Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline justin182  
#1 Posted : 19 October 2004 08:18:46(UTC)
justin182

United States   
I was wondering if anyone has ever used memory wire?

http://users.skynet.be/pro-rail/ukcafam0.htm

This says you can use it to control turnouts and signals with just a small current. Ever used it or even heard anything about it?
Offline john black  
#2 Posted : 19 October 2004 13:36:58(UTC)
john black

United States   
Hi Justin Smile:
Many thanks for posting - very interesting site! Never heard about before but that "slow motion" sounds great. The only bias I'd have are those working temperatures of 80 degrees C and above - some parts of the layout may become quite hot [xx(]

Best Regards
John

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline tayloma  
#3 Posted : 19 October 2004 14:31:49(UTC)
tayloma

South Africa   
Hi

A good article on memory wire on this site:

http://www.floodland.nl/trein
Regards

Mark
Offline xxup  
#4 Posted : 19 October 2004 15:40:52(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Nice idea, but it is too slow for me as our layout is too small.. Must look great on a really large layout..

My guess is that a lot of current is needed to heat the wire AND the wire would have some room temperature sensitivity eg shorter in winter than summer? Could this mean a lot of fiddling?? It may not be a big issue in colder climates where it seems houses are heated during winter, but where I live the indoor temperature can vary between 40C and 5C (You guys in the USA will have to do your own conversions - sorry))..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline nico van zon  
#5 Posted : 19 October 2004 16:56:33(UTC)
nico van zon

Look here: http://www.pegaseinfo.com/enindex.php for a ready made actuator with memory wire.
Offline rugauger  
#6 Posted : 20 October 2004 03:37:19(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Just to add to the info already given: memory wire or motors are your only choice if you use prototypical turnouts where the rails are one piece and "bend" when the direction is changed (instead of the "moving clickety thing" on Marklin turnouts...) My personal choice would be either to go fully prototypical ("bendy" rails that are also moved slowly) or just leave things as they are...
Richard
Offline franciscohg  
#7 Posted : 20 October 2004 05:01:40(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
MMMMMMHHHHHHHHH
very very interesting site, and it is a really cheap material, Richard, perhaps for turnouts you're right, but for signals..............i think it can be a very nice add-on..........another source of expenses in the horizon........biggrin[:0]
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline justin182  
#8 Posted : 21 October 2004 01:09:38(UTC)
justin182

United States   
I was thinking about these memory wires some more today. I really wonder about using them for turnouts. Using the memory wire instead of the M* solenoid, you have a "default" position. This is the position of the turnout when no current is applied to the memory wire.

Is this a good thing? I think it would be for signals, but I'm still undecided on turnouts. Its hard to pass the memory wires up for aesthetic reasons but I don't know if I want a turnout to be in one position when it is without power.

I'll probably stick with solenoids for hidden turnouts, and maybe I'll give these things a try in other, more visible areas. I can always switch back, right?!
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 21 October 2004 01:44:08(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
If you do things carefully.....yes
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline nico van zon  
#10 Posted : 21 October 2004 01:55:03(UTC)
nico van zon

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by justin182
<br />......Using the memory wire instead of the M* solenoid, you have a "default" position. This is the position of the turnout when no current is applied to the memory wire.....

You could bypass this problem by using 2 memory wires and some kind of toggling mechanism. Actuate one wire, and it will toggle the mechanism to the left position, actuate the other wire and it wil move to the right. After the toggling has been completed you can let the wire cool down (actually, you will have to before actuating the other one)
Not a complete design, just an idea that came to my mind.