Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Larry  
#1 Posted : 04 March 2010 01:36:22(UTC)
Larry

United States   
The answer to this is probably obvious to many of you but what cars would go best with the latest Marklin 39560 (green crock)?

Obviously, the life of this crock splans a significantly long period, going back to 1931.

My question is to show this crock in its "heyday" (when most popular and used the most) what Marklin cars would be most prototypical? I assume they would be freight but I'm not sure of that either.

Thanks much!
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 04 March 2010 04:16:00(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Larry,

first of all, the lok is referred to as a Krok. Crock is the stuff that we sometimes see in the forum.
The Ce 6/8 (later) Be 6/8 was as you mentioned, primarily used for freight traffic on the Gotthard route.
Back in the days, most freight trains were composed of mixed cars and did not consist of unit trains, with a few notable exceptions. You can combine any German, Swiss, Dutch, Belgian and Italian cars to make up a freight train, as trains from all over northern Europe would arrive in Basel (Muttenz), where they would be sorted accorded to destination and would then be hauled south through the Gotthard to Chiasso, where they would be marshalled and then carried further by FS Loks.
I mentioned unit trains. One of the ones that I saw in Switzerland as a child was the Weiacher Kies Train, which was composed of brown hopper cars. Coincidentally, Maerklin just happens to have released a set of three of these cars.
Other unit trains would have been car carriers, Interfrigo cooler cars or tank cars.
Because of the wide assortment of international cars that you can combine into one Gotthard freight train and the exciting variety of colours, you can pretty much feel free to mix and match.
One thing that I did not like is the fact that Maerklin SBB freight sets always include only SBB cars and that people aren't informed of the options available to them.

My Krok is from the 26730 Set. I use most of the cars along with some FS and DB box cars to complete the consist.
I will try to post a photo for you.

Regards

Mike C
Offline rbw993  
#3 Posted : 04 March 2010 18:35:52(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Mike,
Would you agree that most of the freight cars in use during the Krok's heyday were of the 2 axle variety of era III and early IV?

Regards,
Roger
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 04 March 2010 19:41:09(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Roger,

most of the freight cars in European traffic during the period 1920-1965 were 2 axled. There were some car types that employed bogies (4 axles), but these were much less common than they are today. The nice thing (for modellers) about the classic 2 axled cars is that they were relatively short in length, meaning that a train would consist of more cars than a similar consist made up of the more modern cars with bogies.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Deborail  
#5 Posted : 06 March 2010 09:19:27(UTC)
Deborail

United Arab Emirates   
I have also gotten myself a 'krokodil' lately and I ordered a few era II wagons to go with it. like Mike said, any of the surrounding countries' wagons would be suitable, as a varied traffic used the route.

here I have my krokodil hauling tanks with chemical....(although they are Era V tanks)

UserPostedImage

here are the cars that I bought to go with it. I particularly like the brown box cars and I plan to get some more of those....These cars are almost always present in WW2 movies....RollEyes

I also have ordered some beer wagons that are on the way to me as we speak....

UserPostedImage

George

Given enough time, tasks manage themselves.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Deborail
Offline Larry  
#6 Posted : 06 March 2010 23:05:03(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Mike, Roger and George:

Thanks much for your great advice on Kroks. It is greatly appeciated.

Larry
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 15 March 2010 05:14:47(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Larry,

I finally located the number of a FS freight car set that would look very good behind a Krik:

47878. This Set contains 3 assorted FS cars that could frequently be found on the Gotthard route during Eras III and IV.

Regards

Mike C
Offline MarioFabro  
#8 Posted : 15 March 2010 16:08:47(UTC)
MarioFabro

United States   
Larry,

I got these sets for my Kroks:

Marklin 4786

UserPostedImage

Marklin 48803

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImageUserPostedImageUserPostedImageEra IV-VI --- "If you have brains you love trains" or "When I grow up, I will play with trains"
Offline Larry  
#9 Posted : 16 March 2010 05:23:01(UTC)
Larry

United States   
Mike and Mario - Thanks so much!

Larry