Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Imagine  
#1 Posted : 25 January 2013 05:02:56(UTC)
Imagine

United States   
Greetings. I have a P8 from the Kaiser Zug set. The front truck seems to derail on 30 degree (437,55 mm) C track curves (24230). It appears that the front wheels jump the track. Any suggestions?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Imagine
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 26 January 2013 00:22:32(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: Imagine Go to Quoted Post
Greetings. I have a P8 from the Kaiser Zug set. The front truck seems to derail on 30 degree (437,55 mm) C track curves (24230). It appears that the front wheels jump the track. Any suggestions?

Hallo!Welcome to the forum!ThumpUp

Speed?

You will need to check the wheels and 'pilot',does it pivot freely?

Dr D

Offline Gregor  
#3 Posted : 26 January 2013 10:58:09(UTC)
Gregor

Netherlands   
Hi,

Normally there is small strip that acts as a spring which pushes down the truck onto the track. If you slightly bend the strip further, the spring force will be bigger and the truck will remain within the track.

Good luck,
Gregor
Offline Imagine  
#4 Posted : 26 January 2013 15:28:43(UTC)
Imagine

United States   
Thank you for the input. A drop of oil was placed into the "V" where the screw is inserted and moved to assist with the play. That seemed to work.

Another problem is the poor pull power of the P8. For a test three Trix Era I Orient Express coaches were attached and it had a difficult time pulling them on a flat surface. It is hard to imagine it pulling the heavier Kaiser coaches.

Any suggestions?
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 26 January 2013 17:01:43(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hello, and welcome to the forum. Do you have a name we can call you? I can't imagine myself calling you imagine. Imagine that!....

4-6-0 locomotives are notorious for being difficult to balance, and this often leads to problems with traction and derailments. I believe at least one of our members has found a solution where they replaced one of the driven axles which has no traction tyres for another one with traction tyres. Another, maybe simpler, solution can be found by adding weights either at the front or the back, depending on where the problem is.

By the way, is your loco trom the Kaizer Wilhelm train? If so this is not a P8 (later Br38) but an S10 (later Br17). The first versions of the S10 by Marklin were even worse pullers, and the design of the chassis was revised for later production runs of this locomotive.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Imagine  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2013 09:09:39(UTC)
Imagine

United States   
The locomotive is a P8 (Marklin 37031). Balance seems to be the problem with this loco. The weights will be tried.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 27 January 2013 10:27:33(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Thanks for the clarification. The 37031 is definitely a P8, but this is not the loco that comes with the Kaiser Wilhelm train that I know (2681/2881 set). Maybe you can tell us a bit more about your train? I'm sure we would all be very happy to see photos of your loco and coaches.

Good luck with your experiments, and I hope you can get your loco to pull its train successfully. Be aware that this is not one of Marklin's best pullers, but it should be capable of pulling a train of 4 - 6 coaches on the flat.

Is the problem one of power or traction? Getting the balance right by adding more weight will help with traction issues, but if the wheels are not slipping and the problem is with the power of the motor not being enough then there might be a motor issue.

Looking at it from the other end, are you sure your coaches are free running? Wheelsets that are seized in their bearings will make it more difficult for your loco. A free running wagon should roll anywhere between half a metre and a metre with a gentle push before stopping. If you give it a push and it only rolls a few centimetres then you need to investigate why.

Feel free to ask more questions, and please let us know how you get on.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline pa-pauls  
#8 Posted : 27 January 2013 21:45:02(UTC)
pa-pauls

Hello,

Regarding pulling power for the "new" P8 / Br. 38 I did this : http://home.online.no/~pa-pauls/tipsandtricks.cfm

I have just got the new 37035 model in the door and I think I must check if I need to do this with this locomotive also,,,
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline Imagine  
#9 Posted : 28 January 2013 01:20:38(UTC)
Imagine

United States   
Thanks for the tips. Time to get some tires for the loco and check into a sound system once it works.