Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Chris6382chris  
#1 Posted : 20 July 2010 08:54:32(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
I just received 8 different ROCO wagons today in the mail. As you can imagine I was very happy and ready to start running them around my layout. Unfortunately to my dismay I started having derailment problems almost immediately on my switches and in R1 turnsCursing. This was a new experience for me, I haven't had something like this happen since I started running trains on my new layout about six months ago, which consists of all new c-track, all Marklin cars and engines.

After being a bit discouraged I started wondering if wheel sets needed to be changed so I started comparing flange depth, and the gauge of the wheels. And nothing really stood out, I had enough play when the wheels where on the c track that changing the gauge a bit in or out wouldn't have an impact. Then I looked closer and noticed that the frogs in the switches were off just a bit with the rails leading to the frogs that when the wheels would roll past that point they would hit the rail and roll up and out of the track. This was true also for the the tighter radius curves, the end of the rail was just slightly out of alignment and so when the cars would role through a tight turn it would hit the rail and bounce out of the c track (we are talking very slightly, such a small difference I had to run a finger nail over some of the rails to really feel the difference.

So I went around the entire layout looking at my rail alignment in the curves and looking at the frog and rail alignment in the switches and made sure everything was perfectly lined up. Once that was done, the problem was solved and everything has been running great. ThumpUp

I am wondering if others have had this same experience and why is it that Marklin cars and engines had no problem with the c track with the slight alignment issues and the ROCO cars did. It isn't a quality issue with the ROCO cars I don't think as they seem to be very nicely built.

I would be curious to hear what others think and if anyone has had similar experiences.

Chris

Offline sjlauritsen  
#2 Posted : 20 July 2010 09:23:20(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Chris6382chris wrote:
I am wondering if others have had this same experience and why is it that Marklin cars and engines had no problem with the c track with the slight alignment issues and the ROCO cars did. It isn't a quality issue with the ROCO cars I don't think as they seem to be very nicely built.

The distance between the wheels on the axle is where you would want to look. Märklin uses a slighty different distance than everybody else. I am pretty sure that is causing your problem. The little difference in distance causes no problem for the Märklin cars on a Märklin track, but it might cause problems for other cars on a Märklin track.

My TRIX C-track is sometimes out of alignment. It does not cause derailments, but it causes "clicks" when the wheels hit the track. I usually just bend the track in place with a tool.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline nevw  
#3 Posted : 20 July 2010 10:54:02(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
The Distance Between Inside the Wheel Flanges should be 14mm no wider.

Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline kimballthurlow  
#4 Posted : 20 July 2010 14:01:25(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi
I try to replace all Roco, Fleischmann wheels with Marklin.
I don't then have a problem, and it preserves the circuit closing featue of the current conducting axles.
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Chris6382chris  
#5 Posted : 20 July 2010 18:01:11(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Thanks all for the comments. I noticed once I had posted that indeed I could buy replacement wheel sets. I am going to the Eurowest this weekend and perhaps I can pick up some sets there pretty easily. Otherwise it will be back to the internet. All of my local shops (within two hour drive) are hit and miss on the Marklin stock.

Is there an item number for the wheel sets? And does anyone know what the cost is usually? A couple dollars perhaps?

In any event as it stands now, after a couple full operating sessions all is still well so I think my problem is fixed, but I will for the sake of consistency and the point regarding closing the circuit eventually replace them all with the Marklin wheel sets.

Thanks for the feedback.

Chris
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 20 July 2010 20:28:33(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Each Roco car, coach and locomotive comes with an instructions sheet which lists some key parts, including AC slider and AC wheelsets (where applicable). This information is also listed for each item in the yearly Roco catalog. For some items, the information is provided for the whole page if all items have the same part requirements. Most European dealers will offer AC wheelsets upon request when ordering. This is more rare for North American dealers, possibly as they are less likely to find use for the DC wheelsets retained.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Armando  
#7 Posted : 20 July 2010 21:10:00(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Chris,

My experience is the following:

Are your Roco coaches 303mm in length (H0)? These coaches will not run at all! on R1 curves and least of all negotiate an "S" curve (in connection with turnouts). R2 curves are borderline, as long as there are no "S".

Otherwise, Roco coaches, with their original wheels, will run well on C-track. Shorter length Roco coaches will run very well even on R1.

