Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Roman  
#1 Posted : 28 March 2011 18:10:31(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Hello all,
My father has an O Gauge live steam BR-18 with no manufacturer's mark that he can find without dis-assembly. It's missing a few parts, according to someone else, in order to make it function. On a slim chance, I wanted to see if anyone here would recognize it. Thank you.
Roman

BR-18 OneBR-18 TwoBR-18 Three

Edited by user 07 April 2011 07:42:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Frankenbahner  
#2 Posted : 31 March 2011 08:50:18(UTC)
Frankenbahner

This could probably be an Aster model.

Aster is a Japanese firm specialized on live-steam models.

Regards,
Florian
H0 3-rail AC with DCC, MM and mfx, 2-rail DC streetcars, and N gauge
Offline Roman  
#3 Posted : 31 March 2011 19:57:47(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Originally Posted by: Frankenbahner Go to Quoted Post
This could probably be an Aster model.

Aster is a Japanese firm specialized on live-steam models.

Regards,
Florian

Hello Florian,
Based on your reply I checked with Aster in the US and in the UK. Neither one recognized this model but they gave me Hubner, Wilag, Kiss, and Maerklin as a possibility. I don't think Maerklin made it since the road number is different but I'll keep at it as long as I have names to pursue. Thank you for your time.
Roman
Offline gachar001  
#4 Posted : 31 March 2011 20:04:03(UTC)
gachar001

India   
It is a really beautiful loco.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline Frankenbahner  
#5 Posted : 31 March 2011 20:28:56(UTC)
Frankenbahner

The Märklin model did not only have a different running number. Your model shows an 18.5 (series k to o), delivered to the DRG in the 1920ies and early 1930ies (the last new unit was built in 1931), while the Märklin model was a "series a to i" loco, which were delivered to the Royal Bavarian State Railways and renumbered as BR 18.4 by the DRG. Except the series d and e, the BR 18.4 had that "streamlinded" cab.

Regards,
Florian
H0 3-rail AC with DCC, MM and mfx, 2-rail DC streetcars, and N gauge
Offline Roman  
#6 Posted : 31 March 2011 21:49:33(UTC)
Roman

United States   
It's a bit difficult. I'm in Georgia and the locomotive is in Washington. I don't have another Maerklin model to compare it to and the familiar trademark isn't anywhere to be seen according to my Dad. The pressure gauge and a few other bits seem to be missing as is the manual, which would negate this query entirely.
Offline Roman  
#7 Posted : 31 March 2011 21:56:13(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Originally Posted by: gachar001 Go to Quoted Post
It is a really beautiful loco.

He's proud of it for sure. I often goad him to give it a run at the local steam meet that he enjoys visiting. He has another Bing live steamer and it looks as nice though less common probably. I'm not sure if he will ever run these. I'd sure get excited to see it chugging around. He likes to remember the prototype as it came through Augsburg back in the day.
Offline hgk  
#8 Posted : 01 April 2011 10:04:44(UTC)
hgk

Here's one:

http://www.bahnbilder.de...nd+Vereine~Locorama.html

Well, this is the big scale forum!
Offline Steinzeit  
#9 Posted : 02 April 2011 03:58:24(UTC)
Steinzeit

I believe the locomotive model may be by Spring [ of Switzerland ]. Spring, who, to the best of my knowledge, is still in business and may be able to provide instructions/parts, made these locomotives in Ga 1 and Ga 0; in the latter case, electric versions were also produced.

Please forgive my impertinence with this next question, but is it possible your father's model is Ga 0 and not Ga 1 ? I am asking this question because,
- the track the model is sitting on appears to be Gargraves and 3 rail, which would be unusual but not impossible for Ga 1;
- based on photographs, there appear to be small differences between the 'same' model in the two sizes, and your father's appear to have the characteristics of the 0 ga version.
[ I have this model in 0, but as it is an electric version, the comparison would be moot.]

With best regards,

Steinzeit
Offline Roman  
#10 Posted : 02 April 2011 04:36:27(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Originally Posted by: Steinzeit Go to Quoted Post
I believe the locomotive model may be by Spring [ of Switzerland ]. Spring, who, to the best of my knowledge, is still in business and may be able to provide instructions/parts, made these locomotives in Ga 1 and Ga 0; in the latter case, electric versions were also produced.

Please forgive my impertinence with this next question, but is it possible your father's model is Ga 0 and not Ga 1 ? I am asking this question because,
- the track the model is sitting on appears to be Gargraves and 3 rail, which would be unusual but not impossible for Ga 1;
- based on photographs, there appear to be small differences between the 'same' model in the two sizes, and your father's appear to have the characteristics of the 0 ga version.
[ I have this model in 0, but as it is an electric version, the comparison would be moot.]

With best regards,

Steinzeit

Thank you for the lead. In regards to scale, I appreciate any correction. I know HO and anything else is a guess.
Roman
Offline Roman  
#11 Posted : 02 April 2011 04:40:49(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Originally Posted by: hgk Go to Quoted Post
Here's one:

http://www.bahnbilder.de...nd+Vereine~Locorama.html

Well, this is the big scale forum!

And, if all is correct in regards to road number and type, then this should be the prototype the loc in question is modeled after. Very nice to see it.
Offline Roman  
#12 Posted : 07 April 2011 07:53:02(UTC)
Roman

United States   
Originally Posted by: Steinzeit Go to Quoted Post

Steinzeit

Maybe I should have asked you for their web site. It took me this long to find it since it wasn't an easy address to guess. The locomotive isn't that common although I found it listed on a couple of sites including a listing for an auction last year. They had it along with a wooden chest and accessories. There is even more history to be found for the prototype as well. The web sites that follow are for anyone interested in this or the prototype. Thank you all for the info and leads.
Roman

Item 1080 On Auction Although The Road Number Is Wrongly Stated But Correctly Pictured:
http://www.selzer-toy-au...1-2010/Pos-1000-1153.pdf

History:
http://www.drehscheibe-f...oren/read.php?17,5178209

Spring's Web Site:
http://www.spring-ltd.ch/home/index.htm