Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline eduard71  
#1 Posted : 20 August 2009 00:27:21(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
I have been thinking about the durability of the new Marklin locomotives with their decoder components sound speaker electronic boards and sds motors. How how long can they last?
I am 38 years old and I still have my father's 3000,3003,3005,3011,3021,3015,3048,3047,3046 all from the 60'. They are analog and they run like they were new. My son is 4 years old and loves to see these trains, same as I loved them when my father showed them to me 34 years ago, they are sturdy and almost indestructible in good hands.
I also have a lot of new stuff, yes they are beautifull and also I love all the high tecnology inside them, but will my son be able to show them in a working condition to my future grandsons?

Regards
Eduardo
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 20 August 2009 00:41:48(UTC)
H0

How long will the supply of spare parts last?

Many different types of motors and consequently different brushes: this could turn out to be the main problem.
Many new locos don't support changing brushed, so you will need a replacement motor when the brushes are worn. How long will these motors be available?

New decoders should be available for a long time.
I can live without sound if that should fail.

Semiconductors can last pretty long - if they don't get to hot during operation. I hope decoders last as long as HiFi sets.

The new stuff normally fails within the warranty period.
Märklin users who play with their trains shouldn't have problems. If you store them away in boxes you may encounter the defect when it's too late.

This wouldn't happen if they'd give their locos a 72 hour burn-in test (as some computer manufacturers do).
They leave QA as an exercise for the dealer or the customer ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TimR  
#3 Posted : 20 August 2009 01:27:07(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Well, with all new or modern items...

theoretically there are more things to go wrong with newer things simply because there are more components that are put into them. And there is a risk of course that some of this components may fail beyond their warranty period. But should that be a reason to avoid them?

To answer your question - I guess nobody really knows how the new things will stand the test of time. In the short to medium term at least - I don't think you should be worried.

Just to name a few;
MFX (it's got its issues) has been around since 2004 - a small percentage do fail, but most are still running ok. I think the latest batches made since 2008 are fairly more robust than earlier generations - and the basic ones are quite cheap.

With brushless can motors - since this has a wide ranging applications in other toy range and household applications - I don't think we should worry about the supply as well.

Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline davemr  
#4 Posted : 20 August 2009 01:38:11(UTC)
davemr

Tom Some very good points. Other than spare parts how long will Marklin itself last?
I think by spreading purchases over different manufacturers we should be able to keep three rail stuff going. HAG look like they will last a long time as inside they are pretty simple (only Swiss though and one or two is probably enough)
Brawa seem fairly reliable and older Marklin lasts forever.
Only time will tell with newer Marklin locos and by avoiding the ones highlighted in the forum and going for the ones that get the good reviews then I am hopeful my locos will be running for many years to come.
davemr
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 20 August 2009 01:42:16(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I don't mind so much if things break, so long as they are easy to fix, parts can be obtained, and every thing is back to normal quickly.
Offline sudibarba  
#6 Posted : 20 August 2009 05:06:02(UTC)
sudibarba

United States   
I brought this question up a while back on the forum and was dismissed as not an issue. I think replacement new motors are expensive as opposed to the old ones that cheap parts can fix. I was told the new ones would last forever.
Now the trade off is improved performance vs. a motor anyone can fix.
Of course, Marklin will decide what it sells for new items. I think someone will always make parts for the old ones, certainly in any of our lifetimes.
Eric
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 20 August 2009 05:59:42(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
This is certainly an interesting thread. Current production technology may enable companies like Maerklin to build more detailed product, but as has already been stated, this technology and details may not last as long as the older models.

Most of my newer models are from the post-1995 period, and include the Ae 6/6, Re 4/4II and Re 460. All of my Re 4/4IIs are now digital, as our most of my Ae 6/6 and the majority of my Re 460s. The oldest of these models is now about 18 years old (3638). I have not had any problems with this lok to date. The Re 4/4IIs and Re 460s are a little younger, all less than a decade old.

I wonder how the plastic will fare over time. Looking at the oldest plastic coaches from the early 1980s, they seem to be doing well. I have not noticed any problems with parts becoming brittle over time.

The modern boxes with the plastic windows (cars and coaches) and those with the plastic liner inserts are more of a concern. I was able to replace the liner for one of my Re 4/4IIs and one of my Ae 6/6s, as the hinged part had broken in both cases. I have one used box that I use for the Re 460 from the 29859 Set that I would like to replace with a newer one. As well, I am still looking for a replacement case for the Re 4/4II from that set.

Maerklin is not currently selling replacement boxes. This seems to be partially the case because people had been creating "proto" 37343 loks by taking the Trix model (22744) and swapping shells with Re 4/4IIs from the 29858 Set. Some sellers actually ordered the cartons from Maerklin for 24 Euro and saw their resale price go from say 200EUR to over 400EUR on eBay. Not a bad turnaround on an extra investment of 24 Euro. What it did do is confuse the market as you now have to make sure that your 37343 is actually a genuine one and not a reconstituted one. I wonder if Maerklin can match serial numbers to confirm whether a lok began as a 37343 or as a 29859 (sometimes referred to as a 37341.1)

When I compare the condition of my 1980s stock to my 1960s stock in the 1980s, I think that Maerklin products still have a good durability quotient. Whether recent productions will hold up as well as older ones, I can't say for sure, but I will be prepared to give you more information in another 10-15 years.

My biggest fear is whether the transformers, digital controllers will last. I have one 6021 where some of the buttons need multiple pressings to register. I hope that the newer transformers don't develop dead spots and that they will last as long as some of the older ones. I remember my Dad converting a few 220V ones to 120V and replacing the AC wires and plugs in the 1970s. I think that when the new transformers go, they will simply need to be replaced.

I also do not think that C-Track will have the longevity of M Track. This has to be one of my beefs with Maerklin, the fact that they could not bring themselves to release a R3, R4 and maybe R5 in M before they abandoned the line. I have M Track from the 50s. I somehow don't think that the current C-Track will still be usable in 2070. Then again, I probably won't be around to notice and my grandkids will be playing with Maerklin hover trains that won't need track anymore.biggrin

Regards

Mike C
Offline Oscar  
#8 Posted : 20 August 2009 11:19:12(UTC)
Oscar

<font face="Verdana]I like to compare it to real trains. This year, in 2009, the last of the 1200 series locomotives will be retired after 50 years (!) of service. I used to be quite active within a group of people who are dedicated to restoring these old beasts (not just the 1200 series but also the 1100 and 1300 series) and from a technical perspective, their longevity is directly related to their simplicity. They're 100% analogue, 100% mechanical. Newer trains never seem to get beyond 30 of service, which mostly seems to be due to their digital nature. Digital technology gets obsolete very, very fast and before you know it, components will not be able to work together due to protocol changes etc. By nature, digital technology is also fragile whereas the old technology of the 1200 series is near indestructible.

I have problems with the DCM motors Märklin makes today, not with the SFCM, LFCM and DCM motors they made in the past (all of which run very well indeed). As many people pointed out, they can be easily maintained and repaired. Something breaks down, you replace only the broken part (such as a worn brush). If a decoder breaks down, you need to replace it as a whole. If a sealed can motor breaks and a similar one is no longer made, you'll have to improvise. I can't predict if it will be a problem to maintain the new Märklin models properly, but I do think they will need more (and perhaps somewhat more complex and/or more expensive) maintenance than the old ones.

The same applies to digital controls. What use is a Märklin 6021 control unit if the protocols it supports are abandoned? I wonder what use a Central Station will be 15 yrs down the line, which is why I will not buy one. I feel a bit hesitant about investing 600 euros (which is a BIG chunk of money for me) in a device that might be irrelevant or unusable a decade down the line. My Mobile Station cost me 40 euros - that is low enough to justify the risk.
</font id="Verdana]
Offline Renato  
#9 Posted : 20 August 2009 11:49:54(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mike c
<br />
I also do not think that C-Track will have the longevity of M Track. This has to be one of my beefs with Maerklin, the fact that they could not bring themselves to release a R3, R4 and maybe R5 in M before they abandoned the line. I have M Track from the 50s. I somehow don't think that the current C-Track will still be usable in 2070. Then again, I probably won't be around to notice and my grandkids will be playing with Maerklin hover trains that won't need track anymore.biggrin

Regards

Mike C

Hi,

in our MRR club we have a test circuit with C tracks fixed with screws on a wooden board.
The C tracks have been produced in January 1999 (as one can see on the bottom of the track).
When I had to rearrange the track layout, after having unscrewed the fixing screws, while separating the tracks according to M* instrucions, most of the plastic tabs went broken (crack, crack was the horrible sound). Only the plastic tabs which mechanically get the tracks linked together broke (no issues with the plastic tabs with electrical connections).
What to say: the only reason of that could be the fact that the layout has been stored in a room under the roof, i.e. hot in summer and cold (no room heating) during winter.
This is my bad experience with C tracks and now I am very worried about disconnecting the C tracks at my home layout.

Bye

Renato
Offline Oscar  
#10 Posted : 20 August 2009 12:36:46(UTC)
Oscar

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Renato
<br />This is my bad experience with C tracks and now I am very worried about disconnecting the C tracks at my home layout.

<font face="Verdana][size=2]I've heard similar reports over the years. It seems that the earliest batches of C track weren't all that sturdy. Personally, I use C track frequently to make carpet lay-outs and most of my C track pieces have been connected and disconnected many, many times. So far, nothing has broken. Most of my C track pieces were made between '05 and '08. Given that C is quite expensive, it should be durable. So far, mine is.</font id="Verdana]
Offline Steve Pople  
#11 Posted : 20 August 2009 13:52:46(UTC)
Steve Pople

This trend for disposability happens with all mechanical items. We only have to look at cars. When I was a teenager all you needed was an adjustable wrench and a screwdriver and you could fix any problem with a car. Now you need a computer just to tell you what's wrong with the car, and a million dollar workshop just to change the sparkplug. OK some I'm exaggerating just a little but you get my drift. It's the same with M* 50 years ago you bought a loco and "expected" it to last 100 years. If you dropped it you knew it would bounce. Now you buy a loco and "hope" you can get it out of the box without it breaking. We live in a disposable society where new is best. Durable items mean last years model. That's life. you don't have to like it, but it's life.
Offline rugauger  
#12 Posted : 20 August 2009 14:08:39(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Good point well made, Steve.

Whether you take cars, bicycles, household appliances or whatever else - most things are NOT made to last these days. Because if they were to last, the manufacturer would sell fewer new items.

Now I'm not saying that new Marklin items are deliberately made less solid. But the increased level of detailing and electronic sophistication demanded by many modellers inevitably leads to the products being more prone to breaking or developing faults. Let's face it, who would be a V200 today with the detailing and simple reversing relay of a 3021?
Richard
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 20 August 2009 14:21:53(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
On the other hand, is it not reasonable to expect that when paying out hundreds of dollars/euros for model locomotives that they are reliable, don't break, and if looked after last for years. Or am I expecting too much?

I do get sick and tired of manufacturers treating consumers like cash cows. We see it in every industry not just MRR - whiteware, consumer electronics, computers, automobiles, nothing is made to last. If I look around our house I can probably find about 8 mobile phones for 4 people (4 in use, the others are old models). And I'm not sure whether we are any better for it, the landfills are full of discarded electronics, which must create some sort of environmental hazard.
Offline tekin65  
#14 Posted : 20 August 2009 18:16:59(UTC)
tekin65

Turkey   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
<br />On the other hand, is it not reasonable to expect that when paying out hundreds of dollars/euros for model locomotives that they are reliable, don't break, and if looked after last for years. Or am I expecting too much?

