Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mancsaint  
#1 Posted : 13 October 2009 01:24:31(UTC)
mancsaint

Marklin Starter Kit 29160
I bought an old Marklin 3000 analog steam engine at a flea market in Basel and had a local train shop convert it to digital. They inserted an AnDi 75 000 decoder by Uhlenbrock but did not warn me that the motor might also need to be updated to a more efficient type.
The loco runs perfectly well by itself but when run at the same time as the original loco both run OK for a while before grinding to a halt. The transformer needs to be switched off and on only for the same to happen again. I have now been told that the more efficient motor needs to be installed to solve the problem.
I actually spent too much (£60 Swiss price) doing what I've done so am looking for a cheap alternative as much more money would be totally OTT.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated?

Mancsaint
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 13 October 2009 01:35:25(UTC)
H0

Hi, Sean,

maybe they didn't tell you that you'll need a different decoder when updating the motor.
The loco will draw less current with an upgraded motor, that's correct.

The small controller from the 29160 has an output current of 1 A only.

If you upgrade to a Mobile Station (pay attention to get one with 1.9 A, not 1.2 A) and a new transformer (at least 32 VA) the problem should be solved. This should allow three or four trains to run at the same time.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mancsaint  
#3 Posted : 13 October 2009 02:01:46(UTC)
mancsaint

Thanks for the info, now to wait till I go back there in February for Fasnacht festival. In meantime will keep my eye on EBay.

Much appreciated and fingers crossed.

Sean aka Mancsaint