Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Huntix  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2013 21:19:05(UTC)
Huntix

Norway   
In 2011 I bought ICE2 Starter pack for my father. Everything except the turnouts worked fine. When we clicked on the mobile station 2 to switch the direction (clicking from red to green etc.) they would not respond. We never really did anything about it.

For 2012 christmas I bought a Marklin 36611. It was at the point getting it to work with the mobile station 2 that I began wondering about the turnouts. I've tried to reset the mobile station 2 to factory setting. Also checked that the adress on the turnouts is correct. The wires seems to be fine aswell. Is there anything I'm doing wrong ? Do you have to register the turnouts on the MS2? I'm really confused to why it won't work :S

I have even been to the store that sold me the ICE 2 with the turnouts. The old man working there said he didn't know why they wouldn't work. I don't really think he ever have tested them himself tho... Kept saying how he has sold many starter packs with those turnouts and no one would come back to complain about the turnouts(and how most people would find out themself). I couldn't find any manual in the ICE 2 pack that said anything detailed about the turnouts. I'm really not sure what the problem could be. Either the MS2 or the turnouts themself. If anyone has any clue to something that would help it would be greatly appreciated(or what the problem could be, any way to test if they work without the decoder).

If you need more information please say so.

I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry if I've got bad grammer.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2013 21:33:20(UTC)
H0

Maybe a simple problem: MS2 wired incorrectly (red wire goes to B, brown wire goes to 0). Turnouts don't work if wires are swapped.
Did you install the turnout decoders or did they come factory-installed?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline intruder  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2013 23:20:39(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
Hi Huntix and welcome to this fantastic forum!

Are your turnouts working in the opposite direction if you flip them manually in the non-working direction, or are they "dead" in both directions?
Have you tried to flip them back and forth manually some times, to see if they work after the "exercise?

If you can reply "Yes" to one or both of these questions it might be the two small switches installed in the turnout motors. The switches cut off the motor current when the switching movement is completed, to prevent the current to burn the motor coil. At the same time they seem to open for current in the opposite direction.

Some switch motors are known to develop poor contact inside the small switches.
I experienced this on several of my swithces, so I have removed the switches from all my motors and replaced the switches with a short blank wire, shortcutting the three switch connecting points.

This is not good if you operate the switches analogue, as a too long switching time (press the button for too long time) may burn the switch motor.
But, as all my switches are operated digital via decoders, the switching time is rather short and there should be no problem.

Of course, your problem might bee something alse.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by intruder
Offline intruder  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2013 23:35:08(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
An additional question:

Are your MS2 and the switch decoders set to the same addresses?

The digital signals sent from the MS2 (or other digital controllers) can be compared eith a telphone number. The MS2 sends e.g. "switch 48 green" when you push a button. If none of the turnout decoders are set to address 48, nothing will happen.

See here: https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...decoders.aspx#post350966
grumpy old sod
Offline Huntix  
#5 Posted : 02 January 2013 23:35:37(UTC)
Huntix

Norway   
I switched the red and brown cable on the turnouts, and it worked. Well derp I should have tried to switch them. Thought I'd post something here before starting to mess with the wires. Thanks a lot H0! :) And no, every wire etc. was as it was when we first opened the pack. I really don't know why they would be switched over.. Oh well.. thanks again!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Huntix
Offline Huntix  
#6 Posted : 02 January 2013 23:37:12(UTC)
Huntix

Norway   
Originally Posted by: intruder Go to Quoted Post
Hi Huntix and welcome to this fantastic forum!

Are your turnouts working in the opposite direction if you flip them manually in the non-working direction, or are they "dead" in both directions?
Have you tried to flip them back and forth manually some times, to see if they work after the "exercise?

If you can reply "Yes" to one or both of these questions it might be the two small switches installed in the turnout motors. The switches cut off the motor current when the switching movement is completed, to prevent the current to burn the motor coil. At the same time they seem to open for current in the opposite direction.

Some switch motors are known to develop poor contact inside the small switches.
I experienced this on several of my swithces, so I have removed the switches from all my motors and replaced the switches with a short blank wire, shortcutting the three switch connecting points.

This is not good if you operate the switches analogue, as a too long switching time (press the button for too long time) may burn the switch motor.
But, as all my switches are operated digital via decoders, the switching time is rather short and there should be no problem.

Of course, your problem might bee something alse.

Thanks for the welcome :)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Huntix
Offline intruder  
#7 Posted : 02 January 2013 23:53:23(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
I'm glad that you fixed it the simplest way, Huntix.
grumpy old sod