Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Roberto Romano  
#1 Posted : 10 October 2009 02:53:12(UTC)
Roberto Romano

Hi everyone!!

I have a technical question on the ICE 3371 that some of you might have already experienced.
About 6 months ago I purchased in ebay the Marklin 3371 ICE TRAIN which came with the two powered head units (410 002-0 and 410
001-2) and not cars in between. The train is not digital and I tested it in my analog layout.
However, the train moves in one direction only. The head with the 410 001-2 inscription is the one that goes in the forward direction. I am not sure which one of the heads is powering the motion. Applying the high reversing voltage pulse to the tracks does not reverse the train at all. Other than that, the rail car runs perfectly.

Has anybody run into this problem of not being able to reverse direction? There is a PC board in each head, one has more e-components than the other. Which PC Board or which head controls the forward and which controls the reverse direction?

Regards, Roberto.
Regards, Roberto
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 10 October 2009 09:31:10(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Roberto,
Have a look at your connection between the 2 locos and also for any loose or broken wire.
When you take the housing off, you will find one power unit, will have a PSB with more electronic parts on it.
Make sure you have 2 pick up shoes, as the direction of travel will depend on them.
If you ever intend to digitalize them, there is a PCB you can exchange.

regards.,
John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Roberto Romano  
#3 Posted : 10 October 2009 17:48:31(UTC)
Roberto Romano

Thank you John for the reply.
The coupling connection between the two heads is brand new, I have replaced both sides of the couplers and the two pick up current shoes are in place. I wonder if this is a common problem in these units. I just saw in ebay a similar ICE set for sale that described it as in good working condition but did not reverse. I can say that this type of coupling in these units is not one of the best M* designs.
Regards, Roberto.
Regards, Roberto
Offline river6109  
#4 Posted : 10 October 2009 20:59:06(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Are you staying analog with the ICE ?
If you do, I think I've got the PCB for both powerunits.
regards.,
John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Roberto Romano  
#5 Posted : 10 October 2009 22:07:07(UTC)
Roberto Romano

John, yes I will stay analog with the ICE since it is incomplete anyway. I did some bench testing to understand what powers what. When I connect the AC to the pick up shoe of the 410 001-2 head, the motor in each unit runs in tandem, that is, at the same time, in the forward direction. Connecting the AC to the pick up shoe of the 410 002-0 head nothing happens. So it seems that the head that moves is the one that collects the power. Probably the electronic reversing circuit is dead. I think that the 410 002-0 head has the PCB with the most e-components. I have no idea where the reversing circuit resides and what is the function of the simpler PCB in the 410 001-2 head. The beam lights work fine: white in the front and red in the back. You said that you have both PCBs, I assume they were left over after a digital upgrade. My thinking is that it is not worth to spend more in these units since the train is incomplete and at least it runs one way. Let me know how much are them anyway. My email address is: romanor@yahoo.com

Thank you and regards, Roberto

Edited by user 11 October 2009 01:41:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards, Roberto