Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline reindeerdad  
#1 Posted : 03 April 2012 20:57:14(UTC)
reindeerdad

United States   
QUESTION CANCELLED.....

Sorry----I was successful in my quest to program the 76391 from my MS2. I went through the programming procedure again...and it worked!!

Ignore below...Thanks....Dan

I am trying to program two new 76391 home signals with my 60653 Mobile Station 2 (MS2). Unlike my turnouts, I don't see any way to manually assign an address to the new 76391 signals. As such, I hooked up the first 76391 to my layout and attempted to find it with the 60653. The only reaction from the 76391 was that it flashed alternately red and green, which I have come to understand to be the programming mode. When I remove the programming wire, the signal just remains green, with no apparent way to change it to red. Additionally, when one of my engines goes through the block section, the signal doesn't change from green to red.

Is the programming operation not something that I can accomplish with my MS2? If it can be done, can someone tell me the proper procedure? Thanks....Dan
Offline marklin-ho  
#2 Posted : 23 December 2012 18:14:48(UTC)
marklin-ho

Canada   
Hi Dan,

I still trying to setup my signal with my MS2 but have no luck to get it to work of to find the code the ms2 is giving.

can you help me.

thx
Sacha
Offline reindeerdad  
#3 Posted : 25 December 2012 00:03:55(UTC)
reindeerdad

United States   
Sacha,

From what I recall, I initially connected the home signal as specified in the drawings, leaving the programming wire in place on the signal. At that point I did not have any engines on the track. Once I powered up the MS2, the home signals flashed green/red. Following that, I removed power from the MS2, and removed the programming wire from the home signal. When I then restored power to the MS2, I was able to step through the control numbers that were assigned to my turnouts (1-6) and then the next number was apparently automatically assigned to the first home signal. I was able to switch the home signal from red to green, just as I was able to control my individual turnouts. I repeated the procedure with the second home signal, and its assignment followed the previous home signal assignment. Now I am able to manually (with the MS2) operate the signals to remove/restore power to the section of track controlled by the signal.

Merry Christmas!

Dan
Offline robertog  
#4 Posted : 06 May 2013 02:53:57(UTC)
robertog

Peru   
Originally Posted by: reindeerdad Go to Quoted Post
Sacha,

From what I recall, I initially connected the home signal as specified in the drawings, leaving the programming wire in place on the signal. At that point I did not have any engines on the track. Once I powered up the MS2, the home signals flashed green/red. Following that, I removed power from the MS2, and removed the programming wire from the home signal. When I then restored power to the MS2, I was able to step through the control numbers that were assigned to my turnouts (1-6) and then the next number was apparently automatically assigned to the first home signal. I was able to switch the home signal from red to green, just as I was able to control my individual turnouts. I repeated the procedure with the second home signal, and its assignment followed the previous home signal assignment. Now I am able to manually (with the MS2) operate the signals to remove/restore power to the section of track controlled by the signal.

Merry Christmas!

Dan

Hello, Dan and Sacha,
I seem to have the same problem you both had when trying to set the address for 76391 using the MS2.
When the power is on and the signal flashes red and green (which happens when the programming wire is clipped to the board), I don´t know how to set the address. I have tried many things, like pressing the green button on the first free number and then switching off power, then did it again without pressing any number (hoping for an automatic assignment), but same result: green light stays on when programming wire is removed and power is turned back on.

I would be so thankful if you would share your procedure step-by-step because I have almost given up. I suppose Marklin instructions were written before there was an MS2!

Thank you!

Roberto
Offline reindeerdad  
#5 Posted : 06 May 2013 16:14:59(UTC)
reindeerdad

United States   
Roberto:

Try this:

1. Make sure there are no locomotives on the track. Power off the track.
2. Connect the first signal to the appropriate C track contacts, with the programming wire attached. I used the diagram on page 21 of the 76391 manual as a wiring guide.
3. Turn on track/MS2 power
4. Observe green/red blinking on new signal.
5. Power off the track/MS2
6. Remove Programming wire from signal - leave the signal connected to the C track.
7. Turn power back on track/MS2
8. Step to the first (previously unused) solenoid position on the MS2 (the first one after your assigned turnouts).
9. Press the red, then the green selection button on the solenoid position selection -- the signal should switch between red and green.

Good luck -- Dan
Offline robertog  
#6 Posted : 07 May 2013 06:39:06(UTC)
robertog

Peru   
Roberto:

Try this:

1. Make sure there are no locomotives on the track. Power off the track.
2. Connect the first signal to the appropriate C track contacts, with the programming wire attached. I used the diagram on page 21 of the 76391 manual as a wiring guide.
3. Turn on track/MS2 power
4. Observe green/red blinking on new signal.
5. Power off the track/MS2
6. Remove Programming wire from signal - leave the signal connected to the C track.
7. Turn power back on track/MS2
8. Step to the first (previously unused) solenoid position on the MS2 (the first one after your assigned turnouts).
9. Press the red, then the green selection button on the solenoid position selection -- the signal should switch between red and green.

Good luck -- Dan

Thanks so much Dan!. You are so kind.

Following your steps I was able to make the signal switch colors by pressing the buttons of address 3 (1 and 2 are turnouts)!.

But now I am having a different situation. I am testing on my table using pieces of straight track. I have power coming from the left, in reference to page 21 drawing.

So I put a locomotive on the track, left side, and give it some speed so it moves towards the right. The right end of the track is open, the last piece is the one shown in the diagram. Well, the locomotive will stop, regardless of color of signal, at the end of the second piece of track, starting to count from the left as shown in the diagram (a piece that has a red wire connected to it).

I was expecting that if signal is green, the whole section of track would be powered. Or is it that the right end of track must also be powered, as if closing a loop with the left end?

I am only starting with the hobby so please pardon my ignorance.

Once again, thank you very much

Roberto

What is happening is that if I connect the signal as page 21 indicates, the signal has no power when connected to the track on the left of the diagram. I have the power
Offline reindeerdad  
#7 Posted : 07 May 2013 18:06:58(UTC)
reindeerdad

United States   
Roberto:

Sounds like you are making good progress with your signals. What I found when initially wiring my signals was that I had to follow the diagram very closely, paying particular attention to the placement of the terminal insulators that isolate the "signal controlled" section of the track. In addition, the set of wires from the signal that control power to the section must have one side attached to the normally powered section of C track, with the other end of the lead attached to the isolated section of C track. When you switch the signal, you are then powering the previously isolated section of track.

Dan
Offline robertog  
#8 Posted : 08 May 2013 03:59:02(UTC)
robertog

Peru   
Roberto:

Sounds like you are making good progress with your signals. What I found when initially wiring my signals was that I had to follow the diagram very closely, paying particular attention to the placement of the terminal insulators that isolate the "signal controlled" section of the track. In addition, the set of wires from the signal that control power to the section must have one side attached to the normally powered section of C track, with the other end of the lead attached to the isolated section of C track. When you switch the signal, you are then powering the previously isolated section of track.

Dan

Hi Dan,
very happy to inform you that it is working! One of the leads was unpowered so I made an oval and it is working perfectly.
I really appreciate your help.
I´m going on vacation for a week tomorrow, hopefully we can communicate again in future. I only have one signal, 76391. Maybe I will get another one, or perhaps try a different one...

I will write down what i´ve done, because i might forget it!

Best regards

Roberto
Offline robertog  
#9 Posted : 08 May 2013 05:15:57(UTC)
robertog

Peru   
Originally Posted by: robertog Go to Quoted Post
Roberto:

Dan

Hi Dan,
very happy to inform you that it is working! One of the leads was unpowered so I made an oval and it is working perfectly.
I really appreciate your help.
I´m going on vacation for a week tomorrow, hopefully we can communicate again in future. I only have one signal, 76391. Maybe I will get another one, or perhaps try a different one...

I will write down what i´ve done, because i might forget it!

Best regards

Roberto

Dan, a few more questions if you do not mind...
where is the proper position for this signal? at the beginning of the controlled section, at the center, end? how is it meant to be used? I suppose it ensures that a train at high speed has enough track to stop? thanks!
Offline Jvt1  
#10 Posted : 11 May 2013 08:20:49(UTC)
Jvt1

Australia   
Which wire is the programming wire?

Thank you
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 11 May 2013 08:49:48(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Jvt1 Go to Quoted Post
Which wire is the programming wire?
It's a short wire thingy that is applied to the signal (AFAIK you only have to put the signal into the box to apply the "programming wire").

The manual calls it "wire bracket" or "programming bracket".
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Jvt1  
#12 Posted : 11 May 2013 09:13:05(UTC)
Jvt1

Australia   
Hi Tom.

thank you I understand now.

I have followed the above instructions, however when I get to point 7 to turn the power back and select location on MS2 and press red/green button the signal,lights don't change.

Do you have any idea of what I have done wrong?

Note my signal is 76372

Cheers

JVT
Offline reindeerdad  
#13 Posted : 11 May 2013 15:27:40(UTC)
reindeerdad

United States   
When I installed my signal(s), I already had my turnouts coded and working in the MS2. After removing the programming wire from the new signal and turning power back on the MS2/track, the signal location assignment had been completed automatically by the MS2. The number location on the MS2 for the signal was located immediately following the last assigned turnout. Make sure you are trying that point on your MS2.

Dan
Offline Jvt1  
#14 Posted : 12 May 2013 03:32:55(UTC)
Jvt1

Australia   
Thank you.

Working now.