Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Roman  
#1 Posted : 29 April 2013 06:09:17(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Hello all,
I am applying Microscale striping on the cab of a locomotive and need to know if the adhesion comes just from the decal or does Micro Set help? Can you lose adhesion the more MS is applied? All the stripes do is curl and separate from the shell with the set applied. The surface is fairly flat. I had to apply decal film to the stripes at first since they basically cracked up without it after removing from the water. Thank you.
Roman
Offline obxbill  
#2 Posted : 29 April 2013 14:31:40(UTC)
obxbill

United States   
first, does the cab have a flat finish or gloss? that can make a real difference on decal adhesion. Gloss is the better base. Microset is to help the decal snuggle down, but if it's curling then the solvent may be a bit too strong for the brand of decal. you can dilute it some with water which can help minimize curling. Hope this helps some. :)

Bill
Marklin HO and Z also Hornby 00 and US 2-rail
Offline Roman  
#3 Posted : 29 April 2013 21:37:03(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Thank you for your reply Bill,
I am finally getting to decal the UP F-3's I painted a while back. I painted them with Floguil and finished the bodies with gloss as suggested for decals. The stripes are from Microscale. I took the stripes off now since they were not co-operating and considering my next move to tape off and paint the red stripes with a brush. I'll try the UP banner and number decals afterwards and hope I can get a good edge seal with the Tamiya tape to prevent bleed under.
Roman
Offline kbvrod  
#4 Posted : 30 April 2013 22:28:38(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: Roman Go to Quoted Post
Thank you for your reply Bill,
I am finally getting to decal the UP F-3's I painted a while back. I painted them with Floguil and finished the bodies with gloss as suggested for decals. The stripes are from Microscale. I took the stripes off now since they were not co-operating and considering my next move to tape off and paint the red stripes with a brush. I'll try the UP banner and number decals afterwards and hope I can get a good edge seal with the Tamiya tape to prevent bleed under.
Roman

Hi Roman,Bill,all,
As Bill said, a gloss surface is a must in which to apply decals on.
A few other things:

The decals themselves,how old are they?How/where did you store them?
For long strips I ALWAYS apply a coat of MicroScale decal film (MI-12) over them.Let's this dry a few days.
Always use distilled water to soak the decals.
Cut with a hobby knife as close as you can to the decals.
Soak in the water,it will curl up and then relax.
Have a soft brush in Micro Set and then apply that to the surface of the model.
Remove decal from water and gently rest on paper towel to 'wick'away excess water.
I use both the brush in Micro Set,tweezers and the hobby knife(those for the backing paper) and use plenty of Micro Set,slide the decal into position.Work in with the brush/knife until you get it into right.Let this dry! A few hours, overnight,...
Next,use Micro Sol to further soften the decal and make in snuggle down into the suface.Let it dry!
Last step: I use Walthers Solvaset,which is stronger than Micro Sol as a final coat.
Then finally seal the deal with a clear cote.

Dr D
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline Roman  
#5 Posted : 01 May 2013 20:27:07(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Dr D,
I have done most everything except the wait. The stripes might be a few years old. The stripes lay down well at first and it all seems like it is going well. Then they just loosen and curl along the length. I haven't tried to Set them and come back the next day for more Set. As much difficulty I have with them on a flat surface I won't bother doing over the simulated rivets. I got some close red paint and more tape so I'l try that route. It can't look worse than the original paint job of the Marklin UP's of the 60's.
Roman