Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Poll Question : Are you buying the Insider 37455 BR45?
Choice Votes Statistics
  Total 85 100%
Guests can't see poll choices and poll results. Try login or register. Guests can't vote. Try login or register.
3 Pages<123>
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mbarreto  
#51 Posted : 03 January 2014 15:29:04(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
I attach here some photos of the 37455 inside with some focus on the motor. Can someone tell me please what motor is this?

Inside the 37455:
37455 inside body

The 37455 motor (too covered...):
37455 motor
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline Armando  
#52 Posted : 03 January 2014 15:55:59(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Does the sticker on the box say "Made in China"?
That motor with that piece of black tape at the end, looks the epitome of cheapness to me.
Best regards,
Armando García

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Armando
Offline foumaro  
#53 Posted : 03 January 2014 16:32:15(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I have just opened my BR45 37450,the motor is similar but I think is not the same.Maybe someone of the experts of the forum can give us a safer opinion.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Frankenbahner  
#54 Posted : 03 January 2014 16:32:55(UTC)
Frankenbahner

I already have an older Liliput BR 45, which I once got for 100 € in a good used condition. It has been digitalized with the best decoder on the market - an ESU Lokpilot, and converted to LED lights instead of the old bulbs.

I don't think I need a second loco of this class. Propably I won't even by any other new steamers this year, at least any in the classic red/black DB/DRG livery (only exception: Märklin "blue box" re-editions), as there are so many of them in my collection. I'll rather spend money on some nice trams instead.

Regards,
Florian
H0 3-rail AC with DCC, MM and mfx, 2-rail DC streetcars, and N gauge
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Frankenbahner
Offline mbarreto  
#55 Posted : 03 January 2014 17:15:46(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
I have just opened my BR45 37450,the motor is similar but I think is not the same.Maybe someone of the experts of the forum can give us a safer opinion.

For sure the motors are different. This one has a core (the unpowered 37455 has wheels blocked) and the 37450/37452 has a coreless motor (the wheels move relatively free when the loco is unpowered).

I didn't have courage to remove the sticker... :)

Edit: I saw nothing written on the black motor cover.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline BrandonVA  
#56 Posted : 03 January 2014 17:25:52(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post
That motor with that piece of black tape at the end, looks the epitome of cheapness to me.

Armando,

I believe only models sold in the US/Canadian Market have a box sticker with country of origin. I get them when I order things from the Walthers supply chain (AJCkids, Micro Macro Mundo, etc etc etc), but when ordered directly from Euro (Lokshop, DSL, Ebay.de), they never have the sticker. I don't think the EU regulations are the same as the US, they do not require it so it is not done. Perhaps one could email their local US dealer and ask.

-Brandon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline TimR  
#57 Posted : 03 January 2014 17:36:14(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Both Marklin 37450 and 37452 use Maxxon DC motor...
In my experience, it rivals SDS in terms of quietness and smoothness, though probably a bit lacking in torque...

It's been discussed before in the forum in more detail...

Click here

In the above, fellow member, and representative from Maxxon Australia (audiopip) gave a more elaborate detail re the use of Maxxon motors on many Marklin models.

The new model (37455) sure look to be equipped with the new "standard" motor..

Still the old High-Efficiency Propulsion in Marklin's term..

But the correct term should have been "Ultra-Low-Cost-propulsion from unknown manufacturer, so that it may please our number crunchers..."

Edited by user 04 January 2014 10:29:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Now collecting C-Sine models.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TimR
Offline Armando  
#58 Posted : 03 January 2014 18:07:36(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

Armando,

I believe only models sold in the US/Canadian Market have a box sticker with country of origin. I get them when I order things from the Walthers supply chain (AJCkids, Micro Macro Mundo, etc etc etc), but when ordered directly from Euro (Lokshop, DSL, Ebay.de), they never have the sticker. I don't think the EU regulations are the same as the US, they do not require it so it is not done. Perhaps one could email their local US dealer and ask.

-Brandon

Brandon,

I'm expecting to receive mine any day now, as I did go ahead and ordered it. Soon enough, I will be able to read the sticker on the box. I hope I won't come to regret bitterly that I ordered this locomotive (and for the huge $$$$ that I paid for it).
Best regards,
Armando García

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Armando
Offline steventrain  
#59 Posted : 03 January 2014 18:18:56(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
37455 review on youtube.

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline mbarreto  
#60 Posted : 03 January 2014 18:34:14(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

The loco runs ok, although this is only what it seems to me (no measures), and at the moment I have no reason to change the motor. It seems though that it can be changed to the Maxon motor that is used in the 37450/37452.

The Märklin P/N for the 37452 motor is E212528 and for the 37455 motor is E191443. They both cost 120 euros (motor + bed of the motor). It is very expensive for a motor, although Maxon coreless motors are very expensive, specially if not ordered in great quantities. The same price for both motors seems also to be not reasonable as one is coreless and the other it is not.

I also don't know if the electronics of the 37455 would support the Maxon coreless motor just by changing some CVs.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline TimR  
#61 Posted : 04 January 2014 10:42:04(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: mbarreto Go to Quoted Post

The loco runs ok, although this is only what it seems to me (no measures), and at the moment I have no reason to change the motor. It seems though that it can be changed to the Maxon motor that is used in the 37450/37452.

No, don't change the motor to Maxxon!
Your new model is new.. and BR45 RRP had always been very expensive.

But if the motor fail one day, and you're looking for a Maxxon replacement, go to SB Modellbau instead of buying spare part from Marklin catalogue.

They are official partner of Maxxon and Faulhaber, and seemed to have carved a niche in replacement motor for models of various brands.

Besides,
I got the feeling that Marklin will not keep the stock (or support) of the older generation bell-shaped armature for much longer..

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by TimR
Offline RayF  
#62 Posted : 04 January 2014 12:47:02(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I agree with Tim's advice. There's no need to do anything now for a problem you may or may not have in the future with the motor. If the loco runs OK just go with it as it is. If in the future the motor fails there will be options then concerning replacements.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Goofy  
#63 Posted : 04 January 2014 13:55:59(UTC)
Goofy

What´s difference?
Even if 3 pole is still okey,let people change out motor anyway.
It´s not you who decides,it does the owner of the BR45.
If there is possible to change out motor by the way...
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline RayF  
#64 Posted : 04 January 2014 14:03:36(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Yes, Anders, it's just my opinion. Everyone can do as they please with their own money.
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline mjrallare  
#65 Posted : 04 January 2014 14:35:02(UTC)
mjrallare

As Tim and Ray says, why change it if everything is ok? But it looks very cheap indeed. I have the loco (incl. waggons), and even with 10% discount it was quite expensive. My main concern is not so much what the motor can do today as what it can do in the future. Time will tell I guess...

In my Dm3 the motor costs 15€ and in this model (incl. a piece of metall) 120€. Are they really identical?

I won't pre-order pricy models like this anymore. At least not until Märklin has explained to me what kind of motors they put in their high-end models and what properties these motors have. This new motor seems to me as a "revelopment".

/Torbjörn
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by mjrallare
Offline mbarreto  
#66 Posted : 04 January 2014 18:46:03(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: mjrallare Go to Quoted Post

In my Dm3 the motor costs 15€ and in this model (incl. a piece of metall) 120€. Are they really identical?
/Torbjörn

The part Märklin is asking 120€ is indeed the motor plus the metal part to which it attaches. I think the cog wheels that are inside of that part too..

In the end the price of things are what people pay for it.
Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mbarreto
Offline mjrallare  
#67 Posted : 04 January 2014 20:02:16(UTC)
mjrallare

In the end the price of things are what people pay for it.

Agreed, but while I expect that kind of pricing-policy from a seller of used cars I expect a bit more from Märklin. I sure hope there are at least some differences between the two motors...

On their homepage Märklin says; unser technologisches Know-How und unsere Qualitätsprodukte sind weltweit gefragt and zu unseren Kernkompetenzen in der Feinwerktechnik und der miniaturisierten Antriebstechnik...

To me these new motors are not in line with those quotes and with what Märklin has "taught" me in the past. I hope I'm proved wrong and that the motors in three years time will have been found to be of no inferior quality to those we have had before.

/Torbjörn
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mjrallare
Offline H0  
#68 Posted : 04 January 2014 20:35:19(UTC)
H0

The old motors are coreless motors.
The new motors have an iron core. The product database promises a fly-wheel, but I don't see that on the photos.

I don't have that loco. Unlike the old model, the new loco is reported to stop abruptly when the power is turned off. This might be a problem if you use signals that turn the power off - or if the controller turns the power off (e.g. when another loco derails).

On the MEC Fulda video they say it starts jerky.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#69 Posted : 04 January 2014 21:12:52(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
37455 review on youtube.

This video has been removed from Youtube for some reason!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline H0  
#70 Posted : 04 January 2014 21:19:27(UTC)
H0

Try this video (maybe updated):

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline mbarreto  
#71 Posted : 04 January 2014 21:34:23(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

I don't confirm it.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline Armando  
#72 Posted : 04 January 2014 21:59:50(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Stopped by the post office today to collect my parcel containing 37455. and matching car set #46081.

I can gladly confirm that the package says "Made in Germany"! Märklin may have gone cheap on the Chinese-made motor, but not totally cheap on the locomotive (at least not yet).

My first impression is excellent. I think this is a top-rate model, despite its overpriced tag. The locomotive's overall appearance is very powerful. Will have to test the locomotive more thoroughly on a layout in order to assess the quality of the new motor.

Sound functions are on par with recent steam locomotives, and the sounds are synchronized. Very smooth start and overall motion. I've already added some extra effects on the CVs, such as the fading of the headlights (zoom), and the controlled release of smoke (smoke).

Will post some pictures later.
Best regards,
Armando García

thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Armando
Offline Goofy  
#73 Posted : 05 January 2014 09:10:37(UTC)
Goofy

Even if some new models have the 3 pole motor,you have 5 years warranty for the locomotiv.
So does even cheap motor.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline NZMarklinist  
#74 Posted : 07 January 2014 05:48:59(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Stopped by the post office today to collect my parcel containing 37455. and matching car set #46081.

I can gladly confirm that the package says "Made in Germany"! Märklin may have gone cheap on the Chinese-made motor, but not totally cheap on the locomotive (at least not yet).

My first impression is excellent. I think this is a top-rate model, despite its overpriced tag. The locomotive's overall appearance is very powerful. Will have to test the locomotive more thoroughly on a layout in order to assess the quality of the new motor.

Sound functions are on par with recent steam locomotives, and the sounds are synchronized. Very smooth start and overall motion. I've already added some extra effects on the CVs, such as the fading of the headlights (zoom), and the controlled release of smoke (smoke).

Will post some pictures later.

Hi Amando, All
I received mine on New Years eve, after a 30 day trip with DHL ThumbDown , and like you have only given it a brief test. I would concur with your experience so far. eg chuffing rate at 6 per revolutiuon, is correct (3 cylinders) Smile .
What tool did you use to edit the functions btw ?
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline Armando  
#75 Posted : 07 January 2014 06:13:12(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post

Hi Amando, All
I received mine on New Years eve, after a 30 day trip with DHL ThumbDown , and like you have only given it a brief test. I would concur with your experience so far. eg chuffing rate at 6 per revolutiuon, is correct (3 cylinders) Smile .

Hi there!

Editing those functions is done on the Central Station. You will need to access the CV's for this locomotive. Once you've clicked on the wrench menu, click on CVs. Once all CVs will have been read:

1) Fading Headlights: You will need to push the "headlight" function button (f1). Two fields will appear, for the headlights forward and backwards, identified with direction arrows. Click on one at time. This will trigger an "effect" field. It has a drop-down menu. Select "zoom". Repeat exactly the same steps for the headlights backwards. Once done, click on the save icon. Test the function on the locomotive.

2) The "smoke" effect will control the flow of smoke proportional to the locomotive's speed (or kind of...). Read the CVs again as before. Once read, push the "funnel" function button (f2). A "function" field will appear. Click on it. This will trigger the "effect" field. Select "smoke" from the drop-down menu.

Please let me know how it went and if I can be of further assistance.

Cheers!
Best regards,
Armando García

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Armando
Offline NZMarklinist  
#76 Posted : 07 January 2014 07:19:30(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   

I don't confirm it.

I would like to have seen a translation, normally their (MEC Fulda) video's can show translated captions.
They mentioned something about Meiningen.
Recently I was having a look at the Meingingen Werks on Google Earth, on there I found this, I hope it will be restored
NZMarklinist attached the following image(s):
45.010 at Dampflockwerk Meiningen 2009.jpg
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline NZMarklinist  
#77 Posted : 07 January 2014 08:18:44(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   

Hi Amando, All

Hi there!

Editing those functions is done on the Central Station. You will need to access the CV's for this locomotive. Once you've clicked on the wrench menu, click on CVs. Once all CVs will have been read:

1) Fading Headlights: You will need to push the "headlight" function button (f1). Two fields will appear, for the headlights forward and backwards, identified with direction arrows. Click on one at time. This will trigger an "effect" field. It has a drop-down menu. Select "zoom". Repeat exactly the same steps for the headlights backwards. Once done, click on the save icon. Test the function on the locomotive.

2) The "smoke" effect will control the flow of smoke proportional to the locomotive's speed (or kind of...). Read the CVs again as before. Once read, push the "funnel" function button (f2). A "function" field will appear. Click on it. This will trigger the "effect" field. Select "smoke" from the drop-down menu.

Please let me know how it went and if I can be of further assistance.

Cheers!

Thanks Armando,

Sounds like you have a CS2 ?

The CS1-R doesn't have quite the same access for Marklin Decoders.

In saying this you have highlighted a feature advantage the CS2 has ThumpUp

Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline H0  
#78 Posted : 07 January 2014 08:34:15(UTC)
H0

In saying this you have highlighted a feature advantage the CS2 has
Humbug.ThumbDown
The functions mentioned here (fading headlight, smoke generator that reacts to speed) can be set with a CS1 (for mfx decoders) and a CS1R (for mfx decoders and for ESU decoders).ThumpUp

Go to this screen on the CS1 and click the "+" at the function output.
Function Mapping

Select "Zoom" for lights that fade in/out or "Smoke" for a smoke generator.
Function Mapping

Complete review:
https://www.marklin-user...reloaded.aspx#post266887
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline mrmarklin  
#79 Posted : 08 January 2014 01:04:29(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
I received mine just this week.

Will report on running in a couple of weeks.
From the People's Republik of Kalifornia
Offline NZMarklinist  
#80 Posted : 08 January 2014 11:57:16(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
In saying this you have highlighted a feature advantage the CS2 has

Humbug.ThumbDown (Putting it mildy for you) Blink

The functions mentioned here (fading headlight, smoke generator that reacts to speed) can be set with a CS1 (for mfx decoders) and a CS1R (for mfx decoders and for ESU decoders).ThumpUp

Go to this screen on the CS1 and click the "+" at the function output.
Function Mapping

Select "Zoom" for lights that fade in/out or "Smoke" for a smoke generator.
Function Mapping

Complete review:
https://www.marklin-user...reloaded.aspx#post266887

Thanks Tom, not having used this feature before, I'd forgotten it was there. Blushing The only place I'd seen any detail about it was your excellent postings on the CS1-R features two years ago. before my last post, I was having a poke around on the edit screen of my 05.001 which of course is an MM decoder and the +'s did not show.
I shall edit a few MFX Dampf Loks now Cool
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline NZMarklinist  
#81 Posted : 14 January 2014 14:50:07(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   

Amando, All,

In the last few days I have been inside my 37050 05.001 and 37450 45020. As it happens they both have Maxon Motors with a piece of black tape stuck to them covering the power connection terminals. This IMHO, is in case someone is dumb enough to put it on the track, or maybe rolling stand, powered up and shorts the terminals by removing or replacing the body (Inside of the firebox, even tho in both cases they are well painted inside but the terminals will scratch the paint off, probably) Scared
Glen
Auckland NZ

Offline steventrain  
#82 Posted : 04 February 2014 22:34:54(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
The motor from the 37455 was 3-pole with Z-gauge brush - Stummi.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline TimR  
#83 Posted : 05 February 2014 05:50:06(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Thanks, Steven...

Any direct link to Stummi thread?
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#84 Posted : 05 February 2014 10:53:29(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Recently I was having a look at the Meingingen Werks on Google Earth, on there I found this, I hope it will be restored

UserPostedImage

That's 45 010, which was destroyed in the Nuremberg fire of 2005. According to Wikipedia it is going to be restored, but I can't find any more information about that.

UserPostedImage

Picture of 45 010 before the fire.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline jeehring  
#85 Posted : 05 February 2014 11:14:57(UTC)
jeehring

The motor from the 37455 was 3-pole with Z-gauge brush - Stummi.

Thank you Stephen,
I Wonder what is a "Z gauge brush"...especially for this kind of motor...
Anyway, we had positive reports from Forum members about the performance of this BR 45 model...
Looking at the pictures & the size of the motor I'm surprised , externally it really looks like former 5 pôles motors....

Edited by user 05 February 2014 16:25:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline jeehring  
#86 Posted : 05 February 2014 13:59:41(UTC)
jeehring

On Stummi forum , on the BR 45 thread, page 1 , below the photos, the author reports a problem of construction (assembly ?) of the motor....
Once more!

This confirms my overall impression about the latest Marklin productions: it seems that the current staff is incompetent. Perhaps poorly paid staff and workers ?.
Yes, even the BR 45 is fitted with a 3 poles motor.
When I look at what is delivered in stores now: compared to previous generations of products, it is clear that earn more money as much as possible became their main objective and... their only goal.
Even products that might seem correct on catalogues or at first glance, there is always one, two, several details showing they sought to save money .... For the buyer it is an unpleasant feeling. For the old Marklinist, the feeling is worse than unpleasant.....He just remembers the time when Marklin also sought to make their best to offer great & nice products...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline steventrain  
#87 Posted : 05 February 2014 14:20:55(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: TimR Go to Quoted Post
Thanks, Steven...

Any direct link to Stummi thread?

See image via >>Stummi<
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline NZMarklinist  
#88 Posted : 05 February 2014 16:17:09(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

That's 45 010, which was destroyed in the Nuremberg fire of 2005. According to Wikipedia it is going to be restored, but I can't find any more information about that.

UserPostedImage

Picture of 45 010 before the fire.

Good one Dave, That is probably 10 years old that pic, as it had to be taken before 2005 obviously as that spot in the DB Museum Lok Shed, in Nuremburg, is now occupied by half a VT137 which has the 05.001 in front of it now, close to the entry door. Back then 05.001 was sitting in the main Museum hall and her removal was a feature on the Marklin "Insider" Annual (Oops got to be carefuil how that is spelt Wink LOL) "Chronical", probably from 2004.

Directly oposite in the lok Shed are a BR80 and a BR50 which were victims of the fire but have been beautifully restored as non operational exhibits only Sad
I like them cause they look like a brand new 1/1 Marklin models, but with no motive power, 3 pole or otherwise Wink

Any calls for a photo essay of my vist to The DB Museumn last September Blink BigGrin OhMyGod

Pardon me Blushing for drifting off topic Huh
Glen
Auckland NZ

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline TimR  
#89 Posted : 05 February 2014 19:08:23(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   

See image via >>Stummi<

Very disappointing to have a 3-pole motor replacing the Maxxon DC on the 45...

Model of the largest freight einheits steamer in German railway, made with considerably detailed metal construction, AND 499 Eur price tag,
ALSO comes standard with a motor that probably only cost Marklin 50 cents....
... the painful.... irony......

Okay, on the positive side, some Stummi members wrote that the running quality is still quite okay.
Any owners in this forum would like to report their impression of how it goes?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TimR
Offline foumaro  
#90 Posted : 06 February 2014 08:10:14(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
It is too early to have a safe opinion for the model.We have to check for how long will this model working good.BigGrin
Offline H0  
#91 Posted : 07 February 2014 09:22:17(UTC)
H0

We have to check for how long will this model working good.
I don't have it.
Some report it does not work as good as previous BR 45 models. For some it works good, for some it doesn't. Braking distance is much shorter when power is cut off. Longevity is a different story.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline mrmarklin  
#92 Posted : 07 February 2014 19:35:58(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
I don't have it.
Some report it does not work as good as previous BR 45 models. For some it works good, for some it doesn't. Braking distance is much shorter when power is cut off. Longevity is a different story.

I have the model, and will say that it runs quietly and smoothly on my test layout. It has very abrupt starting and stopping out of the box, so the mfx parameters for operation will have to be input.

It's a good runner.Cool
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mrmarklin
Offline foumaro  
#93 Posted : 07 February 2014 20:00:27(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I don't have it.

Longevity is the most important characteristic when you are paying a lot of money buying anything and not only marklin trains.
Offline NZMarklinist  
#94 Posted : 09 February 2014 05:38:54(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi All,
As reported in the 37923 3 pole thread I have spent quite a few hours testing my 37455 45.010 this weekend.
I have made a few video's of her running at speed step 1, with a finish up and down the speed range.
I hope to post the video early Monday morning NZ Time (GMT+13) Smile
Glen
Auckland NZ

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline NZMarklinist  
#95 Posted : 09 February 2014 17:48:13(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
OK guys here it is.

My 37455 45.010 Starting off at speed step one of 126 (Marklin CS1-R) runing thru to end of train, (and then in reverse with speed step increments of 20 to 62 and back again, the stop is from ss 20) which is a Marklin 42751 DRG Set which was just to hand, and I agonised over not running the goods set designated for the lok, M46081, but I thought the vertical lines of the coach windows would add perpective to the operation or jerkiness of it, or otherwise. The result on screen appears way worse than the naked eye percieves, mine at least ! However I'll have to admit, I'm none too happy with the loco now Sad
Read the video details on youtube as well

'I honestly thought my 45.010 wasn't that bad but I do think the video might exagerate it some what so the video is unlisted at the moment but feel free to share it with whoemever. Youtube posted an alert whilst uiploading, to say the video was shakey but even their editor didn't get rid of the jerkiness, and made it a bit wierd with changes in focus and perspective.
In case the videography is at fault I will attempt to rerun the test with another Camera, my Nikon D5100

Glen
Auckland NZ

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NZMarklinist
Offline mrmarklin  
#96 Posted : 09 February 2014 18:31:27(UTC)
mrmarklin

United States   
Glen,

I appreciate your video, but there are simply too many variables to judge the motor by the running of the lok and cars.

One must remember that in real life, steamers are the most unbalanced of loks and rattley due to the side rods, weight distribution etc etc. In real life, unlike on our models "rail pounding" had a deleterious effect on tracks, turnouts, etc. While we don't experience the real world problems on our layouts, the design of the loks is such that a certain amount of hesitation and jerkiness is inherent.

