Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline aos  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2011 18:19:00(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Since I have converted over to Digital, I find that I suffer from one very annoying problem. The lighting pickup shoe on my coaches invariably short circuits whenever the coach passes over the points. Not all of my coaches do it, which would indicate that it is an adjustment problem. The offending coaches don't always do it repeatedly. It seems to be a random occurrence, but when it happens, everything grinds to a halt for a second or so and then everything starts up again.

I have tried raising the pickup shoe, but this results in an inadequate contact with the centre studs, resulting in flickering of the lights. I have watched the coach move at slow speed over the points. When the pickup shoe reaches the "highest" of the contact studs on the points, the back part of the pickup shoe lifts up and touches the rear wheel axle, causing the temporary short. From what I can see, Marklin have made the insulation board a little bit too short.

I have tried adjusting the pickup shoes, but there must be such a fine line between it working and not working that I must admit defeat. This problem just did not really matter too much when running under analogue mode.

I hope that I have explained my problem adequately enough. Has anyone else experienced this behaviour and if so, have you been able to come up with a solution?

Thanks in advance, Alan

Offline DaleSchultz  
#2 Posted : 05 March 2011 18:33:04(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
what about placing some insulation tape on the end of the pickup shoe, so that when it touches the axle it does not make contact...
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2011 18:34:32(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Alan,

the first thing that came to mind would be to replace the affected wheelset with one that is insulated on both sides. This would prevent the short and would still allow the remaining wheelsets to function as ground return.

You do not mention whether you are using M, K or C Track. I presume that you are referring to more modern 4 axle coaches with pop in slider and ground contacts. The older models had a screw mounted slider that could be adjusted and had no added ground return contacts.
For the latest coaches and lighting kits, there are several sliders with differently positioned pin. It is important to use the right one for problem free operation.

For the oldest coaches (24cm and shorter - 1972 and earlier), I use the old generation Hag clip on slider which seems to work better than the original Maerklin slider with one support.

Regards

Mike C
Offline David Dewar  
#4 Posted : 05 March 2011 19:31:57(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
There are various pick up shoes for different coaches so make sure you are using the right one.
Why not take the power from the loco and run it through the train using current conducting couplers.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline aos  
#5 Posted : 05 March 2011 19:38:16(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
I am using both M and C track. The problem occurs on both. My rolling stock is circa 1978 - 1984, with a screw mounted slider. Adjustment is basically by alignment as such. The coaches are as new, having been a "cupboard" layout for 30 years. Replacing all the wheel sets would be somewhat of a drastic measure. Alan
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 05 March 2011 20:12:30(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Alan,

I've done in the past what Dale suggested, a small piece of insulating tape stuck on the top of the slider so that it doesn't make contact with the wheel axle.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline aos  
#7 Posted : 05 March 2011 22:02:16(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Dale & Ray, It looks like a bit of insulating tape then ;-) thanks, Alan
Offline jvuye  
#8 Posted : 05 March 2011 22:03:33(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
True!
I have noticed that too.Angry Cursing
I have a somewhat radical (but 100 % effective!)solution: I take the offending axle off the coach/car, pop one of the wheels using my wheel puller, push 13 mm of 3mm diam. shrink tubing on the axle, push the wheel back on with the wheel press, adjusting spacing to exactly 13.8mm.
One minute under my lovely wife's hair blower-dryer (Thank you Honey!) to shrink the thing, and it will never be a problem again...BigGrin
Voilà.
Now the $64.00 question: Why doesn't Märklin deliver these "insulated" axles?Confused
Cheers

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline Harvey  
#9 Posted : 05 March 2011 23:20:04(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
I had this problem with my Reingold set (41928). There were two problems. When slider went over a turnout it would sometimes hit something and short. Also, when it hit a high spike (3rd rail) the slider (curved part) would hit the axle. This occurred when I had another slider installed (so as to have two sliders pick up current - I have current conducting couplers). The dealer initially installed a symmetrical coupler (73405). However, the M installed coupler was 73406. Once this was changed, all problems gone. I assume the geometry of the symmetrical coupler is not appropriate for two axle passenger cars (but this it is too simplistic to say all - but it is something I am keeping in mind for when I buy lighting for passenger cars).

Harvey
Offline REUBEN  
#10 Posted : 30 April 2011 20:36:02(UTC)
REUBEN

Hi Allan,how far did you get with this problem.i have the same experience running a mix of m and c track in digital.i have one thunderbox baggage car with a tail lamp and interior lamp that does this with the shoe hitting and getting stuck on c track studs from time to time.it does not do this on m track turnouts though.i have even bent the studs in a bit it, helps but sometimes gets stuck again

regards
Reuben
Offline aos  
#11 Posted : 01 May 2011 10:50:59(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Hi Reuben,

I ended up attaching a small piece of insulating tape, not to the pickup shoe, but to the axle itself. It seems to work ok. I suspect that over a period of time, the tape may come undone, but I can live with that until I come up with a better idea. Alan
Offline BR01097  
#12 Posted : 01 May 2011 17:13:14(UTC)
BR01097

United States   
Originally Posted by: aos Go to Quoted Post
Since I have converted over to Digital, I find that I suffer from one very annoying problem. The lighting pickup shoe on my coaches invariably short circuits whenever the coach passes over the points. Not all of my coaches do it, which would indicate that it is an adjustment problem. The offending coaches don't always do it repeatedly. It seems to be a random occurrence, but when it happens, everything grinds to a halt for a second or so and then everything starts up again.

I have tried raising the pickup shoe, but this results in an inadequate contact with the centre studs, resulting in flickering of the lights. I have watched the coach move at slow speed over the points. When the pickup shoe reaches the "highest" of the contact studs on the points, the back part of the pickup shoe lifts up and touches the rear wheel axle, causing the temporary short. From what I can see, Marklin have made the insulation board a little bit too short.

I have tried adjusting the pickup shoes, but there must be such a fine line between it working and not working that I must admit defeat. This problem just did not really matter too much when running under analogue mode.

I hope that I have explained my problem adequately enough. Has anyone else experienced this behaviour and if so, have you been able to come up with a solution?

Thanks in advance, Alan

This problem often happens with pick-up shoe #7074 mounted onto the chassis of the 6-axle rebuild Umbau cars. This solution has always worked: plumber's tape wrapped around the axle of contact.

Collector of Märklin fine-quality trains since 1966.