Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline BrandonVA  
#1 Posted : 24 September 2013 15:50:44(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Hello all,

I recently bought an MS2, and now I'm looking for a digital telex locomotive. There are some good choices (V60, V90, V100, later era variants and other livery), but I am concerned about the style of telex couplers. I have seen some here say that the "new" style telex couplers do not work at all with relex couplers. Is this pretty much universally true? Does anyone have experience with this? It seems the "new" style work fine with close couplers, I am mainly concerned with the functionality with relex.

I know the old style work fine with reflex (I have a few analog telex locos), and to a lesser degree they work well enough with close couplers (at least in my experience).

Thank you,

-Brandon

Edited by user 24 September 2013 19:41:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2013 16:55:38(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Brandon,

I can confirm that the new style Telex do not work reliably with Relex couplers, and not at all with the older, all metal types.

I work around the issue by fitting as many of my wagons as possible with replacement close couplers if they have NEM pockets. My older wagons without NEM pockets are restricted to use with Non-Telex locos, or in the middle of a rake of wagons where it will not be shunted by the loco directly.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline franciscohg  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2013 18:42:38(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Yes, the new telex dont work at all with old relex couplers.
My solution was to have some shunters with old telex, and some with new ones....
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline BrandonVA  
#4 Posted : 24 September 2013 19:07:26(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
My solution was to have some shunters with old telex, and some with new ones....

Franciscohq,

That is what I suspected. I still have a lot of stock with relex, not all with NEM pockets...I like relex for playing, maybe not as realistic, but easier to work with (and especially for the kids), so looks like my path is chosen. Maybe 37615 will be a nice digital equivalent of my much beloved 3065...;)

-Brandon
Offline biedmatt  
#5 Posted : 24 September 2013 19:25:04(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I replaced all the close couplers on my freight cars with 72060 relex couplers. A couple cars need something different, but all my freight cars are now relex. For passenger cars, I like the tight close look of the close couplers, so for those I use power conducting drawbars or the 7204 drawbars. I finally had enough with the close couplers uncoupling when I don't want them to and not coupling when I do want them to.

Edit: I now have a brown paper lunch bag full of close couplers. I also have five lokos with the old, reliable as a piece of granite, telex couplers.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline franciscohg  
#6 Posted : 24 September 2013 20:56:50(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

Franciscohq,

That is what I suspected. I still have a lot of stock with relex, not all with NEM pockets...I like relex for playing, maybe not as realistic, but easier to work with (and especially for the kids), so looks like my path is chosen. Maybe 37615 will be a nice digital equivalent of my much beloved 3065...;)

-Brandon

But there is no problem in running your 3065 in digital, you can uncouple all your old cars.....( i also have many, no plans to sell them...)
I have converted my newly acquired one with a spare old profilok decoder that i have found in a box, and it works flawlessly.

Me, i do love my old 3032, and they are running fully digital with 5-pole engines....to shunt modern cars i have bought a modern BR81 from a starter set with NEM pockets and fit the new Telex on it.
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 25 September 2013 00:21:49(UTC)
H0

I like close couplers and bought 7205 for some of those cars that do not have a NEM pocket.

Coupling is not really close, but a bit closer than with Relex couplers.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 25 September 2013 09:44:01(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Tom, I agree,

I have a box of 7205 and a box of 7203, and convert as many of my wagons and coaches as I can to the close coupler.

I find that they couple to each other more smoothly than the Relex, which sometimes have the annoying habit of both loops going up together when trying to couple. Uncoupling is also generally trouble free. The main problem with the close couplers is when you try to use them with other types. Some of the newer Relex work fine with them, but the older ones don't.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 25 September 2013 11:49:22(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Yes, close coupling is absolutely desirable and i agree that if you can put them on some rolling stock you have to do it, but there are the tons of older cars in wich to put a close coupler would involve a major surgery ( i have seen it somewhere ) that.
It is true that the Relex sometimes do not work fine, but spending many, many, too many hours with the little calibration tool can improve that...BigGrin
Offline BrandonVA  
#10 Posted : 25 September 2013 15:07:21(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   

But there is no problem in running your 3065 in digital, you can uncouple all your old cars.....( i also have many, no plans to sell them...)
I have converted my newly acquired one with a spare old profilok decoder that i have found in a box, and it works flawlessly.

Me, i do love my old 3032, and they are running fully digital with 5-pole engines....to shunt modern cars i have bought a modern BR81 from a starter set with NEM pockets and fit the new Telex on it.

Thanks franciscohq, I may consider it. I plan to continue switching my layout between analog and digital operation. For the most part my digital and analog collections do not overlap (no repeat locos), so I get two different sets of locos driving this way. The V60/260 may have to be an exception. Sure, I could get the newer V90 telex, but smaller locos work better for shunting on my smaller layout :) I could also get another 3065, 3031, 3086, 3309, etc and convert to digital, but I'm not sure if the price would be much less than just buying a one with the new tooling (I do like that 37615 is mostly metal).

