Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline vimo  
#1 Posted : 25 January 2011 19:14:02(UTC)
vimo

About 10 years ago, I went into a train shop while on vacation in Germany and saw a beautiful 3337 (SBB gree Ae 6/6 heavy metal) sitting in their display, so I rushed to buy it.
Since I decided to move to digital, I got the unit updated to digital by Märklin themselves using the same specs as a 3737.
It hardly ran because it took me a few years to get a new house with enough space to finally set up my trains again.
It ran just fine for a little while, then I decided to hook up 6 SBB cars to it (one has a pick-up shoe for lighting).
I find that it is having great difficulty going up modest ramps, very clearly slowing down a lot.
It accelerates quite nicely when going downhill, though, due to Newton's little discovery called gravity.

So, I wonder if the motor is giving up or if it needs a bit of oil or if my CS1 is just not happy to give it the power it needs now that I also have 5 other trains running off the CS1 (no booster).
Anyone have ideas on this or hints ?
Offline dntower85  
#2 Posted : 25 January 2011 19:24:24(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Originally Posted by: vimo Go to Quoted Post
About 10 years ago, I went into a train shop while on vacation in Germany and saw a beautiful 3337 (SBB gree Ae 6/6 heavy metal) sitting in their display, so I rushed to buy it.
Since I decided to move to digital, I got the unit updated to digital by Märklin themselves using the same specs as a 3737.
It hardly ran because it took me a few years to get a new house with enough space to finally set up my trains again.
It ran just fine for a little while, then I decided to hook up 6 SBB cars to it (one has a pick-up shoe for lighting).
I find that it is having great difficulty going up modest ramps, very clearly slowing down a lot.
It accelerates quite nicely when going downhill, though, due to Newton's little discovery called gravity.

So, I wonder if the motor is giving up or if it needs a bit of oil or if my CS1 is just not happy to give it the power it needs now that I also have 5 other trains running off the CS1 (no booster).
Anyone have ideas on this or hints ?

Sounds like the oil dried up. Don't run it till you oil it or you will cook the motor.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 25 January 2011 20:04:12(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It is possible that the lok needs to be oiled. Visually, you should be able to open the lok and see the small white piece of material between the two brushes. If this is dry, this would be an indication of whether the lok requires oiling. Another way to check would be to look at the gears on the underside of the motor body.

You stated that the lok ran fine and then only had problems when connected to 6 cars. Have you tried it on it's own without the cars again. If there is no problem when running solo, but the lok has problems when hooked up to cars, it may be more than just a lubrication issue. When Maerklin converted, the lok, did they install a decoder with acceleration/deceleration settings. These settings can also affect the operation on inclines/declines.

You stated that there are 5 other trains. If they are all on the layout (and active) at the same time, there may be not enough power to drive the Ae 6/6 on an incline. Try removing one or two of the loks or leaving them in a shut off section (signal or insulated) and see if the Ae 6/6 works better now.

Regards

Mike C
Offline arconell  
#4 Posted : 25 January 2011 22:48:14(UTC)
arconell

Hi Vimo,

You said the 3337 loco was upgraded into its digital counterpart 3737 by Märklin (Danckaert?). If that is the case it now has a 5-pole anchor, replacing the 3-pole one and a permanent magnet instead of the field coil plus a 6090x type decoder with built-in load compensation.

However what you describe is typical behaviour for a loco running without load compensation. Now I assume you are running it digitally. In that case either the decoder is not functioning properly (somewhat unlikely for these older Märklin decoders) or... a decoder is fitted without load compensation, like a Tams LD-W-32 in which case the the engine was untouched or else a (non-Märklin) decoder with programmable/switchable load compensation was mounted with the load compensation switched off.

Either way, take the body off and check. Now, if you were running analogue(??), it is normal behaviour for a digital loco with HLA engine and 6090x decoder. If it has adjustment screws, one of which is for max speed adjustment, you can set in for a higher top speed giving more power at the top end of the scale, in both digital and analogue mode.

After a long standstill a drop of oil certainly won´t hurt but be careful not to drench it in oil. A drop flowing from on a small sewing needle is all it needs.

Regards, Robert

Ps: running 5 trains at once off a CS1 is indeed pushing it but that also depends on the transformer powering the CS1. Try to run it without other trains on the tracks.