Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2011 06:04:23(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
On 6 January I posted my digital E40 (which came from Start Set 29855), from Australia to Marklin Repair Service in Goeppingen, Germany.

I received the locomotive after repair on 14 March. I feel this service is outstanding, and deserves recognition.

I bought the E40 second-hand on eBay ( - I know, I know!!), and it would run intermittantly. So I sent it off, with an instruction to spend no more than 150 Euro. I got an invoice in mid February for 50 Euros, and I paid this direct to Marklin bank account.

To my way of thinking, it was money well spent, as the loco now runs perfectly. If I need to purchase a second-hand locomotive, I will always assume this sort of expense may be necessary, as sellers of these items don't necessarily describe faults.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Lollo  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2011 07:32:24(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi Kimbal,
I am pleased you recieved such excellent service from Marklin, and that the charges were reasonable. Perhaps this shows the commitment from Marklin that they want to look after their customers.
However, it would be interesting to have a breakdown of what repairs were done to rectify your locomotive. Was it quite an envolved repair or just some minor maintanance?

Regards,
Brian.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2011 12:56:33(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Brian,

I really can't say, I expected that they might have to replace the complete decoder electronics. I have no knowledge of this stuff. But for 50 Euros, I guess it was reasonably minor.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline ac jacko  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2011 13:07:19(UTC)
ac jacko

That is good news and what was postage rates 18 euro ?
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 16 March 2011 13:24:56(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Nice to hear a happy story about dealings with Marklin. BigGrin
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline jvuye  
#6 Posted : 16 March 2011 14:41:02(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Looks like a very good sign that Märklin is still ready and able to service older equipment.
I personally witnessed the dedication and "customer orientation" of the people at the service desk at the Museum in Goeppingen..they are just enthusiastic and seemingly put their pride in solving customers problems.
If this trend and type of service continues to materialise, it demonstrates that there is no need for "wise guys" from "investment funds" to run a company.
Way to go Märklin, just keep it up!
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline pa-pauls  
#7 Posted : 16 March 2011 15:03:14(UTC)
pa-pauls

Nice to hear Kimball ThumpUp
Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline steventrain  
#8 Posted : 16 March 2011 20:39:40(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: pa-pauls Go to Quoted Post
Nice to hear Kimball ThumpUp

Ditto here.ThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline cookee_nz  
#9 Posted : 16 March 2011 21:10:18(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Lollo Go to Quoted Post
Hi Kimbal,
I am pleased you recieved such excellent service from Marklin, and that the charges were reasonable. Perhaps this shows the commitment from Marklin that they want to look after their customers.
However, it would be interesting to have a breakdown of what repairs were done to rectify your locomotive. Was it quite an envolved repair or just some minor maintanance?

Regards,
Brian.

Hi Kimbal,

Like Brian, I too was curious what the problem was, and also wondered why you didn't see if it was something simple you could have fixed yourself? - this is NOT criticism of you in any way, it's just that model railroaders tend to become pretty self-sufficient, often by necessity and there were probably some simple things that could have been ruled out that you may have been able to do yourself.

Of course you might have 4 thumbs and two left feet and not even slightly interested in even taking the top off and there is absolutely no problem with that, but don't overlook the resources in a forum like this where the collective knowledge could solve just about anything.

And just out of curiosity, is there any reason you couldn't use a local repairer? - perhaps connected with the Marklin agent in your area? - again this is a genuine question, I'm curious to know what the perceived levels of local support / knowledge might be.

I know there are a couple of very skilled gents down here in Melbourne with considerable Marklin experience and I guess there must be others around Aussie as well.

Perhaps this could be the start of a database of people with Marklin repair skills in different regions that others may not know about?

Great that you got it sorted all the same. I had to send a Loco back from NZ once but it was still under warranty and the set was brought from Germany so the importer at the time wouldn't want to know. My experience was also good, but that was some years ago now when the company had a totally different ethos. Perhaps we are seeing a return to the 'good old days' ???

Cheers from your southerly neighbour

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline river6109  
#10 Posted : 17 March 2011 00:33:00(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Cookee,

I think Kimball made the right decision although you have some valid points.

For Euro 50 you don't get much for repairing a loco.

I've installed a sound decoder recently into a second hand BR 03 and at the same time made a slight improvement by adding Led's. I've charged the client A$ 50.00.

It depends how well the loco has been maintained before and buying second hand locos cheap on ebay sometimes can, as Kimball described it, not every fault is declared.

From a repairer point of view it is sometimes, your client doesn't appreciate the work you carry out beyond the agreed terms.
In some cases the loco ran perfect before it was handed over to you and when testing the loco it runs erratically.
From my point, as repairer, you would like to return the loco in its best condition.
Handling locos in a correct way, regardless new or second hand is, I assume, not everyone has the same touch and experience, to know how to.
The above loco has one actual wheel(cog) while the rest is driven by side rods.
If you for example push the loco manually forward because the loco doesn't run for what ever reason, you can finish up with the wheels being out of alignment.
My point is, repairing a second hand loco can be expensive and owners sometimes do not know the time it takes to look, observe, disassemble and assemble and repair a loco.
In my case it was more than 4 hours with another visit 3 days later.
A good repairer will be able to outline faults, bad designs (manufacturer) and faulty assembly by the manufacturer.
In some cases, Marklin is god, the client is god and the repairer has to cop the rest of it.
in other cases, buyers buy, in their mind a cheap loco on ebay, can't fix it themselves and it appears, they don't want to spend too much money to repair it otherwise their cheap deal wasn't so cheap after all.
Some buyers have a mental attitude by not being able to admit, they've scored a bad deal and we as repairers have to make up for their shortfall.
This particular 03 has wires going past the last driving wheel and as I opened up the loco and fitted a new sound decoder I've noticed it, the wires actually touching the wheel.
Over time the plastic insulated wire would have exposed the core wire and a short or damage to the decoder could take place. (manufacturers bad design).
Another point I like to make what is maybe trivial to a client is a major concern for a repairer (above scenario).
All I can advise potential second hand buyers to be aware and if repair is needed, it isn't cheap.
Not knowing the problem with Kimball's loco and what had to be fixed, Euro 50.00 is still cheap.
I've had clients in the past, turning up with the most rusty 3000 steam loco I've ever seen and expect the repairer to fix it because the loco has a sentimental value to them.
Some clients like to see what repairs you've done and open the loco again and by doing this damaging the loco and returning it to you by explaining, the loco doesn't run any more.
We as repairers have an eye what has been repaired and who fiddled with the loco afterwards, some modellers just haven't got the gift to do this sort of work or repair but will always try to do this themselves with constant negative results. In the end I refused to repair locos for this client.

And than there are the sneaky ones, they know your reputation but try to put the wool over your head by giving you loco for repair, e.g. change brushes, slider, rubber tyres or other minor repairs but don't tell you the loco doesn't actually work and than you hear the same line of words, it was working perfectly before I've handed it to you.

I've had locos, completely new coming from the marklin factory with a cogwheels teeth missing on one side.
The official Marklin repairer at the time was based in Sydney and returned the loco with a note saying: there is nothing wrong with the loco. He didn't want to have the postal expenses to send the loco back to Marklin.

And there are cases when train enthusiasts try to repair locos themselves and don't realize the time and effort and experience you need, to take on such a job and you can finish up paying twice the amount the loco was originally worth and you no where near a finished repair work.

So all in all.

Advise when buying second hand locos:

only use known ebay sellers with a good feedback score
be prepared to be able to repair the loco
if you can't fix it yourself, don't think your repairer will do it for nothing or the same amount Marklin will fix it for.
Don't try to fix it yourself if you know you're not able to do so
Ask the panel of experts for advise.
Don't ever think because it is cheap you've scored a bargain every time.

It is cheap to climb Mt. Everest but it is hard to get your life back, so don't try to be a hero.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline kimballthurlow  
#11 Posted : 17 March 2011 10:28:18(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post

buyers buy, in their mind a cheap loco on ebay, can't fix it themselves and it appears, they don't want to spend too much money to repair it otherwise their cheap deal wasn't so cheap after all.
Some buyers have a mental attitude by not being able to admit, they've scored a bad deal and we as repairers have to make up for their shortfall.