We'll see, I'm still thanking it through.

-Brandon

Offline BrandonVA  
#11 Posted : 25 September 2013 15:25:43(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Tom, I agree,

I have a box of 7205 and a box of 7203, and convert as many of my wagons and coaches as I can to the close coupler.

I find that they couple to each other more smoothly than the Relex, which sometimes have the annoying habit of both loops going up together when trying to couple. Uncoupling is also generally trouble free. The main problem with the close couplers is when you try to use them with other types. Some of the newer Relex work fine with them, but the older ones don't.

Ray,

Do you ever find the cars with close couplers just sort of bump each other without latching together? I find this happens to me sometimes. The relex couplers are a bit more tolerant to coupling without being 100% straight to each other, whereas the close couplers tend to not like this. The other nice thing for playing with relex is V60 based shunters like 3064, 3065, 3141, etc have the little "centering" relex couplers on the loco that sort of force the couplers to center. Of course these don't work at all with close.

I agree relex and close don't mix that well, it depends on the wagon. as Franciscohq states, you can send some time adjusting and sometimes get better results, but mostly on the older wagons with metal couplers (or the loco).

As a pattern you may have noticed emerging from my recent posts, I have sort of have two Marklin "collections"...one of more classic Marklin, a lot of analog locos, a lot of freight cars with relex couplers (and not too many with NEM pockets), as well as tin-plate coaches. I also have a smaller collection of digital locos, and cars with close couplers...which tend to be newer and thus more "realistic" looking. My desire is to continue this trend, and try to prevent too much overlap between these two "collections" (mostly in terms of locos). However, you can see my desire for a shunter with a traditional style telex coupler is contrary to this old/new methodology. Obviously most of my newer cars have close couplers. However, my experience is that my kids just have an easier time dealing with relex couplers...so for shunting I will make an exception to the "rule" of the collections.
I will probably end up looking to get both kinds, new and old over the long run...I like that new blue/cream 290 (37907).

-Brandon
Offline biedmatt  
#12 Posted : 25 September 2013 19:56:31(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I finally had my fill of close couplers when a train seperated between the same two cars three times in as many laps around my track. It's not a big track at all either. The second and third time I looked closely at the couplers to see if anything was wrong, pulled the cars to see they were coupled and they then did it again. On the fourth try I changed which loop was on top and it did it again. Perhaps they bounce open if there is a moment when the coupler is not under load. I don't know. All I know is I hate them. They have also fouled with the underside of the buffers on some cars and cause a derailment.

The relex couplers may leave a bit of space between the cars, but that is no big deal to me on a freight train. I like long trains, so it's a good way to get a longer train without the added load on the loko. The relex never uncouple on me unless their out of adjust. A quick fix and their 100 % reliable again.

I would have liked to spend that $400+ I spent on couplers on rolling stock, but one big PITA has now ended.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline RayF  
#13 Posted : 25 September 2013 20:17:03(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Guys, do whatever works best for you.

I have a similar situation to Brandon with both older stock and newer stock, but in general if the wagon can be fitted with close couplers I will do so. I also run all my trains digitally, most of the older locos having been converted over the years. I only have 4 locos which will remain analogue for nostalgic reasons.

I have two V60s, both of the newer tooling, but my older one of the two, a red 37650, has classic Telex couplers, so I use that with the older Relex wagons. The newer one is a blue and cream 37616 which has the newer Telex.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline franciscohg  
#14 Posted : 25 September 2013 20:21:59(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Well, i think that is finally the point, and perhaps the rule might be not to mix old and newer couplers when shunting wants to be done!
Offline biedmatt  
#15 Posted : 25 September 2013 20:37:18(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Ah, but that's the rub. Now you need to run what is essentially two shunting yards. One for relex and one for close couplers. Maybe not physically seperated, but seperated by types of couplers.
Matt
Era 3
Offline franciscohg  
#16 Posted : 25 September 2013 20:55:12(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Well, a little price to pay for running nice cars an engines that covers more of 50 years of time.....
The cost of playing with a good brand.....Cool
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 25 September 2013 21:29:11(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
I finally had my fill of close couplers when a train seperated between the same two cars three times in as many laps around my track. [...] Perhaps they bounce open if there is a moment when the coupler is not under load. I don't know. All I know is I hate them.
I suspect it could be a problem of the metal loop not moving freely. Bending it a little may help.

