Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline rossco328  
#1 Posted : 02 March 2013 00:51:31(UTC)
rossco328

New Zealand   
Hi everybody. I am new to model trains and have a problem that I hope someone can help me with. I have a Delta Digital layout. 66191 transformer , 67025 controller. I have 2 locos 1 from starter set 29145 and a T5 33121 . They both run fine individually , but when I try to run them at the same time they run for about 2 or 3 metres then stop and there is no voltage to the track. first loco is set to switch 1 on, second loco is set to switches 1 and 2 on. I have over 18v to the track and it is clean. Any ideas. Thanks !!!

*** Update *** Now I'm totally confused. Is this controller I've got delta or not ? Some people are mentioning delta and non-delta locos as well ?

?????????????

Thanks

Edited by user 02 March 2013 08:48:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 02 March 2013 03:48:20(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
That transformer can be used to power up to two trains, but it designed to control only one train at a time.
The transformer allows you to select one of four delta addresses (or digital addresses - see table)

Delta Setting=Digital Address
1=78
2=72
3=60
4=24

I am not sure what you mean by switches 1 and 2 on. For the delta decoder, you should select one of the switches only (1 through 4). I don't think that the system was intended to have more than one dipswitch selected at a time.

If you want to upgrade to more options, you can decide to upgrade to the mobile or central station or find one of the older 6021 controllers. This will allow you to access up to 80 different addresses.

I will have to check if I still have any delta loks here. Most of mine were upgraded to fx/mfx over the past few years. I do have the older delta control, so I will be able to do some experimenting over the weekend. In the interim, please select only one of the four switches so that each lok is assigned it's own address. If you want to operate two loks at the same time, please select the same address for both, but remember that both will respond at the same time. I am not sure if your controller will allow you to switch between the four delta addresses while a train is moving. This presents a risk because the train that is no longer being controlled should normally continue to follow it's last instructions while the next addressed lok will suddenly start to move at the indicated speed on the transformer. This is possible with the 6021 because once you start to key in the next address, you can lower the speed to zero so it does not start at speed.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline rossco328  
#3 Posted : 02 March 2013 04:41:05(UTC)
rossco328

New Zealand   
Thanks for your reply. The manual says to set the dip switches on the decoders to 1000 1100 1010 1001 ( 1 being on 0 being off) for trains 1 to 4. I get train 1 going and switch to train 2 (train 1 continues at last set speed). train 2s speed can be controlled. now getting round the track once before both trains stop. The manual says you can have both trains running at the same time , but control the speed the most recently switched to.

Thanks
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 02 March 2013 07:42:16(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: rossco328 Go to Quoted Post
but when I try to run them at the same time they run for about 1 metre then stop and there is no voltage to the track
It seems the overload protection of the controller gets triggered when both locos run.

Not much can be said without knowing the ref. numbers of the locos/starter sets.

Delta locos with DIP switches normally have the standard AC/DC motor and are known to draw a higher current than modern locos with DC motors. Current draw will be higher when locos are in a bad condition (collector dirty, gear with hardened oil, &c.).

That small controller AFAIK did not come in starter sets with Delta locos, so when the manual mentions running two locos at the same time they did not have Delta locos in mind.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline rossco328  
#5 Posted : 02 March 2013 08:34:01(UTC)
rossco328

New Zealand   
Locos are

BR89.0 from starter-set 29145 capable of of running delta/digital according to manual.

T5 33121 also capable of of running delta/digital according to manual
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 02 March 2013 09:39:35(UTC)
H0

In the manual that came with the 29130 starter set, they write the maximum output of 67025 is 0.4 A.

Manual:
Code:
http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/29130_tech.pdf
(Copy URL to address field)

0.4 A should be enough to have two locos with DC motors drive slowly (and locos with light bulbs, sound, or smoke generators could be too much).
It's not enough for two locos with AC/DC motors (as those draw more current).

A stronger version of the 67025 is the Delta Control 66045 (you'll also need a real transformer instead of the power supply you have (it's not a transformer despite what's engraved on it)).

An MS2 will also give you more power - and more options. You also need the track connection box and the appropriate power supply with that option.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0