Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline schwinnbob  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2010 02:42:25(UTC)
schwinnbob

Hi everyone!

Sorry for the total newbie question, I searched but did not find the info. My father in law wants me to sell his large late 60's collection and I would like to test the loco's. I have no idea how to hook up the transformer. Have both 6153 and 6502 transformers. Want to just set up a 4 feet or so piece to test them. Thanks for any and all help.
Offline Charlie  
#2 Posted : 12 September 2010 04:21:43(UTC)
Charlie

Hi Bob,

Welcome. The transformers may have two brown, and a yellow and a red output (place to plug in a wire).

Hook the center portion of the track up to the red output, and the outside rails (both outside rails are connected electrically) to one of the two browns.

Since it is your father in law, offer him a buck Sneaky for every locomotive that refuses to run (only test them for a few seconds, to not burn up the motor if they do not run). Buy them anyways. A good cleaning of the gears may most likely bring them to live ThumpUp .

Charlie
Offline schwinnbob  
#3 Posted : 12 September 2010 05:49:57(UTC)
schwinnbob

Thanks Charlie!

Now an even dumber newb question. The transformer has a red, yellow and brown terminal so got that but where do the wires attach to the track??? I don't see anyplace for them to attach.

Thanks for putting up with my newness.

Bob
Offline rhobson1968  
#4 Posted : 12 September 2010 06:33:11(UTC)
rhobson1968

I assume you have Metal track. Underneth you can attach the red wire to the center rail and the brown to the outerrail. Send me your email address and I will send you a picture. Also, what do you have forsale? Send me a note to rhobson@charter.net. I might be able to buy it from you without even testing it.
Never quit building.
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 12 September 2010 13:44:45(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi schwinnbob,

Welcome to the forum.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Webmaster  
#6 Posted : 12 September 2010 21:55:43(UTC)
Webmaster

If you look through the supply of tracks, I suppose you will find a couple of tracks with red & brown wires soldered to them. Also known as feeder tracks.

To hook up a simple oval for testing locos, use one feeder track which you connect to red & brown on the transformer and then build an oval with other tracks.

Put a loco on the track and turn the knob on the transformer. The loco should then move...

Just a warning, testing the locos on the track may be addictive and you may get hooked into the hobby... Wink

The closest you get to a support group is this forum, since we are all addicts to this thing...LOL
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline schwinnbob  
#7 Posted : 12 September 2010 22:27:43(UTC)
schwinnbob

Hi Web!

Thanks for the info. You were right there was a power supply track and I was able to test them! They all ran so that is a good thing. They are pretty cool!! Thanks again!

Bob
Offline Webmaster  
#8 Posted : 12 September 2010 23:26:31(UTC)
Webmaster

"Pretty cool" sounds like you are positive to the trains... Glad it works for you... Now just remember the "warning"...Wink
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]