Roco Universal Couplers are a good replacement for those Märklin couplers that still cause problems after widening the metal loop. They are a must for third party locos where the M* close coupler would collide with the buffers.
I wouldn't say I hate them, but there are occasional quality problems and the design is not NEM compatible.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Drongo  
#18 Posted : 30 September 2013 11:28:08(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
I've had a lot of trouble with Marklin couplers. Firstly, I can't couple wagons, carriages or locos when on a curve. Everything has to be in a straight line - very annoying. Why are Marklin couplers like this?

Secondly, what is the best coupler to use - the relex or the close?

Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline Tom Jessop  
#19 Posted : 30 September 2013 12:35:05(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

In real life trains it is also virtually impossible to couple up to anything sitting on any sort of curve , one soon learns not to uncouple a wagon or carriage on any curve while shunting because you will have a hell of a time recoupling at a later stage. The only way round this predicament is to put air into the brakes so that they will come off & then give a nudge with the engine so that the wagon will move to a less sharper curve of the trackage . Sometimes it may have to be done a few times because when the air hoses reach their stretched length they are designed to part at the hose coupling. Screw couplings would be more acceptable to curves but Auto couplings as used on modern rolling stock would not.

Tom in Oz.
Real life train driver.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline BrandonVA  
#20 Posted : 30 September 2013 14:22:35(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: youngagain Go to Quoted Post
I've had a lot of trouble with Marklin couplers. Firstly, I can't couple wagons, carriages or locos when on a curve. Everything has to be in a straight line - very annoying. Why are Marklin couplers like this?

Secondly, what is the best coupler to use - the relex or the close?

Greg

Greg,

I think most will not couple on a curve, especially tighter curves (R1, etc). Relex are a little better than close, but not much.

It's hard to say which is best, a lot of varied responses in the posts in this thread. It seems to me it's just whatever personal experience people have and what kind of "compromises" they are willing to make.

Personally I find relex are easier for playing, and generally stay coupled to other relex (thus overall I find relex work best). Mixing them with close is hit or miss. I generally find the close stay coupled to each other too, except for some "cheaper" freight cars I have, but they are harder to get apart by hand (I use an uncoupler track or a small piece of wood). Of course almost all new Marklin rolling stock come with close couplers...so that may decide for you. There are also third party options, like the ones Tom mentions.

-Brandon
Offline H0  
#21 Posted : 30 September 2013 16:00:15(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: youngagain Go to Quoted Post
Everything has to be in a straight line - very annoying. Why are Marklin couplers like this?
That's the only way guide mechanisms can work.

But Roco universal couplers couple more easily on straight track when they are slightly out of centre while Märklin couplers require manual intervention to centre couplers more often. But they do not couple in curves either.

If you want to couple cars in curves, then Relex is the way to go as Relex couplers allow coupler heads to turn while being coupled and also allow them to couple while not in a straight line.
This behaviour can be a problem at times: if a heavy train goes downhill, the couplers can move to the side and the buffers might get hooked.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Drongo  
#22 Posted : 01 October 2013 08:16:03(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Thanks Brandon & Tom for your advice. It looks as though there really isn't an outstanding coupler available.

I remember when I was a boy in the 60's, I had a Triang set and the couplers they used were very simple and effective - they would couple on straights and curves. Does anyone remember these?

Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline RayF  
#23 Posted : 01 October 2013 13:37:15(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Greg,

Those Triang couplers were and are still being used by Hornby, if you are refering to the standard UK "tension lock" type. Recently Bachmann introduced a more compact version, which is slightly better visually, but the tension lock coupler has to be the most visually obtrusive coupler in use today. Many in UK compare them to "...a level crosing gate run over by a loco". BigGrin

I think that we can't get away from the fact that most couplers need to have the vehicles more or less in line to be able to couple and uncouple successfully. With this in mind my latest layout has at least one half-straight track on either side of every uncoupling track, and even this is not enough when trying to uncouple coaches.

Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline BrandonVA  
#24 Posted : 01 October 2013 14:36:33(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi Greg,

I think that we can't get away from the fact that most couplers need to have the vehicles more or less in line to be able to couple and uncouple successfully. With this in mind my latest layout has at least one half-straight track on either side of every uncoupling track, and even this is not enough when trying to uncouple coaches.

I think this is a big part of layout planning, getting straight sections around your uncouplers and good straight areas in shunting yards. I have done the same thing on my current layout, but luckily in most cases I am fortunate enough to have room for more than 1/2 length. The same logic should be applied if you design a shunting area for a telex loco. Of course using shorter cars should also make smaller sections more usable.

The best combination I have found to "cheat" coupling straight on is with a old style V60 (3064, 3065, 3131, 3141, 3131, etc) and a car with a relex coupler (as mentioned above). Here is a shot of 3141, if you take a look at the front coupler (rear is the same) you'll see how it's designed to assist centering. The telex versions of this loco have this style coupler on the back (with telex as well), but do not include it on the front. The second photo is of 3065 showing the front coupler.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage

-Brandon

-Brandon