Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline RayF  
#1 Posted : 20 July 2010 13:55:44(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I want to get myself one of these older Br 01's to complement my tinplate coaches and other early Marklin models.

As far as I can tell, apart from the running numbers the two models are identical. As I can get a P3193 in better condition and for a cheaper price than a 3048, can anyone enlighten me on why I shouldn't?

Any thoughts welcome.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Armando  
#2 Posted : 20 July 2010 21:12:34(UTC)
Armando

United States   
The Primex model is identical with the former 3048, except for the road number. However, I don't think that it comes with a smoke unit, but you can install a 7226 in it afterwards.

Best regards,
Armando García

Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 20 July 2010 21:21:45(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Armando wrote:
The Primex model is identical with the former 3048, except for the road number. However, I don't think that it comes with a smoke unit, but you can install a 7226 in it afterwards.

That's what I thought. I'm looking at one 3193 on ebay that's actually been fitted with a smoke unit, so that makes it even more attractive.
Ray
Offline Brakepad  
#4 Posted : 20 July 2010 23:59:06(UTC)
Brakepad

France, Metropolitan   
RayPayas wrote:
I want to get myself one of these older Br 01's to complement my tinplate coaches and other early Marklin models.

As far as I can tell, apart from the running numbers the two models are identical. As I can get a P3193 in better condition and for a cheaper price than a 3048, can anyone enlighten me on why I shouldn't?

Any thoughts welcome.

Hi Ray,

If you don't mind about which kind of BR01 you should get, then choosing one instead of another does not make any difference.

However, as far as I know, the Primex model sold was similar to the "latest" 3048 edition (DB logo among some other differences), if you'd like an early version, you should look for a pre-seventies 3048.

3048's used to be quite cheap, in some cases the Primex model, if in perfect condition can reach also high prices, as it was somewhat more "exclusive" because of its different road number.

In any case, you'll love this locomotive. It's a Märklin icon and I think has contributed significantly to the Märklin reputation.
check out http://maerklin-back-on-track.blogspot.com if you like to see how old Märklin locos are brought back into life! (in spanish by the moment)
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 21 July 2010 00:30:43(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Brakepad wrote:
RayPayas wrote:

Any thoughts welcome.

Hi Ray,

If you don't mind about which kind of BR01 you should get, then choosing one instead of another does not make any difference.

However, as far as I know, the Primex model sold was similar to the "latest" 3048 edition (DB logo among some other differences), if you'd like an early version, you should look for a pre-seventies 3048.

3048's used to be quite cheap, in some cases the Primex model, if in perfect condition can reach also high prices, as it was somewhat more "exclusive" because of its different road number.

In any case, you'll love this locomotive. It's a Märklin icon and I think has contributed significantly to the Märklin reputation.

Thanks, Brakepad.

I'd forgotten about the DB cookie on the Primex model. I am really torn between these two versions. The 3048 is the Marklin classic, but the 3193 is a slightly better model, as they've tried to make the markings more prototypical. Both would go well with the tin-plate coaches, and both have cheaper, tattier examples available, as well as more expensive mint items.

I need to think a bit more! BigGrin
Ray
Offline ac jacko  
#6 Posted : 21 July 2010 12:48:06(UTC)
ac jacko

3048 Ray ThumpUp BigGrin