Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Mattonides  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2012 09:02:10(UTC)
Mattonides

United States   
Hi all,

I would like to get a help with what parts to use for conversion of 37185 loco (6090/no sound/smoke) and 33081 loco (delta/no sound/smoke). I am not certain whether to use 60941 or 60943 motor conversion. Similarly, I am not sure whether to use 60945 or 60965 decoder upgrade.

Secondly, I am building Noch Heidelberg layout in C-track and fully digital. I am having trouble finding data for power consumption of individual digital components so I can to determine how many power supplies/boosters I need. Just to give you an idea, the layout will have 172 pieces of track, 18 turnouts with full 74445 upgrade (motor, decoder, lantern), 4-6 76xxx signals, and 3 track hidden yard managed by s88, k84, k83. The plan is also to run 5 mfx locos, one with 3-5 coaches with lights. 10-20 pieces of street and station lights...those will be on a dedicated power supply.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you

Martin
Offline Chris6382chris  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2012 19:13:08(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Martin:

Nice to see another member on this forum from the bay area. First, with regard to your questions concerning decoder conversions, I have done several and have used the ESU Lokpilot V4 decoder. I am not sure if the two locomotives you mentioned have field coils but I am guessing they do. If that is the case you would need to replace the decoder and the field coil with a permanent magnet. So you can do a conversion for a little less than $50 per engine and I have really enjoyed the quality of the decoder and the running of my 3pole motors with these chips. (I don't replace the motor with a 5 pole motor and thus don't have to change the face plate either).

With regard to your question on layout size and boosters, it would depend on what your power source is. Are you using a Marklin or ESU control unit? Or have you bought one yet? I can't speak to the Marklin units but I know with my ESU 50200 I would say you don't need any booster with only 5 trains running. I am not sure how many Amps the Marklin CS sends to the track but that will be what guides the number of boosters needed. The size or number of pieces of track you use don't have an impact on number of boosters because you can always run feeder wires from your power source to all parts of your layout to make sure you don't have power drop.

Chris
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Chris6382chris
Offline Mattonides  
#3 Posted : 22 November 2012 07:23:35(UTC)
Mattonides

United States   
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your response. I have CS2 which sends 5 amps to the track. My frustration is that i cannot find anywhere how much power each digital component consumes. I prefer to be ready before starting. However, it looks like I will just need to put the layout together and test it. I already have most of the components. I will continue adding power and boosters until everything works. Unsure

Martin
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 22 November 2012 07:36:33(UTC)
H0

Hi, Martin,
you don't need motor parts for your 37185, only a new decoder (this is generally the case for 37xx and 37xxx locos).

Check if the locos have standard decoders. Many Märklin steamers have special decoders that also contain e.g. tender lights (shouldn't be a problem with the 33081, but probably with 37185).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 22 November 2012 07:49:32(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Mattonides Go to Quoted Post
My frustration is that i cannot find anywhere how much power each digital component consumes.
There's a list on this page:
http://www.marklin.com/t...al1/components/6021.html

Maybe a bit outdated as LEDs draw less current. Your CS can deliver nearly 100 VA (5A), but Märklin recommend to use only 3A (nearly 60 VA) for H0 scale.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#6 Posted : 22 November 2012 07:51:00(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Since your lights are going to be on a different line you are left with what consumes the most which are locomotives and point motors. You might have many points but in reality they will not be all switchng at the same time so that should not be a great concern. Unless you run some old train that was not very well designed -we had a client with an ICE train which had a Delta decoder and that one was terrible-I would say 5 good trains should run fine. If they have interior lighting I suggest you use LED's it will make a great difference.

I haven't used a Marklin station in a long time but the later model probably has like the ESU an indication of how much power is being consumed so that should tell you how close you are from the limit. Having boosters can be a good way to separate different lines with their own power supply and that way when there is a problem it is also easier to find it

Make sure not to join the power from the CS to your independent transformer for lights or you may blow up the station.
Offline Mattonides  
#7 Posted : 23 November 2012 08:13:50(UTC)
Mattonides

United States   
Thank you all for you advice. I am planning to run tests on the full layout (minus signals) this weekend. I will let you know the results.
Offline Chris6382chris  
#8 Posted : 24 November 2012 09:41:31(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Martin:

My guess is you will be fine. I have not had a power issue yet running trains. Good luck.

Chris