Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Johnvr  
#1 Posted : 07 September 2013 12:51:23(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hi all,

I have a few 7226 Smoke Units which are no longer working.

As with most things requiring maintenance, the first thing I do is to open them up and see what is inside.
Ok, so I have opened some of these up to see what is wrong.
Seems like there is some thin coil probably some incandescent wire coiled around the pipe.
If that is wire is broken or not conducting, do you think some incandescent coil from a used light bulb work work ?

Has anybody tried to maintain these ?
Or do you just go and purchase some new ones ?

Regards,BigGrin
John
Johnvr attached the following image(s):
DSC00323.JPG
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline franciscohg  
#2 Posted : 07 September 2013 16:10:21(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
So far, just replaced them....
Wich material do you think is the coil?
As far as i know the coil from a light bulb will burn inmediately if you use it in the air.......
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 07 September 2013 16:58:49(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
As far as i know the coil from a light bulb will burn inmediately if you use it in the air.......
Yes - when it's glowing white (AFAIK 6000° C). For a smoke generator, you do not want it to get so hot.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Roberto Romano  
#4 Posted : 07 September 2013 18:53:25(UTC)
Roberto Romano

Hi Johnvr,

I have no experience with smoke generators, but I suppose the small coil is made of a very high melting point metal such as Ni-Cr or W (Tungsten) coiled to rise just above the flashing temperature of the smoke oil when the 20 VAC are applied to the coil. The rushing current in the coil will heat the coil to red or white to burn the oil. Eventually, the hot wire oxidizes and finally burns out as it gets thinner. It is an interesting question that you ask, it might be easy to repair these smoke generators simply and cheaply. I would try to repair the generators, but it would require some trial and error and you will need to find the thin Ni-Cr wire. I bet somebody here in the forum has already tried it.
Regards, Roberto
Offline BR01097  
#5 Posted : 07 September 2013 22:45:55(UTC)
BR01097

United States   

We are given a straight pin, a measure of thin wire, and what looks like a segment of hollow pipe with a parabolic cut at one end; these comprise the cleaning or maintenance kit. No instructions. Thank you for having the guts to pull one apart. I have a few that do not work unless full current is applied, despite cleaning contact surfaces and grounding the units. I will be very interested in learning more about maintaining these devices, a little too expensive to write off.

Confused Huh

Collector of Märklin fine-quality trains since 1966.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BR01097