And there are cases when train enthusiasts try to repair locos themselves and don't realize the time and effort and experience you need, to take on such a job and you can finish up paying twice the amount the loco was originally worth and you no where near a finished repair work.

if you can't fix it yourself, don't think your repairer will do it for nothing or the same amount Marklin will fix it for.

John

Hi John
You are so right.

I take the view that if it is worth fixing, allow the experts to do it!

I also believe by showing Marklin the colour of my money (although imposing a limit of 150 Euros) they understood that I was not going to complain about some worthwhile expenditure.
If you give any repairer a hint of being annoyed or unwilling to pay a fair sum, they may put it in the "too hard" basket.

If they had informed me that it was going to cost 200 Euros, I would have promptly replied they could keep it, and I would happily donate the loco to them for use as spare parts or whatever. It was my fault for starters in buying it off eBay.

I am sorry I am unable to answer more fully, other member's question regarding why I sent it to Marklin. My reasons are as above.

regards
Kimball
Offline kimballthurlow  
#12 Posted : 17 March 2011 10:33:37(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: ac jacko Go to Quoted Post
That is good news and what was postage rates 18 euro ?

Hi Dale,

15 Euros was all they charged me.

regards
Kimball
Offline kimballthurlow  
#13 Posted : 17 March 2011 10:43:08(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

Hi Kimbal,

Like Brian, I too was curious what the problem was, and also wondered why you didn't see if it was something simple you could have fixed yourself? - this is NOT criticism of you in any way, it's just that model railroaders tend to become pretty self-sufficient, often by necessity and there were probably some simple things that could have been ruled out that you may have been able to do yourself.

......Cheers from your southerly neighbour

Cookee

Hi Steve,
The sudden stopping of the loco after "n" minutes operation, was very random, and therefore the reason was not obvious. Overheating?
Sending direct to Marklin was for me, a matter of time and circumstance.

regards
Kimball

Offline TimR  
#14 Posted : 18 March 2011 01:35:50(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Hi Kimball,
congrats that you're happy with Marklin's service and with your newly repaired lok.
Nice change from the many horror stories that we've heard from Marklin's service.

From a repairer point of view it is sometimes, your client doesn't appreciate the work you carry out beyond the agreed terms.
In some cases, Marklin is god, the client is god and the repairer has to cop the rest of it.

John,
Thanks for your (repairer's) point of view.

And for your good advice also in regards on second hand locos.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline cookee_nz  
#15 Posted : 18 March 2011 02:45:34(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Cookee,

I think Kimball made the right decision although you have some valid points.

For Euro 50 you don't get much for repairing a loco.

(SNIP)

So all in all.

Advise when buying second hand locos:

It is cheap to climb Mt. Everest but it is hard to get your life back, so don't try to be a hero.

John

Hi John, good response and well explained for the others.

I'm with you, and being in the repair game also (I.T., PC's, Laptops, Printers) the scenario's you described are not confined to model trains either.

Not long before I left NZ I repaired some loco's for a Gent where the value of the repair was borderline. There were 2 x 3000's, 1 x 3080 DHG and 1 x TM800. The TM800 was an absolute delight to work on, and I just loved getting that beast running smoothly - it was worthy of the attention. I did not recover all my time on that, but it was a labour of love. Particularly a repair to the old reversing unit which I wanted to keep as original as possible whilst also stretching the boundaries of the legendary "Kiwi Ingenuity". In the end the required repair was very simple, but I needed to consider all options first and that took some time. I might post a separate thread about that so as not to clutter this post.

One of the 3000's just needed simple maintenance, but needed ALL the 'consumables' replaced (tyres, pickup, brushes and lamps) - but even those soon mount up. It's a well-known formula that "The sum of the parts is greater than the whole". At the final repair cost it was close to what you 'might' pick one up for on Ebay/Trademe, but there were two big differences. We already knew the state of this Loco, mechanically it was sound and worth repair. Secondly, he had owned it for many years and whilst perhaps not quite sentimental, it was still part of his collection.

