Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ranjit  
#1 Posted : 15 August 2004 15:06:00(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi All,

I have finally started thinking seriously about converting my steam and diessel locos to Digital! I have the following Marklin loks:

1. 3 nos. of the very old 3000;
2. 1 no. of 3003;
3. 1 no. of 3141, and
4. 1 no. of 3375

Now, which of the decoders should I use? Which ones have been tried and tested and which ones would be ideally suited for the above locos. Is the conversion easy to do by someone as inexperienced as me? Are Marklin decoders the only ones to use or are there cheaper, but good alternatives out there?

I am looking forward to hearing from all of you.

best regards,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline Noel Loganathan  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2004 03:47:44(UTC)
Noel Loganathan

Ranjit

Try this site http://home.arcor.de/dr....nig/digital/ehomepag.htm

This has been helpful

Cheers from a windy Brissy

Noel
Noel
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#3 Posted : 16 August 2004 17:38:24(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
ESU LokPilot is a good alternative for converting old locos, with lower price than standard Märklin decoders and programmable from 6021 Central Unit. You will need to replace the field magnet as well (included in the Märklin kits).

If you want to keep the motor without changes (i e if you want to be able to go back to original) there are at least 2 options: 1) Delta decoder 2) Uhlenbrock decoders for AC motor. In these cases you only have to remove the relay and put the decoder in its place. Delta decoders can be switched to address "0" for analog operation. Other decoders have similar possibilities or detect automatically if you are driving analog or digital.

I have tried to make one conversion of an old Märklin loco with Uhlenbrock decoder, but the result was a "dead loco", so I'm planning to get the original upgrade kit from Märklin...
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline jorge_vilarrubi  
#4 Posted : 17 August 2004 00:16:20(UTC)
jorge_vilarrubi

I've installed dozens of Uhlenbrock decoders and had no trouble.
I think the "dead loco" could be a problem either with its installation or its programming.
Regards,
Jorge Vilarrubí
Buenos Aires
ARGENTINA
Offline rschaffr  
#5 Posted : 17 August 2004 00:21:22(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I have installed several Uhlenbrock 75200's. In the LFCM's the operation is pretty good, but I am less satsified with the driving characteristics of this decoder with the SFCM's such as the 3000.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
Offline jorge_vilarrubi  
#6 Posted : 17 August 2004 04:08:58(UTC)
jorge_vilarrubi

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by rschaffr
<br />I have installed several Uhlenbrock 75200's. In the LFCM's the operation is pretty good, but I am less satsified with the driving characteristics of this decoder with the SFCM's such as the 3000.

Agreed. In addition, 75200 with 3-pole DCMs is worse than with SFCMs, but with the 5-pole DCMs, those used in 35nn locos, work very, very well.
Regards,
Jorge Vilarrubí
Buenos Aires
ARGENTINA
Offline rschaffr  
#7 Posted : 17 August 2004 04:47:25(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Thanks, Jorge. I hadn't tried it in a 3-pole DCM, and now I won't.
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/CS3/6021Connect/60216051), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
Offline franciscohg  
#8 Posted : 17 August 2004 06:01:17(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Another option if you want to keep untouched your AC motors and suitable for 3000 and 3003 (i've installed in both) is the Profilok PD-101, runs also in analog with no problems and fit perfectly in both locos, it is also very cheap.
For bigger locos perhaps it is better in order to get good results to use a standard decoder and install Hamo magnets in the motor to use it with DC from the decoder
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 17 August 2004 06:09:22(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Here there some on sale for US$30 in Australia, might be a shorter trip to Malasya
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/e...1557&item=5913530088
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline Ranjit  
#10 Posted : 19 August 2004 16:41:06(UTC)
Ranjit

Hi Karl, Ron, Noel and Jorge,

Thank you so much for all your helpful tips on converting conventional loks to digital.

Thank you Francisco for the ebay link and info on the Profilok decorders.

Btw, is it better (performance, running characteristics, etc.) to fit a conventional loco to digital and go through all the hassles of purchasing the decorders, installing them, etc. or is it better to simply get rid of your old loco and get a new one with no hassles which is factory fitted? I am just curious.

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline rschaffr  
#11 Posted : 19 August 2004 17:49:21(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
Ranjit:

I have converted over a dozen loks, using real Marklin, Lenz and Uhlenbrock. If you are reasonably handy with a soldering iron, the conversion is fairly easy and straightforward. The first one (in my case my good old faithful E103) took me a whole evening because I was doublechecking and rechecking myself at every step. after that, they went fairly quickly. And yes, the improved performabce, even in analog, is worth it (no more reversing relays and their springs and adjustments!)
-Ron
Offline McLae  
#12 Posted : 19 August 2004 20:06:44(UTC)
McLae

I have just finished converting a 3022 using a motor update (Magnet, Rotor, shield, brushes, etc) and installing a DCC socket from Uhlenbrock. This lets me test with a Lokpilot and upgrade later to a Loksound. (or other DCC plug decoder)

I only used half the parts that come in a 60904 kit, so I can get two conversions (with a couple of extra parts) from each kit.biggrin

The only bad thing I found with the sockets is that the function wire (F1) is not connected. You will need to add this if you want Telex or smoke.[:p]
The McLae
IB digital, DB, OBB, SBB epII-V
Providing a home for little lost 'Gators
Offline franciscohg  
#13 Posted : 21 August 2004 20:50:56(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Ranjit:
It is a big, big pleasure to get one of these old locos and take it to the XXIth century and beat the challenge with no problems
Offline Hans_Dietrich  
#14 Posted : 22 August 2004 22:55:06(UTC)
Hans_Dietrich

I just obtained four analog Marklins (3030, 3022, 3070, 3181) and one Fleischmann locos (this one from a friend). I currently converted our layout back to analog, only to be able to runs those locos. But I am very much looking forward to convert them to digital. Yes, it is much easier to just get new digital locos (often with more functions, features). But as mentioned above, it is of great fun to get those trusty engines into the 21st century.

Hans
Hans ... Epoch I to V, M-track, IB with MS
Offline jorge_vilarrubi  
#15 Posted : 23 August 2004 05:35:33(UTC)
jorge_vilarrubi

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hans_Dietrich
<br />I just obtained four analog Marklins (3030, 3022, 3070, 3181) and one Fleischmann locos (this one from a friend). I currently converted our layout back to analog, only to be able to runs those locos. But I am very much looking forward to convert them to digital. Yes, it is much easier to just get new digital locos (often with more functions, features). But as mentioned above, it is of great fun to get those trusty engines into the 21st century.

Hans

Hi Hans, take care with Fleischmann Loks. Old ones have one of the brushes fixed to the metallic plate and can't be isolated from chassis. Newer ones have a printed circuit on the plate and one of the brushes is connected to chassis thru a path that must be cut.
Regards.
Jorge Vilarrubí
Buenos Aires
ARGENTINA
Offline john black  
#16 Posted : 23 August 2004 11:33:57(UTC)
john black

United States   
Gentlemen, as I love my old analog beauties so much (analog system also has its advantages, and not so few [:p]) and wanted the new digital world, too - I've found the perfect solution (at least for me): First floor of my small layout stayed strictly anolog, second floor is fully digital - so I've got best of both worlds ... Smile

Best Regards
John

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide