Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mike M  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2013 00:42:45(UTC)
Mike M

Canada   
Hi, Can somebody help me with this progam ?

First I presume when doing layers I start from the bottom up.Is this done with the tabs on the bottom, ie 3 layers I would start 3 then 2 then Ground Plate?? How can I rearrange the layers, I started bottom layer on the ground plate and when I do the 2 nd layer it seems to go underneath the bottom layer. Also are the heights shown on the MM track plans in mm ? And how do I enter those numbers on my plan??

Any helpfull info would be greatly appreciated

Cheers Mike
Offline sikardon  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2013 01:53:31(UTC)
sikardon

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: Mike M Go to Quoted Post

First I presume when doing layers I start from the bottom up.Is this done with the tabs on the bottom, ie 3 layers I would start 3 then 2 then Ground Plate?? How can I rearrange the layers, I started bottom layer on the ground plate and when I do the 2 nd layer it seems to go underneath the bottom layer. Also are the heights shown on the MM track plans in mm ? And how do I enter those numbers on my plan??

Cheers Mike

Hello Mike,

Just some hint, before you place a track on the layout, on the layer tabs (bottom), press Shift button while you click it, then you will see a black rectangular above the layer number. Those black rectangular means the current layer you are working.

Also are the heights shown on the MM track plans in mm ?
Yes.

And how do I enter those numbers on my plan??
Select your track, and then right click, choose Properties. Then choose 3D-profile. This is how I do usually, when I try to set height.

Cheers, Sony
Offline Mike M  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2013 02:41:44(UTC)
Mike M

Canada   
Originally Posted by: sikardon Go to Quoted Post

Cheers Mike

Hello Mike,

Just some hint, before you place a track on the layout, on the layer tabs (bottom), press Shift button while you click it, then you will see a black rectangular above the layer number. Those black rectangular means the current layer you are working.

Also are the heights shown on the MM track plans in mm ?
Yes.

And how do I enter those numbers on my plan??
Select your track, and then right click, choose Properties. Then choose 3D-profile. This is how I do usually, when I try to set height.

Cheers, Sony

Thank you for your help!! Do I work from the bottom up I presume layer 1 ground plate is the last top layer is that correct or am I missing something ???
Offline MikeR  
#4 Posted : 17 February 2013 11:29:55(UTC)
MikeR

United States   

Thank you for your help!! Do I work from the bottom up I presume layer 1 ground plate is the last top layer is that correct or am I missing something ???

Hi Mike

The order is the other way around. The "Ground Plate" is the very bottom layer. I got my layers a bit mixed up but it did not seem to affect the functioning of the software as long as I loaded the correct heights for each track. The 3-D views still worked fine.

I also found it useful to skip a few layers while I was doing my design i.e work on layers 4, 6, 8 etc. This allowed me to work on the intermediate layers later if needed.

Mike
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
Offline Mike M  
#5 Posted : 17 February 2013 18:01:54(UTC)
Mike M

Canada   
Thank you for the reply mike

I'm not following you on the layers. I will only have 3 layers on my layout ie.bottom staging yard,2nd layer staging yard and then the top. How can I work on different layers when there are only 3 ?? I am copyng the track plan from

MM 05/12 but the height setting are not very detailed. Maybe I should just try and build from the magazine? Any more advice would be appreciated..Confused
Offline Writhdar  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2013 19:52:17(UTC)
Writhdar

XTrkCad is very easy to work with for multiple layers and grades. I've tried both and wouldn't touch Wintrack anymore (Wintrack does look nicer however).

http://www.xtrkcad.org/Wikka/HomePage

the documentation wasn't that good when I started with it but the "solutions" to various issues are usually trivial. So, if you try it and have questions, post them or email me.
Offline French_Fabrice  
#7 Posted : 17 February 2013 21:16:45(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   

I'm not following you on the layers. I will only have 3 layers on my layout ie.bottom staging yard,2nd layer staging yard and then the top. How can I work on different layers when there are only 3 ?? I am copyng the track plan from

MM 05/12 but the height setting are not very detailed. Maybe I should just try and build from the magazine? Any more advice would be appreciated..Confused

Hi Mike,

The "layer" concept in Wintrack, as in many CAD software, is a logical concept and is not related to the physical layers/levels of your layout (maybe except for layer 1 where you put your wood plates) .
Let's have an example: A physical layout with two physical levels, for instance level 1 is at 0 cm, and level 2 is 20 cm higher.

You may start your design of level 1 at "layer" 10 for the tracks, "layer" 11 for the signals or whatever you want, maybe layer "12" for having coordinates X & Y to transfer of the physical layout...and so on
Then you may follow by layer "20" for having elevations (and/or tracks) to level 2, "layer" 30 for tracks on level 2, layer "35" for wiring of level 2, layer "40" for scenery/landscaping etc...

In summary, a "layer" in Wintrack is an "incomplete" view of your full layout, but focused on a logical point of view (tracks, elevations, electricity, scenery, the whole for each physical level of your layout). You are totally free to decide what to put in each "layer". The idea behind is to have a plan easily understandable for various aspects, and not to have only one sheet of paper crowed with too much details which will render the plan difficult to understand...

HTH
Fabrice
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline Mike M  
#8 Posted : 17 February 2013 21:40:59(UTC)
Mike M

Canada   
Thank you for the explanation. Now it is starting to make some sense I think...BigGrin
Offline LT.Iglehart  
#9 Posted : 01 August 2013 02:19:11(UTC)
LT.Iglehart

United States   
XTrackCAD for MAC seems a bit "convoluted".
Have any MAC users had success with RailModeler?
Offline xxup  
#10 Posted : 01 August 2013 06:05:16(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: LT.Iglehart Go to Quoted Post
XTrackCAD for MAC seems a bit "convoluted".
Have any MAC users had success with RailModeler?

I use RailModeler, but I feel that the mechanism for creating ramps of tracks is clumsy - especially near turnouts.. Otherwise, it is okay after you get over MAC quirkiness..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline witzlerh  
#11 Posted : 01 August 2013 06:24:57(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I use Wintrack too. Layer 1 is for the ground plate and you shift select any layer to make it current.
Other than that the layers are what you make of it.
As a professional engineer, layers are great. The above suggestion to have each physical track layer in units of 10 Win track layers is good.
When you start adding trees and such, it get harder to select and move around. It also allows you to turn off layers to help with visualization too.
So put loks and rolling stock on the 11s, buildings on 12s, landscape features on 13s, wiring info on 14s and so on, depending how detailed you want to be.

Just keep remembering to change layers. If you put elements on the wrong layer, right click or select the element property and change the layer.
You can turn off layers to see what is mis placed too. Very handy when trying to lay a shattenbahnhoff under your main layout.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by witzlerh