28 September 2013 14:43:56(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I have a Marklin 39390 lok. It runs as good as it looks on my analog non-digital layout. However Marklin did not include the smoke unit which I feel they should have considering the cost of it Angry . So I brought the recommended unit 72270 and installed it. It does not work. I made sure it made contact but I suspect that it will only work on digital as it is separate function. Any help?
Fred
Offline BrandonVA  
#2 Posted : 28 September 2013 15:10:36(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Fred,

If I read correctly, you are using this locomotive in analog operation. If that's the case, you won't be able to use the smoke unit. You need to use digital control to turn on the smoke on this model, it is controlled by the (mfx) decoder. Most digital locomotives from Marklin will run under analog control, the decoder is "smart" enough to know it's being run analog and responds accordingly. However, while the loco will run in analog mode, most of the functions will not work (sound, telex, smoke, etc). I say most, because headlights will work under analog operation on newer decoders (such as the one this model has).

Unfortunately, you will need a digital controller (6021, MS, MS2, CS, CS2, etc) to use the smoke function. Attached is a list of functions that will be available depending on the controller used. MS2 would be the cheapest controller that would allow all the functions on this loco.

It may be possible to re-wire the loco to allow smoke to work in analog operation, but I am not sure. I am also not sure if this is a good idea, but others can probably address both parts of this concern if you are interested.

I have the same challenge, I ended up setting my layout up so I could switch between analog control and digital control (MS2). My preference was to not convert my analog locomotives, but without having the MS2 available I couldn't get the most out of my newer digital models.

-Brandon
BrandonVA attached the following image(s):
Capture.JPG
Offline SteamNut  
#3 Posted : 28 September 2013 15:20:08(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Thanks for the reply, I suspected as much. I plan to keep my layout analog maybe in the future to build a separate digital layout. I did notice that the old Delta loks will support the smoke unit. Rewiring a lok is beyond my ability.
Offline BrandonVA  
#4 Posted : 28 September 2013 15:27:26(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the reply, I suspected as much. I plan to keep my layout analog maybe in the future to build a separate digital layout. I did notice that the old Delta loks will support the smoke unit. Rewiring a lok is beyond my ability.

Fred,

No problem. Delta loks that support smoke may work in analog operation, Tom will probably respond with a more detailed answer. The Delta loks will also run under analog or "digital" control, but it will require opening the loco and changing dip switches on the Delta decoder to switch between the two, so probably choose one or the other. The Delta loks run well under analog control in my experience.

You could also fit a smoke generator in an analog steam loc, if you have any. Most of them will accept it, 3082, 3084, 3085, etc.

-Brandon
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 28 September 2013 15:31:57(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
I made sure it made contact but I suspect that it will only work on digital as it is separate function. Any help?
According to the description in the product database the smoke generator should work in analogue operation.
It's a Märklin convention that F0 and F1 will be on when locos are run in analogue mode.

Triple check the contact and make sure there is no air bubble under the smoke fluid and do not put too much fluid in.
The smoke stack should be blank inside (no paint).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline BrandonVA  
#6 Posted : 28 September 2013 15:36:32(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Tom,

Thanks for correcting me again. I made an assumption, but I didn't even read the product description (whoops).

As you point out, it clearly says "The headlights are maintenance-free, warm white LEDs. The triple headlights change over with the direction of travel. The headlights and the smoke generator, which can be installed in the locomotive, will work in conventional operation and can be controlled digitally."

-Brandon