Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 23 November 2011 17:56:50(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I was reading the comments in the "Right way to go Maerklin?" thread and thought that I would start a new thread based on some of the comments.

It seems that the forum is divided between people who want more detailed models of the Traxx and other Hobby loks and those who are happy with the basic models.

I don't see it as a "either or" situation, but think that Maerklin could satisfy both sides. This applies not only to the Traxx loks, but also to the selection of rolling stock.

In terms of modern rolling stock (passenger), Maerklin's offerings in 1/100 have included the SBB EWIV and EC coaches, the DB Avmz111, Apmz121, Avmz207 (Eurofima), Bpmz291 and the classic Am203/Bm234 designs. Now, Maerklin is releasing models of the same basic collection in the new scale of 1/93.5.

What I would like to see is a better selection of models, both in 1/100 and in 1/93.5. The thought that Maerklin thinks that we are satisfied with repaints of the same coach types in OBB, FS, SNCB, and SNCF when companies like LSM, Roco, ACME, etc are coming out with the "Metropolitan", the "Railjet", the "IC 2000" and so on frustrates me. I have no choice if I want to model one of those trains other than to switch to exact scale 1/87.

Why can't Maerklin make CNL and/or DB Nachtzug, OBB and DB EC coaches (new molds, eg Bvmz185 or OBB Amz/Bmz), SBB RIC or similar? Don't Maerklin modellers want to have similar choices to exact scale modellers?

Are you happy with the same old coaches, or would you like to see Maerklin take advantage of the shift to 1/93.5 to increase the range of models to make more prototypical consists possible?

What would you like to see in terms of coaches?

SBB EWI and RIC
OBB EC coaches
Expanded DB coaches (Bvmz185, Apmz123, etc)
More Night Trains
ICE T (411/415)
DB Modus Coaches
DB S-Bahn Trainsets (423/425/426, etc)
Flirt/Kiss Trainsets
and the list goes on...

I will be happy to see the Eurofima in 1/93.5, but hope to see more options as well. Isn't it time for Maerklin to do more for it's customers?

Regards

Mike C

Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 23 November 2011 19:38:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have noticed recently that the selection of coaches is less than it used to be. I hope it's a temporary thing due to the recent troubles in the company and that some of the different types we've seen before in 1:100 now appear in the new longer length too.

For the Hobby modeller it would be nice if they produced a selection of representative types in different colours in 1:100. Last year they made the Interregio coaches. They could add coaches in IC/TEE colours, Blue/cream etc.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline elinkjoe  
#3 Posted : 24 November 2011 20:44:44(UTC)
elinkjoe

Agreed. If this is a strategy on M's part, I feel it is self defeating. Fewer items to choose from means fewer items to buy. When it comes to rolling stock I have of late more non-Marklin purchases. Mostly because they are things I want that M doesn't offer.
elinkjoe
Offline ozzman  
#4 Posted : 24 November 2011 20:55:38(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Well, I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but in my opinion what we're more likely to see is a smaller range of models with more variations (eg different paint schemes). This would allow M* to cut their production costs.
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline Armando  
#5 Posted : 27 November 2011 17:58:10(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Please no more "Schürzenwagen"! We've already seen them in all possible colour schemes, railway companies and eras. The only good thing about them is that at least they are 1:87.

For my particular epoch interest, I would like to see a release, or better still, a retooling of the Prussian 3-axled compartment cars in original Prussian livery. Also, I'm ready to buy whatever Märklin will release as tin-plate coaches, for nostalgia reasons.

As for modern coaches D-Zug-Wagen or IC, etc, I agree with Mike in that the selection has so far been limited, although it was refreshing to see these coaches in a retooled version. I really can't be bothered by Marklin's production, as apart from very few exceptions, I usually try to buy them at exact scale, mainly from Roco, and now more from LSM.

My opinion has always been that Märklin should have continued the production of the 1:100 coaches for the "R1-R2-ists", and then invested in the 1:87 scale line for the rest of the model railroading world to enjoy (both AC and DC). In that way, we wouldn't have had to turn to other brands for those models.
Best regards,
Armando García

Offline Rinus  
#6 Posted : 27 November 2011 20:49:02(UTC)
Rinus

Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post

My opinion has always been that Märklin should have continued the production of the 1:100 coaches for the "R1-R2-ists", and then invested in the 1:87 scale line for the rest of the model railroading world to enjoy (both AC and DC). In that way, we wouldn't have had to turn to other brands for those models.

I'm very gratefull that I decided to have a look at other brands a few years ago. The choice is enormous, the detailing astonishing and the quality not that bad to. Why stick to one brand, hoping they will improve to diferent standards one day? We all know they won't.

Online David Dewar  
#7 Posted : 27 November 2011 20:49:11(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Regarding coaches I would like to see a decent interior. Also when removing the roof to insert passengers and lighting there should be a better way of removing most of them which can damage the roof. Even worse is when removing the interior which does not always clip too well to the chassis.
We apy too much for not great quality.
Brawa give good detail (flimsy though because of this) but at an expensive price.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline I_love_Marklin_37538  
#8 Posted : 29 November 2011 14:16:15(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post
Please no more "Schürzenwagen"! We've already seen them in all possible colour schemes, railway companies and eras. The only good thing about them is that at least they are 1:87.

For my particular epoch interest, I would like to see a release, or better still, a retooling of the Prussian 3-axled compartment cars in original Prussian livery. Also, I'm ready to buy whatever Märklin will release as tin-plate coaches, for nostalgia reasons.

As for modern coaches D-Zug-Wagen or IC, etc, I agree with Mike in that the selection has so far been limited, although it was refreshing to see these coaches in a retooled version. I really can't be bothered by Marklin's production, as apart from very few exceptions, I usually try to buy them at exact scale, mainly from Roco, and now more from LSM.

Armando I for one like to see M continuing producing the Schurzenwagen,the Schurzenwagen do not look bad at all,I like to see the DRG Schurzenwagen be re-released
Offline MarioFabro  
#9 Posted : 29 November 2011 16:02:38(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
I am looking for any new SBB and FS coach in 1:93.5 Would love the IC2000 double deckers. I am trying to get them from Hag as my Roco's 1:87 are too long and interfere with the lanterns in the switches. I like that size because it allows you to make longer and more prototypical trains (6-7 coaches at a minimum) withouth getting way way too long.

I have coaches of other brands as well (Roco, Liliput, Rivarossi, Hag, Acme, Fleishmann) but almost all of them are more delicate than M*. Granted, there are more details (you can add all handrails etc.) but I am not trusting them to run on the lay-out for very long times.

I am almost convinced that I will run mostly only Marklin and Hag and leave the rest on the display.

Therefore I am pleased with the reduced scale but, as Mike, I would like to see more selection.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"