Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Janne75  
#1 Posted : 23 January 2013 18:14:30(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hello all,

I sold my 39103 BR 01 1057 and now the buyer called me that everything else is working except the smoke unit output (no voltage). Is this an contact error, wiring problem or can one decoder output have fault when other work? Confused All lights, sound and driving is ok.

Have anyone some suggestions what can we do to fix this one? I had newer used that smoke unit and it was installed in Germany where I bought this loco as second hand from eBay.

I will give the buyer some price discount from the next loco if we dont get it fixed.

Thanks in advance from your kind help as always,
Janne from Finland
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 23 January 2013 18:32:13(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
Hello all,

I sold my 39103 BR 01 1057 and now the buyer called me that everything else is working except the smoke unit output (no voltage). Is this an contact error, wiring problem or can one decoder output have fault when other work? Confused All lights, sound and driving is ok.

Have anyone some suggestions what can we do to fix this one? I had newer used that smoke unit and it was installed in Germany where I bought this loco as second hand from eBay.

I will give the buyer some price discount from the next loco if we dont get it fixed.

Thanks in advance from your kind help as always,Janne from Finland

Hi Janne,all,
A couple of things:
Tell the buyer to remove the SU,clean the center 'pipe' add a few drops of smoke oil,apply current and to make sure it is functional.
Next:re-insert the unit and make sure it is seated properly(contact).
Then check the wiring from the contact to the decoder.

Let us know what happens!

Dr D

p.s. on one lok I had, excessive paint inside the smoke stack was not allowing a ground connection with the SU,some filing,bingo! Problem solved!

Offline Janne75  
#3 Posted : 23 January 2013 23:06:45(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hello,

Thanks from your tips to solve this problem. The buyer has measured from the decoder output for SU that there wont come voltage when function for SU is activated. He also measured the wire from decoder output to SU contact and it seems to be ok.

I got an idea what could be wrong. At least with CS 2 it is possible to modify the function button operation. If that function button has been modified for example to duration function with time of 0 (zero) seconds or something like that? Then it wont work for sure even if everything is physically in working order.

So please all the Märklin digital decoder gurus help us solve this puzzle to get that function output to feed current/voltage again... Glare

If it would be an programmable decoder I would reset it, but as it is not some other tips would be great?

Greetings from Finland,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 24 January 2013 07:43:06(UTC)
H0

At least with CS 2 it is possible to modify the function button operation.
But not for this decoder. So if the buyer modified something, then it's only his problem and occurs only with his CS2. Does he use a CS2? With other controllers, there are other ways to fool yourself ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Janne75  
#5 Posted : 24 January 2013 07:56:35(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
An quick update:

That 39103 smoke unit dont work in analog operation either as the buyer tested this also.
He can run it in digital and analog mode. Should SU work in analog mode in this 39103? If so then it should be continuously on and smoking change with voltage, right? Lights are working usually in many locomotives when operating in analog mode and the brightness will change depending of the voltage.

It is so hard to believe that there is some error that is not fixable. I have had many locomotives with some problems, but I have always been able to fix them. This is also a part of this winderful hobby and it is always great feeling to get them running ok again.

Any help would be great... Confused

Janne
Offline Janne75  
#6 Posted : 24 January 2013 07:59:51(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
At least with CS 2 it is possible to modify the function button operation.
But not for this decoder. So if the buyer modified something, then it's only his problem and occurs only with his CS2. Does he use a CS2? With other controllers, there are other ways to fool yourself ...

He use Mobile Station and not CS2. But the smoke unit dont work in analog mode either. I dont know if it should or not? I have asked the buyer to check this one from locomotive instructions.

Janne

Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 24 January 2013 08:10:17(UTC)
H0

But the smoke unit dont work in analog mode either. I dont know if it should or not?
It should be on in analogue mode (with those old mouse piano decoders, F1 is always on in analogue mode (that's why some of those locos do not use F1)).

Each function output has its own transistor. And this transistor may have died (or may have been dead from the factory).

Paint between boiler and SU may cause problems, paint between boiler and loco frame may cause problems.
If the buyer knows what he's doing and measured on the open loco between contact lid and frame, then paint should be no problem and probably the decoder output is dead.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Janne75  
#8 Posted : 24 January 2013 09:10:14(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
He has measured everything and also from the decoder output. No voltage. I hope he has measured against proper ground contact though. Otherwise there can not be voltage. Transistor fault can`t be fixed, right?

Thank you Tom again from your help!
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 24 January 2013 09:25:00(UTC)
H0

Transistor fault can`t be fixed, right?
Some experts buy new transistors and replace them (I couldn't do it).
Most likely it's the output transistor, but it could be another problem (defect of the PCB, defect of the decoder chip).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline JohnjeanB  
#10 Posted : 24 January 2013 22:31:50(UTC)
JohnjeanB

France   
Hi Janne
Chances for the unit being faulty from Märklin factory is close to zero as they test it by inserting a simulator that lights ON when OK.
Measuring the output transistor is tricky: if you short it with the loco frame, you kill it.

The transistor replacement is not easy: I did it on my Grossbekohlungs crane. It worked for a while but died again. Reason: poor thermal contact between the new transistor and the PCB. On top of this they are not regular transistors but some kind of very low voltage drop FET transistors

Apart from paint in the hole where the Seute unit is plugged 2 tricks happen often:
- the contact blade is bent (down or side ways)
- the curled wire at the bottom of the Seute smoke unit needs bending so as to make sure it will make contact with the contact blade (Märklin is very insistant on this).

Bonne chance
Jean