Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline boxcab  
#1 Posted : 31 January 2012 02:41:51(UTC)
boxcab

I have a near new MS-2, purchased online from reputable dealer in US.

After a few months of very light use, the display has "lines", which are getting worse. The screen is harder-and-harder to read. Meanwhile, the MS-2 works OK. Because I have such a small layout, and few number of engines, I know what the buttons will do without being able to read the display---as long as I know what Loco I am controlling.

When the screen goes black, which I assume is coming, I will be in deep trouble--we'll by flying blind at that point.

This is a $120 item.

This is the first item I've had which I believe was "bad from the factory".

The Dealer says "We will ship it back to Marklin (Germany) for you. They will fix it under warranty, but be aware that it will likely take a long time". They hinted that it might be 6 months, but would not even guess at the time it would take.

Meanwhile, the 9-year-old wee-one and I would like to "Play with our Trains".

Bottom line, is it worth my time--and shipping cost--to trouble myself with warranty service on this sunk cost or should I:

A) Simply buy a new one and hope for better luck. Then, in regard to the old MS-2 as my buddy from Long Island would say, "Fuggetabout!", and toss it in the electronic recycling bin. Currently this is my preferred option without knowing any better.

B) After Option A) THEN send this one for repair in case the new one dies too? I assume the shipping cost alone will be half the cost of a new one. I really don't need 2 of these. I don't know whom I would give it to; I don't want to offer something that has been fixed for sale even if I tell them it was factory repaired. Really I just want to play with our trains.

C) Switch gears altogether: Buy an ebayed MS-1--which for my purposes is basically "good enough", but because I have the MS-2 transformer there is more cost there. Maybe the MS-2 is basically a piece of junk...I don't know--are the displays on MS-2's biting-the-dust all over?

D) Use option C, and then send MS-2 back...but what do I do with 2 different transformers?

Regards,
Boxcab

You might find this as an interesting footnote:
Dealer is diplomatically staying at arms-length from my simple idea of pulling a new MS-2 out of their inventory and helping me. They say they are becoming less and less comfortable with Marklin's repair strategy--because customers are getting PO'd at the time for repairs. They say they wonder how much longer they will carry Marklin products because of the problems they have had with Marklin—both because of repairs such as these, and obtaining merchandise to sell in the first place.

Not looking for a firestorm on this observation, but I found it interesting.
Offline Hoffmann  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2012 03:13:02(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   
Hi,

As a former Dealer myself I find the behavior of your Dealer plain stupid.

Two reasons:

If he has a New MS-2 in Stock just replace your faulty one. He can send the bad unit to Walthers and request a new one with the explanation " dead on arrival ".

If he has no MS-2 in stock ( from Startset or single unit ) he should order one from Walthers.

A good Dealer should take care of his Customers first. It seems to me that this Dealer is no longer interested in selling Marklin

and therefor comes up with excuses not to help you.

Just my 2 Canadian cents worth.

Martin
marklin-eh
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Hoffmann
Offline boxcab  
#3 Posted : 31 January 2012 04:24:31(UTC)
boxcab

Martin,

I suspect you are mighty close to the truth.
BigGrin
I am on the west coast.
Mr. Dealer is on the east coast.

I've bought what I consider a fair amount of goodies from him--nothing huge...something like $1000.
I'm betting that he hopes I go away.
For about $120 do I really want to get bogged down someone who may not mind telling a fib or two?

Here is a parallel: I recently had 2 teeth fixed...one of which was already fixed a few months before. The crown flew off in a sneeze. The hygienist, whom I’ve primarily been dealing with (about 10 years) said, “Hells-bells..looks like we didn’t install this correctly the first time. This one will be on-the-house for sure. Sorry...now let’s get on to the new one”.

Later, I got a bill for full-price on both crowns: both the new crown and on the "do-over" resulting from the sneeze. I learned that the dentist is building a new house!

I ain't going back there, either.

Instead, about a month later, both of my girls got a nice new set of braces (Imagine how many MS-2’s this would fund?)--from someone else. Those braces would have helped pay for some nice picture windows in Mr. Dentists new love nest.

In conclusion: once they won't stand behind thier "word", I set a course elsewhere—because basically its a liars-den at that point.

I don't have time to chase them or beg for them to honor a bogus 2-year warrantee. We want to run our trains. The kids ain't gonna stay young for long.

Is there a way I can send this to Wather's myself?

I think my relationship with Mr. East Coast is over.

Regards,

Boxcab.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 31 January 2012 08:00:19(UTC)
H0

Hi!

I sent an MS2 back to Märklin - one horizontal line and one vertical line remained dark after I used it for the first time. Replacement unit works fine, just as the other MS2.

So I think a good way would be to get a new MS2 before you send the damaged one for repair.
I presume you'll get the new MS2 from a new dealer, maybe he can help with sending it back. May take longer if it's done via Walthers (directly or through dealer), but should reduce the postage fee.

The MS2 transformer/power supply will also work with an MS1, but I would not consider this downgrade - you'll also need a new connection box and you'll have less functionality.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline boxcab  
#5 Posted : 31 January 2012 17:45:51(UTC)
boxcab

Thank you, HO

Maybe my MS-2 has the same problem that your's did: in my case the display started out OK...then came one horizontal line--then more, then more still...they seem to continue to multiply.

Because I'm so far away from a dealer, I kept it initially, hoping it wouldn't get worse--the girls can't run the trains without it.

But it looks like we have a solution in mind.

I'll wait a few days and see if other's feel inclinded to comment.

Meanwhile we'll work on on scenery; the girls enjoy this--but in smaller doses than running the trains.

Regards,

Boxcab
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#6 Posted : 31 January 2012 18:36:41(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
Hope this is a relatively rare occurrence... I just ordered a new MS2 myself Confused