Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline chelseadrake  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2012 17:45:31(UTC)
chelseadrake

Canada   
couldn't find many photos of this particular locomotive but from what I can tell so far they were used on express trains made up of green bogie carriages alone I presume?

just trying to figure out where to fit this locomotive in
Offline BrandonVA  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2012 22:18:21(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
I think these were used for local express services, so probably green express coaches (like Marklin 4141 for DRG) and then probably commuter service later in DB life (maybe Marklin 4131 or similar, maybe even some siverling coaches).

Keep in mind that 3099 started out as as DRG loco, and then at some point Marklin switched it to DB. If you're concerned about eras this would impact you.

-Brandon
Offline Western Pacific  
#3 Posted : 18 October 2012 23:43:21(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post
I think these were used for local express services, so probably green express coaches (like Marklin 4141 for DRG) and then probably commuter service later in DB life (maybe Marklin 4131 or similar, maybe even some siverling coaches).

Keep in mind that 3099 started out as as DRG loco, and then at some point Marklin switched it to DB. If you're concerned about eras this would impact you.

-Brandon

Brandon,

The BR 38 actually started out as Prussian P8, in other words even pre-dated the DRG. Wikipedia on P8 (BR 38).

Per
Offline chelseadrake  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2012 23:52:16(UTC)
chelseadrake

Canada   
brandonva thanks, that helped my search a bit more and I think I'll retain this locomotive as to eventually find a local express consist for it.
and I'm not too nitpicky for era as long as things still look like they fit together (so yeah I do not think a daily steam express and ICE-3M trains are ever supposed to run together at all...heh! BigGrin )

per, I've liked green prussian locomotives better than black ones sometimes for some reason but don't have a hard preference on that tho
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 19 October 2012 08:40:42(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Western Pacific Go to Quoted Post
The BR 38 actually started out as Prussian P8
No, not exactly true.
The Prussian P8 was listed as class 38.10-40 with DRG and became class 038 with Deutsche Bundesbahn. It is not correct to call it class 38.

3099 initially was an era II DRG modell (class 38.10-40) but later was made as an era IV model (class 038 of DB). Thus Brandons statement was correct.
With respect to appropriate coaches this makes a big difference. Drake probably has the era II model.

The P stands for Passenger trains. Express train locos had letter S.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Western Pacific  
#6 Posted : 19 October 2012 11:54:28(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Western Pacific Go to Quoted Post
The BR 38 actually started out as Prussian P8
No, not exactly true.
The Prussian P8 was listed as class 38.10-40 with DRG and became class 038 with Deutsche Bundesbahn. It is not correct to call it class 38.

3099 initially was an era II DRG modell (class 38.10-40) but later was made as an era IV model (class 038 of DB). Thus Brandons statement was correct.
With respect to appropriate coaches this makes a big difference. Drake probably has the era II model.

The P stands for Passenger trains. Express train locos had letter S.

Tom, wasn't it so that the P8s were taken over by DRG, and as you point out were given class 38.10-40, then continued as class 38 in both DR of the GDR and in DB before computer numbers, when class 38 became 038?

I can admit that I abbreviated the DRG class to 38, which may have been incorrect, but could you confirm or correct my "numbering evolution trees" described above?

(Helmut Kern lists under BR 38, P8 for instance 3098(1) and 2960 as DB era III locomotives with numbers 38 nnnn.

In the English Wikipedia it is stated that P8s were built from 1908 to 1926 and in the German Wikipedia 1906 - 1923. From what I have understood, the Weimar Republic when setting up the Deutsche Reichseisenbahnen in 1920 took over the Prussian State Railways. The Deutsche Reichseisenbahnen later became the DRG. During the 1920-ies the DRG continued building the P8s and they were probably delivered as 38.10-40.

Per
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 19 October 2012 13:21:43(UTC)
H0

DRG listed several classes (Baureihen) with axle configuration 2'C under the common Stammnummer 38. There was not a single Baureihe 38. Prussian P8 was the only one of those that still existed in 1968 in West Germany, so Pr. P8 got the BR 038 exclusively.

Same with "BR 55". There never was a single "BR 55", but out of the bunch only one survived to become BR 055.

Wikipedia does not use the terms correctly. (Neither do Märklin nor HFKern.)

The DR in the GDR had locomotives of classes BR 38.2-3 and BR 38.10-40, DB had locomotives of classes BR 38.4 and BR 38.10-40.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline BrandonVA  
#8 Posted : 19 October 2012 17:59:46(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Also keep in mind that this loco had a somewhat low top speed of 110 km/hr, so I do not think you will find it pulling too many big express trains.

-Brandon
Offline chelseadrake  
#9 Posted : 19 October 2012 21:40:55(UTC)
chelseadrake

Canada   
looking some more I found these which looks good for me and I thought I'll share with others here as well

http://germanrail.8.foru...wtopic.php?p=28291#28291
that kind of consist looks like something I could do with especially when it'll still fit into smaller stations

http://www.noetzel24.de/uploads/pics/38_05.jpg
this one sure is a curiousity, lack of turnaround at end of route I'm guessing? still I guess I could use this photo to rebunk anyone asking me why I have a top and tail train if that somehow happened on my layout BigGrin

and while we're still on this here's a third one I had found
http://www.noetzel24.de/uploads/pics/38_07.jpg
three slight different carriages. especially noting the center doors on the last one