Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline walters48  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2010 07:40:25(UTC)
walters48

United States   
I won four Marklin M Track #7191 Lighted Stop Blocks in their like new original blue boxes on eBay. So I removed all the Blocks from their #7191 blue M* boxes to check them out and all were in great condition. Imagine my surprise when I found that every damn Block had #5129 in black print on its bottom. I figured I got scammed. Marklin would never make this kind of mistake! The seller must have switched them on me.
So I emailed the seller and explained the situation. Since he had a "No Returns Policy", I indicated that I had no other alternative but to open a claim w/ Ebay/PayPal and leave him negative feedback (he has 100% pos feedback). The seller then sent me 2 emails: #1 says that he checked all his #7191 Stop Blocks and they all have #5129 on the bottom, therefore "a[n]M- track item with the number does not exist". #2 says that he checked w/ his "Marklin buddies and learned that "Marklin uses the 2 3/4 inch #5129 make-up tracks for all their M Track Stop blocks. I have to say that this sounds feasible...
So my question is: did Marklin put #5129 Stop Blocks in #7191 boxes?
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2010 09:05:39(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
You weren't scammed, mine are the same.. 5129 is a short track. about 2.75" long... 7191 is a bump stop with a lamp that is made by Marklin using the 5129 as the basis..

There is a link that shows pictures of all the M-track.. I can't find it at the moment, but I am fairly sure that Steventrain knows how to find the link..

Cheers

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline aos  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2010 10:54:50(UTC)
aos

Scotland   
Again, I can confirm that you were not duped. I have just looked at my stop blocks. All of them have 5129 stamped on the base. I bought mine from reputable Marklin dealers new in the 70's and 80's. With that ascertained, I trust that you got them for a reasonable price. Alan.
Offline Darren W  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2010 18:46:05(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
I can add a third confirmation. I had some of those blocks that I sold and they were stamped different on the bottom. I imagine Marklin did this to simplify manufacturing just grab some track modify it and call it something else. Too much hassle to make a special batch with different markings. I do understand you questioning it though as it would seem like a scam over ebay.

Cheers...
Darren
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#5 Posted : 02 April 2010 22:32:11(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
walters48 wrote:
I won four Marklin M Track #7191 Lighted Stop Blocks in their like new original blue boxes on eBay. So I removed all the Blocks from their #7191 blue M* boxes to check them out and all were in great condition. Imagine my surprise when I found that every damn Block had #5129 in black print on its bottom. I figured I got scammed. Marklin would never make this kind of mistake! The seller must have switched them on me.
So I emailed the seller and explained the situation. Since he had a "No Returns Policy", I indicated that I had no other alternative but to open a claim w/ Ebay/PayPal and leave him negative feedback (he has 100% pos feedback). The seller then sent me 2 emails: #1 says that he checked all his #7191 Stop Blocks and they all have #5129 on the bottom, therefore "a[n]M- track item with the number does not exist". #2 says that he checked w/ his "Marklin buddies and learned that "Marklin uses the 2 3/4 inch #5129 make-up tracks for all their M Track Stop blocks. I have to say that this sounds feasible...
So my question is: did Marklin put #5129 Stop Blocks in #7191 boxes?

Yep,all my bumper tracks have 5129 stamped, bought in the 1970's; Joe
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 03 April 2010 00:59:01(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
xxup wrote:
but I am fairly sure that Steventrain knows how to find the link..

Yeah, it's one of my pictures, and is also on Steve Cook's website, but it only shows the various versions of M track over the years, and not the variations in track pieces.

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 03 April 2010 01:01:17(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Here it is....

UserPostedImage

Edited by moderator 11 January 2011 12:47:13(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 03 April 2010 01:59:14(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks for that one David, but it is not the one I mean.. From memory it was scanned pages from an older catalogue..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Philip  
#9 Posted : 03 April 2010 11:59:34(UTC)
Philip

Hello All.

Since Märklin made m-rails, the basis was made of lithographed metal plates, therefore it makes sense to use the same lithography as they used to base the 70mm long straight rail 5129,as the base for track stoppers 7190 as the length of the base was the same. And all things considered, I suppose it is nice to be able to identify a piece of straight track by number, while track stopper probably identify it self by design.

I attach a few pictures of different types.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
under side of 7190

UserPostedImage
under side of 462
Philip.

Let's keep it simple.
MFDWPL
Offline Kodiak  
#10 Posted : 03 April 2010 12:32:37(UTC)
Kodiak

I recently noticed the same thing with my uncoupler tracks, the piece of M track itself has printed on it 5107, while the frame that holds the solenoid and everything else has 5112. It's a simple cost cutting technique.
John and his M track, the only way to train. Now with added C track and bonus K track.
If your gona be a bear, be a grizzly!
You have the right to bear arms, the right to arm bears, what ever the hell you wanna do!