Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline reverendpen  
#1 Posted : 10 June 2013 19:36:21(UTC)
reverendpen

United States   
I have the Start-Sets : 29175 and 29526 and would like to change the wheels to have better traction. I have some steeper grades on my layout and the wheels slip at times. what is the best way to increase the traction? are there wheels that can be swapped out that have rubber in them or is there something I can do to increase the coefficient of friction on the wheels?

Thanks

Offline Markus Schild  
#2 Posted : 10 June 2013 21:26:42(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi,

If you have cleaned the rails, try to change the rubber-wheels to new ones. The traction of Märklin-models is also limited to protect the motor and the electronics from overload. But old tyres sometimes loose their adhesive force, especially when they were in contact with oil. And Märklin rails are always a little bit oily.

Regards

Markus
Offline reverendpen  
#3 Posted : 10 June 2013 22:47:29(UTC)
reverendpen

United States   
That's my problem. My locos do not have the rubber wheels so I am wondering what wheels I should get, are there standard sizes, are there "rubber bands" that slip over the wheels (note that there is no groove in the existing metal wheels. Also what is the best cleaner for the rails?

Thanks

Originally Posted by: Markus Schild Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

If you have cleaned the rails, try to change the rubber-wheels to new ones. The traction of Märklin-models is also limited to protect the motor and the electronics from overload. But old tyres sometimes loose their adhesive force, especially when they were in contact with oil. And Märklin rails are always a little bit oily.

Regards

Markus

Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 11 June 2013 00:10:45(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Check the locos - there should be wheels with grooves, probably with rubber tyres.
With these "old school" Märklin locos it is not easy to replace wheels. You will need special tools to do this.

The BR 38.10-40 should have two on the first powered axle, the other loco one or two on the last powered axle.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Torstein  
#5 Posted : 11 June 2013 15:40:37(UTC)
Torstein

Norway   
Hi,

I have a step grade up to 4% on my layout and therefore I need locomotives with good pulling power.(traction) Be careful not to over oil the axels, use the end of a toothpick and dip it in a cup of oil, do not use Marklin,s oiler 7149, you will oil it too much and you will get a bad traction.

To clean it up: take a sheet of toilet paper and spray it light with 3M Sitrus Clean (it take oil, grease, glue ets.) and put the paper across the track and let the locomotive run on to it and keep it there when it spin on the paper until there are no dirt on the paper. Do this often so you are sure there are no more oil on the wheels. Then change the tires. There are only 4 different sizes so if you have one packet of each, you have to the hole collection of locomotives.

I use the same product on the track when I have the main clean up on the layout. I cannot get them cleaner, I think.

Locomotive with worst traction is P8-BR.38 because of bad balance and only two tires on first powered axle as mention by Tom. I do the same procedure as above very often and have a standard set of wagons I know it will pull ok. But no more P8 I think.

http://www.3m.com/produc...ion/Natural-Cleaner.html

My advice - hope it helps.

Torstein
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Torstein