The 3080 only had a broken field coil wire and again, needed consumables, but I quite like those little DHG's, they are colourful and generally run well and still get respectable prices at auction so in my opinion was worth it.

The other 3000 was completely a basket-case. Very very worn, loose sloppy gears, the brass chassis bushings that the wheel axles run through were worn and replacing those is a job I have not yet tackled so I'd want some experience at my own risk before attempting it on someone else's.

But the owner was very happy, he was realistic about the worn 3000, largely offset by having his beloved TM800 and the other two back in his running schedule.

Interestingly, just this week I've had a different experience from the customer perspective. I took my Mitsi Lancer Wagon into Midas to get the Muffler replaced. What a fiasco. They made a real dogs-breakfast of the job, so much so that I had to go to an Exhaust specialist for a second opinion. They were gob-smacked at the shoddy job that had been done using wrong parts, and at how much I was charged (Midas $261 repair vs specialist repairer $65).

The Midas General Manager (if Franchise operations have such a thing) received my email of complaint overnight and I am awaiting their response. Being in the repair game perhaps I'm more critical than the average punter, but I'm also realistic - things go wrong, but if you're open and honest about it, anything can be resolved without taking shortcuts that end up making a simple task much worse.

Shortcut = "the longest distance between two points"

On balance, it does sound like Kimball made the right decision for his circumstances.

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline jvuye  
#16 Posted : 18 March 2011 08:50:54(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Having also been in the Märklin repair business for more years than I care to remember, I can only agree with Steve.
Time + consumables often amount quickly to more than 50€, so I think the Goeppingen trip for Kimball's loco was worth it.
I haven't seen yet a Märklin loco that couldn't be repaired...but it's all a matter of what the customer is ready to pay for it.
My specialty has been the repair of pre-1960 M locos, for which spares are often no longer available.
So repairing and revalidating "old" parts is the only alternative, this means complete dissasembly, some parts machining and complete re-assembly.
It implies also owning a lathe, wheel press and quartering device and a flurry of small tool, plus a milling machine and cutters if you want also to manufacture obsolete gears.
The (in)famous "drivers loose/ wheel slipping/out of quarter" on steam/ rod driven locos is a very frequent occurence.
I have fixed dozens upon dozens of these "basket cases": to do it right takes minimum 1 hour per axle...e.g. at least 5 hours for a TT 800.
For a complex loco like a CCS800/ 3015 one can easily spend the whole day.
You can extrapolate from there when zinkpest starts complicating the matters.
So, in short: 50 € for a factory "tune up"?
Money well spent!
Cheers
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline engines1  
#17 Posted : 18 March 2011 13:38:34(UTC)
engines1

This discussion is very interesting to me (An individual new to Marklin Products) because I typically try to repair the item before I send it to a repair facility. Before I begin work on the item I have done a lot of research to understand as much as I can about how the manufacturer designed the item to operate.

I have been very fortunate in my endeavors and have been able to repair most train hardware.

All that being said I have a Marklin #5706 engine which after a random time of operation lets out a noise and comes to a stop.

Kimball commented about this problem:

Hi Steve,
The sudden stopping of the loco after "n" minutes operation, was very random, and therefore the reason was not obvious. Overheating?
Sending direct to Marklin was for me, a matter of time and circumstance.

regards
Kimball

Can anyone provide me some direction in correcting this problem.

Thanks

Paul
Offline jvuye  
#18 Posted : 18 March 2011 14:06:17(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: engines1 Go to Quoted Post
All that being said I have a Marklin #5706 engine which after a random time of operation lets out a noise and comes to a stop.
Can anyone provide me some direction in correcting this problem.

Thanks

Paul

I would love to help...but it is hard to say anything without at least witnessing and "hearing" what the "problem" is!Confused
Is there a chance you could post a video with sound... (You know: a bit like when the MD listens to your heartbeat...) BigGrin

Cheers