If you rerun your test, use a tripod for the camera (but you did that already, right?).BigGrin
Offline TimR  
#97 Posted : 09 February 2014 18:42:15(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   

Longevity is the most important characteristic when you are paying a lot of money buying anything and not only marklin trains.

Yeah, agreed.

Sinus motor are brushless motor - and theoretically should last forever....

On the other hand, the Maxxon motor installed on previous BR45 / BR05 / BR59 have proven themselves to be very reliable.

Offline RayF  
#98 Posted : 09 February 2014 19:16:56(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: TimR Go to Quoted Post

Yeah, agreed.

Sinus motor are brushless motor - and theoretically should last forever....

On the other hand, the Maxxon motor installed on previous BR45 / BR05 / BR59 have proven themselves to be very reliable.

I agree.

It is difficult to predict how reliable any mechanical device is going to be. Generally, less moving parts leads to greater life expectancy, but other factors are involved.

I would like to think that Märklin's R&D department has evaluated the new design of motor on some kind of continuous running test on the testing bench.

BTW, in my previous job we used Maxxon motors in one of our pieces of equipment, and they needed replacing every 2 to 3 years. They probably saw a couple of hours running every day, but in a very stop-start way. Eventually the brushes would wear out.
Ray
Offline TimR  
#99 Posted : 09 February 2014 20:59:18(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
I don't have it.

I have the model, and will say that it runs quietly and smoothly on my test layout. It has very abrupt starting and stopping out of the box, so the mfx parameters for operation will have to be input.

It's a good runner.Cool

When Marklin change the motor, the old rule book really got thrown out into the bin.

I'm only familiar with running qualities of BR45 with Maxxon motor.
Very silent, good torque (probably slightly less than DCM decapods though), and very smooth acceleration -- this is partly also thanks to ESU-made MFx decoder .

You could've mistaken it for SDS... but there are still subtle differences in SDS favour...
I would still be happier if Marklin had gone this route to replace SDS -- which will put them on par with Brawa.

I would say by logic, Marklin knew exactly what they were doing when they chose to put Maxxon motor inside their 45s back in 2002... and not any other cheaper motor.....

It's still quite hard to ascertain how the new 3-poler will fare in comparison from the few brief reviews I've read here and in Stummi forum.
I think we will need to compare it with the previous release of BR45s....

But if the current (cheaper and simpler) 3-poler actually have the same or better running quality compared to Maxxon-powered BR45,
then they would make the previous generation of Marklin engineers look bad....

I still think, by logic, this is highly unlikely.

Or otherwise, 37455 could be awarded Satisfactory score card,
whereas the previous model has Excellent rating...
Offline NZMarklinist  
#100 Posted : 10 February 2014 05:13:52(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: mrmarklin Go to Quoted Post
Glen,

I appreciate your video, but there are simply too many variables to judge the motor by the running of the lok and cars.

One must remember that in real life, steamers are the most unbalanced of loks and rattley due to the side rods, weight distribution etc etc. In real life, unlike on our models "rail pounding" had a deleterious effect on tracks, turnouts, etc. While we don't experience the real world problems on our layouts, the design of the loks is such that a certain amount of hesitation and jerkiness is inherent.

If you rerun your test, use a tripod for the camera (but you did that already, right?).BigGrin

Yes more or less agreed Dave, that is why the video is unlisted. I Don't want to make the thing a big deal at this stage. I have considered running the test also with my 37450, (which has a Maxon Motor) but at start and very slow you can hear the brushes "singing" which I understand, (from B&G postings), is them actually burning or does that actually only apply to the Faulhaber Motors ( Ray's post may tell the answer Scared )

Somebody did call for a test of the Lok so I did one

In no way did I want, or expect my video to cause another three pole "witch hunt", I was doing it to vindicate it for myself. However the results to date are a wee bit telling.

And actually Dave, no tripod The Iphone was on the table next to the tracks, shame I can't call round and borrow one of yours Wink
Glen
Auckland NZ