Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Sam  
#1 Posted : 06 March 2005 05:05:42(UTC)
Sam

I seem to be the only one asking anything on this forum, but what the heck!

Again, as it pertains to Germany and other Continental European countries Rail Roads... how often do they connect more than one Loc together to make a train... does it depend on the length/weight of the loc? or more to do with the Grade?? And are their any cases where 3 locs are connected?

Thanks
Era I-V / HO & 1 Gauge / C-Track & Mobil Station, with Central Station.
Offline digilox1  
#2 Posted : 06 March 2005 09:52:11(UTC)
digilox1

Sam,
Some pictures from double headers in Switzerland.
http://www.markusworldwi...e420/Re420_Vst_Intro.htm

It might be necessary to cut and paste the link.

The main concern in Europe, just as everywhere else, is train weight and grades.

But, sometimes, operational conditions dictate quite absurd trains/consists.

Some years back, I saw a consist of 3 passenger cars (lightweight EW1) with TWO Re6/6 at the point ready for departure at Zürich main station.

Three cars is no match for a single Re6/6, rated at more than 10.000 hp, let alone a tandem.

When the engineer got the green signal, he violently accelerated
the consist. 240 tons of loco weight accelerating like a true sports
car, an incredible sight!

Bottom line. just about anything goes.
But do not exceed the number of two locos at the point of a train.
Remember, the hook and screw loop couplers of the prototype cannot stand the tractive effort of three modern electrics in a grade.

The SBB Gotthard-limit (2,7%) is 1350 metric tons of train weight.

Regards,
Manfred
Offline 2fingers  
#3 Posted : 06 March 2005 10:01:07(UTC)
2fingers

I recall seeing a 7 or 8 loco consist heading from the top
of the brennerpass back to Innsbruck. This was a loco only
train.
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 06 March 2005 10:19:59(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline hmsfix  
#5 Posted : 06 March 2005 12:44:57(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi Sam,

Can agree with that what Manfred has written. I never saw consists with more than two locos here in Germany, except loco-only trains, where several locos are transfered between different yards.

Recently I saw a very impressive ore train with two BR 151 bulling 57 ore cars with almost 100 tons each. It transported iron ore or coal from the Rhine habour in Duisburg to the steel factory at Dillingen/Saar, almost 350 km apart along the very narrow and curvey valleys of the rivers Rhine, Mosel and Saar. I was told that this is the largest train presently running in Germany. Very impressive. I thought that this would an interesting theme for a layout (well, mine is far too small for that).

BTW, the coal (coming from South Africa per ship to Rotterdam and Duisburg) costs about 40 EUR per ton, whereas coal produced here in Germany costs 140 EUR per ton. You see why these trains are running.

Best regards

Hans Martin
Offline digilox1  
#6 Posted : 06 March 2005 16:58:23(UTC)
digilox1

Hans Martin,
40 vs. 140 Euros a ton.

What`s the life expectancy and the salary of a South African mine worker? Guess their working conditions are some sort of slavery or even murder.
And the most expensive part of the coal`s journey is from Duisburg
to Dillingen, I suppose.

Regards,
Manfred
Offline hmsfix  
#7 Posted : 06 March 2005 17:36:06(UTC)
hmsfix

Hi Manfred,

I can't tell you what are the working conditions of mine workers in South Africa. But I agree, coal mining is murder, for me ! Since coal from germany is thus expensive, the government gives the mining corporations billions of EUR a year that they can sell it. And the goverment gets it from the german tax payer. That's me. It's murder, definitely.

Regards

Hans Martin
Offline Sam  
#8 Posted : 07 March 2005 05:44:06(UTC)
Sam

Thanks for the info guys.. I am playing around with a pretty steep grade on my layout, and quite frankly the only way to get it to pull my 23 car freight train is with a two loc consist... I pair up my two BR152's and accelerate them gradually to about 60mph scale speed and it looks great... however, if I try to run only one loc, I have to be going a lot faster to make the grade and it just doesn't look right.

BTW... In Germany, they are masters of massive automated coal mining, with the world largest mining machines I believe. Even here in Wyoming where we have some massive mining operations are second to the stuff I've seen in Germany, but I guess it comes at a great cost.
Offline Sam  
#9 Posted : 07 March 2005 05:54:12(UTC)
Sam

Good stuff, thanks man.. I never thought there would be 3 loc consists in Europe. Here in the US, you'll see 6 or 7 engines pretty often, but then the trains are up to 2 or more miles long.. With the limits of 80 axles in Europe, I figure the need for extra traction is strictly grade related.