Best regards,
Armando García

Offline kimballthurlow  
#8 Posted : 21 July 2010 00:51:32(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Chris,
If you cannot get Marklin wheelsets (many dealers may just exchange them for the DC wheel sets), try the Fleischmann 6560 packet of 10. I use them a lot, and haven't had any trouble so far. I have tried Brawa and Roco AC wheelsets, but frankly found the Fleischmann the best for noise free running and compatibility with Marklin track.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Chris6382chris  
#9 Posted : 21 July 2010 02:51:00(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
All thanks for the suggestions and information. I have smaller wagons on my layout and as of this afternoon I have had no more problems. But I will be seeking out the wheel sets this weekend at the train show south of San Francisco just to make sure I continue to have flawless operation.

Thanks again everyone.

Chris

Offline Turbo T Terry  
#10 Posted : 04 August 2010 01:50:20(UTC)
Turbo T Terry

Chris,

The NEM standards for DC wheels, as on the Roco cars, differs from the Marklin standard (or the NEM AC standard) in both gauge and wheel profile. You can find the standards here: http://www.miba.de/morop/index.htm; the key standards for you are 310, 311, and 340. (Sorry, the references are in German but the diagrams are pretty clear.)

Anyway, the simplest route to take is to replace your wheelsets, as several people have already noted. You can also regauge the Roco wheelsets with good results. Regauging is especially helpful if you can't find a replacement AC wheelset with the correct axle length. The tread width on the NEM wheels is slightly narrower than on Maerklin wheels, but that hasn't been a problem in my experience. I use a North West Short Line Puller and a set of calipers. Just make sure that the wheels are still perpindicular to the axles after you regauge them.

Good luck!

Terry
Offline hxmiesa  
#11 Posted : 05 August 2010 10:48:45(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
I would go for 13.9mm, rather than the mentioned 14.0mm.
I regauge the wheels without any special tool; One just needs a hammer and two pieces of wood with a small hole for the tip of the axle. (This is enough when all you need to do is make the spacing narrower, not wider)
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline Renato  
#12 Posted : 05 August 2010 12:50:36(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
hxmiesa wrote:
I would go for 13.9mm, rather than the mentioned 14.0mm.
I regauge the wheels without any special tool; One just needs a hammer and two pieces of wood with a small hole for the tip of the axle. (This is enough when all you need to do is make the spacing narrower, not wider)

Hi Henrik,

I suggest you to use, instead of the hammer (it is difficult in my opinion to give the exact force in order to reach the exact distance of 13.9 mm), a "quick release engineers vice" (tornillo de banco).
Of course you will use the two pieces of wood too.
Doing so you can easily adjust the distance between the wheels and measure it by means of the caliper.

Bye

Renato
Offline Peter Neumann  
#13 Posted : 15 August 2010 01:52:34(UTC)
Peter Neumann

United States   
Hallo from Indiana,

There is actually a fairly easy solution to the problem of ROCO cars derailing on Märklin switches due to different wheel flange sizes on ROCO than Märklin. For example, I run Märklin HO digital on K-track, but the vast majority of my rolling stock, both freight and passenger, is from ROCO.

I too once had the problem of ROCO cars derailing on K-track switches. But no more. (Now, I have never used C-track, but I hope that this remedy can also be applied to solve the problem with ROCO cars derailed on it's switches.)

The simnple solution was glueing a .020 thick, 2.6 mm wide plastic shim, from Evergreen (or Plastruct) to the wheel guide on the switch to make the space between it and the rail smaller. This very simple step ended my frustration permanently.

I have taken pictures of this but I do not know how to add a picture to this post (but would gladly do so once I learn how).

Peter Neumann

Offline river6109  
#14 Posted : 19 August 2010 12:28:02(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
I run 1:87 coaches and don't seem to have the trouble you have.
Instead of altering the wheels, unless they are DC wheels, you don't have to change them.
One think I would mention is, the couplings you use.
Try to run the loco at slow speed and see what occurs.
If they don't derail, increase the speed.
See if any obstacles are in the pass of the carriage(s).
See if the bogy moves freely from side to side.
Sometimes coaches have an electrical fitting at the side end of the coach which could also hinder the bogy to expand fully.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Chris6382chris  
#15 Posted : 29 August 2010 18:30:19(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Thanks again for all of the suggestions. Since taking care to fine tune my c track as I mentioned above I haven't had any additional problems. I also purchased some AC wheel sets at Eurowest which I installed on the cars just to make sure I no longer had any problems. So all is well now on my layout.

Chris
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 30 August 2010 05:55:29(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
A while ago, I had some Roco rwo axle freight cars (SBB Hbix) which had wheelsets which could pivot a little. I don't know if this was the cause of the problem, but those cars always seemed to derail. I replaced them with Maerklin's model of the same coach and have not had a problem since. I have carefully checked Roco cars to make sure that they do not have a similar design and have had no problems since.

Regards

Mike C