Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 05 September 2011 05:15:32(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I was wondering what your thoughts were about the trend towards specific consist Sets as opposed to generic coach Sets or individual coaches.
Many new releases have consisted of coaches representing a specific train, including destination signs and other details that are specific to that consist, ie Maerklin/Trix's IC Beethoven, TEE Rheinpfeil, etc.
If you are interested in a type of coach or consist, but the model released represents a train or consist that has little or no relevance to the your particular interest, as in my case, where I am modelling Swiss trains and Switzerland and as such, am not interested in coaches on a run from Dortmund to Munich or Amsterdam to Vienna. I did get the IC Beethoven Sets, because I like these coaches behind a Re 6/6 (IC Tiziano/Verdi/etc) as I saw around 1985 when I was in Switzerland in the summer.
Here is the question:

1) Would you buy such a Set (or Sets) and imagine that the train was a consist that fit your layout/area of interest?

2) Would you wait for Maerklin (or another company) to release a model of a specific consist that operated in your area of interest?

3) Would you prefer that the models were released without specific destination signs so that they were more universally usable, with decals for destination signs, etc?

4) Would you buy a Set to have it now and then buy the proper consist Set if it is eventually released and then sell the original Set?

For example, I was very happy to have the Trix TEE Roland Set as that consist goes with my Re 4/4II TEE and could be seen every day on the Gotthard line. I was also happy to have the Roco Rheingold (even though the destination signs were incorrectly labelled for Munich) and the TEE Bavaria (Re 4/4I plus coach Set).

I would be very interested in a DB IC Set with destination signs for Switzerland/Italy (ie Verdi, Tiziano) or also as an EC for similar routes. Same would go for Austrian, Italian or French consists. For now, I can overlook the fact that the ones I in my collection have different labels.

Regards

Mike C
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 05 September 2011 09:02:02(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Mike,

That's a good set of questions. Mostly the answers would depend on whether you model a specific region/era/railway etc. In my case my main interest is in DB era III/IV, but I occasionally run trains from other countries and eras as well, so I'm not too specific in my buying. I do try not to mix trains that would never be seen together in real life, though, so you won't see an ICE overtaking a Landerbahn local train on my layout.

To answer your questions in order then:

1) Yes, I would buy such sets, but I imagine the layout is fit for the train, not the other way around.

2) No, I wouldn't wait for a specific train to appear. I don't have the patience for that.

3) Yes, I would prefer that models were released with sets of decals for different destinations.

4) No, I never sell any of my trains (so far).

Additionally, I would say that I prefer coaches to be released individually, rather than in sets, so that I can make up my own choice of train.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 05 September 2011 10:16:01(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Thanks Mike for helping us considering our options.

1.) Yes I would buy such sets as well, the only draw back is the amount in A$.
as most my consists take up to 13(14) coaches it becomes a bit expensive.
Haven't got any TEE coaches (1:87) and these come very rarely as a Sonderpreis (special sale price).
Have 3 sets of French coaches and I need 2 restaurant cars for them but none of them are IC.
Have Austrian coaches (inland travel & cross border coaches.
Have a mixture of Swiss coaches.
One of these days I have to sit down and write what type of coaches are used for what train.

At the moment I'm thinking of keeping my trains for another 2 or 3 years and when the time comes, I may have to undergo some counselling how to deal with divorce, Postmortem Trauma and extreme withdrawal symptons.
I know my wife will support me all the way.
God knows what I'm going to do with my layout, so I don't have to think about it much, leave it to the expertsBigGrin

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline supermoee  
#4 Posted : 05 September 2011 11:16:26(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello Mike,

I'm not interested if the coaches are representing a specific train or not. If I like them, I buy them. Anyway, when the train is running on my layout, I cannot read the destination indication on the side.
And if this is really disturbing you, you can buy sticker sets with the destination you like more and put them on the original.

But I'm looking on coaches which really ran in Germany in that era. this is the only thing I take care off. but even for this an alibi can be found. For example I like the swiss EWII and EWIII coaches and the crocodile -> an extra museum train with this coaches and the croc is running on my layout a special "historic trip" for crocodile fans in Germany.

rgds

Stephan

Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 05 September 2011 11:38:09(UTC)
H0

Hi!

1) Yes.
2) No.
3) I don't like decals. I think it would be better to have printed destination signs and decals, so if you don't like the printed version you can have something different. But if you don't like decals, you still have printed destination signs.
4) Maybe.

On my layout you can see trains side by side that couldn't have met in real life (either because of different times or different areas).
It's my world, and I only try to keep each train prototypically correct.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Macfire  
#6 Posted : 05 September 2011 15:22:29(UTC)
Macfire

1, Yes
2, No
3, Yes
4, Maybe

BUT

Any passenger consist brought now WILL result in an act of Extreme Prejudice Crying
Lord Macca
New Zealand branch of Clan Donald.
Offline petestra  
#7 Posted : 05 September 2011 15:32:31(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi Mike, I agree with Ray totally.

1.yes
2.no
3.yes
4.no

Cheers,PeterSmile
Offline hxmiesa  
#8 Posted : 05 September 2011 16:26:38(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I prefer individual waggons, and a load of decals to decorate it. Almost all of my 27cm cars always came like that.
Whole consists are OK if they are VERY special, but I can´t really think of any specific. It seems more logical that individual waggons with optional decals would sell more plentyful than specific sets with limited demand¿? I suppose Märklin did the numbers, but it still seems strange to me...

I do have a couple of whole consists; Apart from the nuisance of not having alternative decals, I am also stuck with too many baggage-waggons, and waggons with identical computer-numbers...

In short;
1.yes
2.no
3.yes
4.no
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com