Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline neo007  
#1 Posted : 31 March 2011 21:25:47(UTC)
neo007

hi all

i know this is a silly question but which type track can i use as AC and DC not at same time of course but at any diffrent occasions as i know theres the problem of running dc on ac track as in power pick up but what i like is the M track style track but would like to use that track for DC locos as well as marklin trains too without converting the dc locos to ac so any help would be good in achiving this

uless theres new track that i could use 1 dc train on say 1 loop and on another loop a marklin train but obviously not linked together as that would be silly lol

cheers
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 31 March 2011 22:58:42(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: neo007 Go to Quoted Post
hi all

i know this is a silly question but which type track can i use as AC and DC not at same time of course but at any diffrent occasions as i know theres the problem of running dc on ac track as in power pick up but what i like is the M track style track but would like to use that track for DC locos as well as marklin trains too without converting the dc locos to ac so any help would be good in achiving this

uless theres new track that i could use 1 dc train on say 1 loop and on another loop a marklin train but obviously not linked together as that would be silly lol

cheers

You can't use m-track for DC as the two rails are electrically joined to the metal track base... This means that if you were able to connect to each rail it would simply short out.. It should be possible to use C-track for DC, but you need to do lots of work - it would be much easier to just have a separate DC line made from suitable (and cheaper) track..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline neo007  
#3 Posted : 31 March 2011 23:01:04(UTC)
neo007

in what way would you have to do lots of work to the c track ? i assume you mean by soldering the lines or something like that
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 31 March 2011 23:52:25(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
C Track can be used for AC and DC, providing that the contacts which link the two rails together on each track section are severed, resulting in separate circuits for each track. Once that is done, it should be possible to run DC trains on the track. K Track is designed with separated tracks. The only place where the rails are connected to each other are the power supply tracks, switches and contact tracks. The power must be connected to the rails by soldering a wire directly to the rails, as the track section with contacts cannot be used.

I would probably recommend using C Track radius 4 and 5 for AC and setting up a Trix C Track radius 3 DC track alongside. This may pose an issue if you wish to have AC tracks on the inside of the layout (ie siding). This can be solved by having the AC tracks inclined on one side of the layout and the DC Tracks declining, so that your siding passes over the DC tracks on it's way to the inside of the layout.

You can use DC electrics on AC track if you equip the catenary with DC power. This solution cannot be used for steam or diesel loks.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c