Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Geneva1  
#1 Posted : 20 September 2012 11:10:08(UTC)
Geneva1

Switzerland   
Dear all,

Am brand new here and to Marklin Digital. Basically bought a Digital starter set for our 8 year old son a couple of weeks ago, which has resulted in spending hours each evening in the basement playroom building a 10'x4' layout. Almost forgot how much fun and addictive this can get, and now reliving my own childhood years when I had simple Marklin and Fleischmann sets.

Unfortunately, it also brings to light my complete lack of knowledge when it comes to wiring up the system. Add to that a rather austere set of instructions from Marklin, and the digital chaos in the basement is complete.Cursing

So I sincerely hope I'll be able to use the expertise out there among you all!

I'm currently trying to get a 24997 uncoupler track hooked up to a K83 decoder box, and get it to work via my MS2. Would this be at all possible without having to buy a CS2 and 6040 keyboard (and take a loan)? My understanding was that hooking up the blue wire of the uncoupler track to the green socket of the K83, and wiring the K83 directly to the track with the brown and red wires would have it connect with the MS2, which is supposed to have memory for over 200 solenoids. But so far, nothing is happening .... could it be related to setting the decoder values?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance,

Marcus
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#2 Posted : 20 September 2012 11:29:37(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Hi Marcus - and a big welcome back to the wonderful world of model railways!
I'm also new to digital, but here goes-blue wire to K83; yellow wire to K83 (next to the blue wire). Red and brown wires to track - make sure red is to "B" and brown to "O". K83 switch settings must be set for switches 1 to 4 on your MS2. Depending where you connect the blue and yellow wires on the K83, the uncoupler will work on MS2 switches 1, or 2, or 3, or 4.
Happy Marklining!......
Joe
Offline Geneva1  
#3 Posted : 20 September 2012 11:58:49(UTC)
Geneva1

Switzerland   
Hi Joe, many thanks for the quick response and tips!

When you say, "K83 switch settings must be set for switches 1 to 4 on your MS2", how do I progamme the decoder's switchbox inside? do they have to be programmed for the MS2 keyboard #1, so as to use switches 1-4? The reason I'm asking this is because I have already two digital turnouts on switches 1 and 2, I believe.

Thanks again and sorry for what may be basic questions!
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#4 Posted : 20 September 2012 12:11:40(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Geneva1 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Joe, many thanks for the quick response and tips!

When you say, "K83 switch settings must be set for switches 1 to 4 on your MS2", how do I progamme the decoder's switchbox inside? do they have to be programmed for the MS2 keyboard #1, so as to use switches 1-4? The reason I'm asking this is because I have already two digital turnouts on switches 1 and 2, I believe.

Thanks again and sorry for what may be basic questions!

I also have a starter set with no1 and 2 set for my turnouts with decoders. I found the easiest is to open the K83, and set the dip switches to work from 5 - 8. I don't have the instruction sheet at hand, but its quite clear where to set the little toggle switches for opeating from 5-8.
Now I have 1, 2, 3, and 4 for my turnouts with decoders, and 5-8 for uncouplers-this, of course enables 8 uncouplers to be connected. One uncoupler will work on 5 red, and another on 5 green, and so on. You can choose the number arrangements on the K83 to suit yourself, of course.
Go well! Joe

Offline Geneva1  
#5 Posted : 20 September 2012 12:17:09(UTC)
Geneva1

Switzerland   
Thanks so much! Will give this a try this evening.

One more question , if you don't mind. If I wanted to isolate one secondary track (the one next to my main line) and control it's current through signals, would I need a K84 decoder for this?

All the best and have a great day!
Marcus
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 20 September 2012 14:57:22(UTC)
H0

Hi, Marcus!
If I wanted to isolate one secondary track (the one next to my main line) and control it's current through signals, would I need a K84 decoder for this?
If you use a signal to control the current, a k84 is not needed. A solenoid signal can be controlled with a k83.

You can use a k84 to control the current without signal.

You can connect uncoupler tracks to either the green or red ports of the k83, allowing 8 uncouplers to be controlled from one k83 (I hope the MS2 supports this, too).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Geneva1  
#7 Posted : 20 September 2012 16:28:58(UTC)
Geneva1

Switzerland   
Thanks, Tom. That's reassuring news. Off soon to buy the signals.
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#8 Posted : 20 September 2012 20:41:38(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Marcus!
If I wanted to isolate one secondary track (the one next to my main line) and control it's current through signals, would I need a K84 decoder for this?
If you use a signal to control the current, a k84 is not needed. A solenoid signal can be controlled with a k83.

You can use a k84 to control the current without signal.

You can connect uncoupler tracks to either the green or red ports of the k83, allowing 8 uncouplers to be controlled from one k83 (I hope the MS2 supports this, too).

Yes indeed Tom, MS2 doesBigGrin
I use one K83 for 8 of my uncouplers, keeping the numbers kinda clustered "together", and the other K83's for turnouts.
works a treat....
still have to work out how to load more than 10 locos onto MS2 permanently, and then how to recall the ones you want to use as you can only "see" 10 at a time...mmmm...the 11th space is only temp i been told...Confused
Joe

Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 20 September 2012 23:51:09(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
still have to work out how to load more than 10 locos onto MS2 permanently
Here I go answering off topic questions again (what's the penalty for that?).
MS2 with software 1.64 or higher should register 40 locos automatically. Maybe your MS2 needs an upgrade (loco cards can be used as a workaround).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#10 Posted : 21 September 2012 12:09:10(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
still have to work out how to load more than 10 locos onto MS2 permanently
Here I go answering off topic questions again (what's the penalty for that?).
MS2 with software 1.64 or higher should register 40 locos automatically. Maybe your MS2 needs an upgrade (loco cards can be used as a workaround).

Thanks Tom - seems you answered this on the Forum way back in July: QUOTE: "IIRC you can select a new loco from the list without freeing a slot - just invoke the selection command from the menu for the occupied slot."
Don't want you get penalties for off-topic answers...but, you see, way back in the good old days I always had less than 10 digital locos.....now, suddenly I have more than 10, and still increasing...can't understand how this hapenned...It must be since I joined the Forum??...I have to give the FD an answerBlushing
Go well, Flapper
Joe

Offline nevw  
#11 Posted : 21 September 2012 23:16:10(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Joe, The correct answer is " But dear I have had that Black steamer for years."
However Locos breed like flies, fleas and rabbits.

OH No No way off topic.

OGN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by nevw
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 22 September 2012 08:17:59(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post
Joe, The correct answer is " But dear I have had that Black steamer for years."
Even SWIMBOs and FDs can tell the difference between a Glaskasten and a Big Boy. But once you have a humble collection ranging from Glaskasten to Big Boy, new steamers can easily be smuggled into the collection.
Colourful diesel and electric locos will remain difficult.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage