Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artvegas  
#1 Posted : 08 November 2011 04:44:16(UTC)
artvegas

United States   
I have seen some train layouts in some older Marklin catalogs. Are there other locations I could find this kind of information? I have checked out a few web sites but they only feature info on either engines or rolling stock. I am trying to put together a series of trains and would like to know what freight cars go together. I would also like to put together correct passenger trains as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Art
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 08 November 2011 05:53:08(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: artvegas Go to Quoted Post
I have seen some train layouts in some older Marklin catalogs. Are there other locations I could find this kind of information? I have checked out a few web sites but they only feature info on either engines or rolling stock. I am trying to put together a series of trains and would like to know what freight cars go together. I would also like to put together correct passenger trains as well. Any help would be appreciated.

Art

Hi Art,

It's a bit of a broad question - can you narrow it down to an ERA and/or Country/Region?

Marklin did publish a nice large poster many years ago which showed a number of consists, and it was also printed in one of the catalogues across two pages, possibly mid-late 90's I think. Someone will know and be able to put up the images.

But that aside, (almost) anything goes really, expect perhaps an ICE pulled by a Big Boy with an Epoch I or II baggage car at the end.
(Now I just KNOW that's going to prompt someone to create and photograph it) Flapper

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline cookee_nz  
#3 Posted : 08 November 2011 07:51:42(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   

Art

Always good when looking for something else, and you find what you didn't expect.

These might help you - from the 1990 English/Italian catalogue
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
consist1.jpg
consist2.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 08 November 2011 10:37:13(UTC)
H0

Hi, Art!
I am trying to put together a series of trains and would like to know what freight cars go together.
Freight trains are combined by customers - so nearly all contemporary freight cars can go together within their regional areas. Most European freight cars can be used all over Europe - some are even prepared to run on different gauges (e.g. to Russia).
Transformer cars and torpedo cradles are a different story (they only run in special trains). The famous "Langer Heinrich" only has ore cars, but for the needs of small companies, you can add one or two hopper cars to a mixed train.

Mixing DB and SBB or SBB and FS is less exotic than mixing DSB and FS - but technically it is possible.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline rmsailor  
#5 Posted : 08 November 2011 11:38:12(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi Art,

If you look at the L.S.models web-site and click on "composition de rame" (french language) you will find diagrams of passenger train formations for various years. It is naturally biased towards their own products but it will give you some idea of how train are put together.
For some of the longer expresses I would imagine some selective compression would be called for.

Bob M.
Offline kbvrod  
#6 Posted : 08 November 2011 14:06:39(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 08 November 2011 15:23:46(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Art,

I am a little confused. The heading says passenger train consists, but your initial post asks about freight consists. Traditionally international freight consists were marshalled at large freight yards. At those yards, cars heading to a specific destination or to another freight yard were sorted into consists. Those trains would then be pulled to the destination. If the train went to another freight yard, the cars would be split and sorted (marshalled) for their final destination. It would be possible to find pretty much all kinds of freight cars mixed along the way.
Today, many freight trains are operated by private operators, who offer daily or scheduled services between point A and point B. Those trains travel the entire route each time and are no longer stopped along the way for marshalling. The end result is that it is now much more common to see unit trains, made up of oil tankers, container cars or car carriers. Those trains now travel with pretty much the same exact consist each trip, so there is almost no variation. Companies that seek to ship items can ship by truck or by container via those unit train services, or for random shipments, go through the national railways cargo division, which may still ship that item using "less than carload" services which would then still be sorted along the way the traditional way, but would take longer than the modern services.
It is still possible to see local freight with mixed compositions, as those trains are made up of cars sorted at the larger domestic hubs and sent out for delivery.
I remember reading about and seeing photos showing freight cars being sorted at Muttenz (CH), then transported south down the Gotthard by the SBB to Chiasso, where they were sorted for their Italian destination and then hauled into Italy by FS loks.

One hint. The UIC or RIC/RIV numbers show whether the particular car is allowed for international or domestic traffic only. For example, a car labelled 50 85 belongs to the SBB and is allowed for inland use only. An international freight car would have 51 85. So, in Germany, it would be possible to find domestic German 50 80 combined with international German 51 80 and 51 XX from other railways. You would not find inland cars from other countries in that train. Older cars had the RIV marking EUROP for international use, so cars with those markings could be combined.

As far as passenger traffic, coaches are run in specific consists by destination, although some coaches may be detached along the way and then go on to other destinations along the way. International trains usually have the same consist daily. Local trains are also operated by schedule and normally include domestic coaches of the operating railway. They may also include coaches from international trains being carried to local destinations.

Trains are operated by one or more of the national railways. Thus, the consists of international trains are now normally composed of coaches belonging to that railway. Along the way, domestic or additional international coaches belonging to railways along the route may be added on, either for the full run or for destinations along the way. So, a train from Belgium to Italy may have Belgian or Italian coaches, but could also have Swiss, Luxembourg or French coaches along the way.
A good site with international consists is:

http://e.bournez.free.fr/Eurocity.html

As stated, LS Models has some consists (mainly Belgian) under Composition des Rames. You can find more about Belgian and Belgian internaitional trains at http://www.belrail.be/F/...ntl/classique/index.html or older (cancelled) services at http://www.belrail.be/F/.../intl/classique/old.html
Swiss consists and those of trains travelling through Switzerland can be found at www.reisezuege.ch\\

There are also sites like this one: http://www.vonderruhren....bahn/seiten/internat.php which have some info for DB trains

This might also be of interest: http://www.mist4.de/arch...1-vortrag-zugbildung.pdf

and this one: http://germanrail.8.foru...ugbildung-in-1/87-HO-20/

and one last minute addition: http://www.vagonweb.cz/r...amp;rok=2011&lang=de

Regards

Mike C
Offline artvegas  
#8 Posted : 09 November 2011 04:00:58(UTC)
artvegas

United States   
Thanks to all who replied. I now have plenty of homework to do.

I also found some trains with car numbers in 1979-1983 Marklin catalogs. Thanks Cookee for the suggestion.

I am just trying to map out what cars I should be looking to purchase to make up prototype trains with the Marklin cars I have. I mainly collect era's 111-V.

Art

Offline cookee_nz  
#9 Posted : 09 November 2011 05:47:17(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Thanks to all who replied. I now have plenty of homework to do.

I also found some trains with car numbers in 1979-1983 Marklin catalogs. Thanks Cookee for the suggestion.

I am just trying to map out what cars I should be looking to purchase to make up prototype trains with the Marklin cars I have. I mainly collect era's 111-V.

Art

Hi Art,

Glad it helped. I was browsing the '95-96 catalogue today and I see it has similar consist suggestions so I've scanned those two pages also, and it breaks down into Epoch as well which might be rather handy

Cheers

Cookee
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
95consist1.jpg
95consist2.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 09 November 2011 11:57:32(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
There's also these on the Marklin.com website:

http://www.marklin.com/tech/ho-comp.html
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline artvegas  
#11 Posted : 10 November 2011 03:42:19(UTC)
artvegas

United States   
I really like the catalog layouts as they give the car part numbers as a short cut.

Art
Offline mike c  
#12 Posted : 10 November 2011 04:32:47(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Art,

the Maerklin catalog lists show possibilities using (mostly) that year's catalog models. They do not provide information, for example, about combining current and older models or about combining material from different countries, as is common in Europe. The other sites I mentioned all describe the original consists and provide details on some models that can be used to reproduce those consists. I grant that not many of the suggestions are Maerklin coaches or cars, but the sites list the coach types, which you can then locate in the Maerklin catalog, HFKern's (google HFKern.de and Maerklin or Roco) list of Maerklin, Roco and other models or on eBay.de.

Out of curiosity, are you modelling 24cm metal coaches (1950s-2000), 26-27cm plastic coaches (1:100 1972-2004) or the new 28cm (1:93 coaches 2005-today)?

I like to use photos, easily available on the internet today, to learn about the real train that ran on a given route that I want to reproduce. I then look for consisting suggestions from various sites, then look up the individual coach types to find out whether they are available in model and from which company. I then assemble the consist using the available models to reproduce the train as closely as possible, given the limitations of HO scale.

I am very proud that my models allow me to recreate trains that I have seen or have ridden on, and am very glad that other manufacturers make product that in many cases, Maerklin does not. If it was not for those companies, I would not have models of the CityNightLine, DB Night Train, various SBB, SNCF, FS and other night trains, as well as local and regional trains not offered by Maerklin.

Enjoy your trains and I hope that you do not limit your inspiration to suggestions posted in the Maerklin catalog.

Regards

Mike C