Probably you are David [xx(]

Electronics have limited lives, this is the Achille's heel of modern brushless motors.

Cem.
3 rail: C-track with CS2 2 rail: Trix C-track with Trix MS - K.Bay., DRG, DR, DB, SBB, TCDD

Now all eras but no ICE

My loco inventory for the interested
Offline dntower85  
#15 Posted : 20 August 2009 18:26:02(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by tekin65
<br />

Electronics have limited lives, this is the Achille's heel of modern brushless motors.

Cem.

The computer on my desk has several brushless motors in the hard drives and fans. They run 24-7 for years with out problems. There is no reason that the brushless motors in maklin loks can't do the same.
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline davemr  
#16 Posted : 20 August 2009 18:55:30(UTC)
davemr

DT quite agree. and David you are not expecting too much for your cash. My oldest computer is now 12 years old and cost about the same as a Marklin loco or controller and it works perfectly.
Model rail is low tech and high profit margin which it has to be these days but should still be of good quality and long lasting. The fact that it does more or has some more detail makes no difference to the end quality.
I reckon my 3000 will last forever and I also have a BR 05 which is used a lot and is perfect in every way. It is just a matter of avoiding those models which are not as good as they should be ... same with motor cars or anything else.
davemr
Offline Bill Marklin  
#17 Posted : 20 August 2009 19:30:57(UTC)
Bill Marklin

Durability?
Limited lives?
What are you talking about?
Everybody want's everything for low prices.

Better look out that you don't get ill the next 5 years!

Greetings
Bill
K-Rail layout wth DC,
Delta Control and C-rail layout with Mobile Station
Offline RayF  
#18 Posted : 20 August 2009 21:09:57(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I agree with Bill.

Nowadays the majority are not interested in quality and durability. You buy the cheapest, keep it until it breaks, and then replace it.

Dave, you've had a computer for 12 years and it hasn't gone wrong once? ...Or have you actually upgraded the software many times, changed the chassis fan a couple of times, changed a blown PSU, replaced the hard drive, keyboard and mouse, like most of the rest of us?

I am known to make things last, but I have been through 3 computers in the last 10 years. Many of my friends have actually been through 5 or 6.

If we move away from computers, even the most durable consumer product is unlikely to last more than 15 years, and certainly not without having needed repair at some point.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline DA 800  
#19 Posted : 20 August 2009 22:19:53(UTC)
DA 800

Norway   
Why is this durability topic so challenging?
Or to say it in another way, would our interesting MMR hobby be so challenging if the design and the quality was constant and did not change?
I don't think I would have started up again with my childhoods Märklin trains if nothing technical was changed except new prototypes and paint.

OK, the old models have soul and I love them. But the real fun, at least for me, is to be able to upgrade 50 years old locos with new motors and decoders and be able to control them independently on the same track and see them creep uphill and downhill with constant speed! I am impressed! Can anyone tell me about another 50 year old design that continously can give new challenges and value?

The old trains are also reference for the new trains. Look at all the topics on this forum right now where new and old versions of the same prototypes are compared. What is the discussion about? Detailling, smooth driving, noise, pulling power etc. Of course the new versions have new features. New features creates new problems that we did not experience with the old versions. But isn't that exactly what makes this hobby so interesting? Testing out new features at an early stage of development? Telling each other about all the problems and mistakes?

Would this hobby be so fun if there was nothing for ourselves to improve?

I am not worried about the present or future Märklin quality,
I am much more worried if Märklin does not survive as a manufacturer!

- MRR keeps the child in you alive!
Offline davemr  
#20 Posted : 20 August 2009 22:38:09(UTC)
davemr

Hi Ray. My 12 year old computer was built for me by one of my city pals when I was working and was used at home. I have updated software but the hardware side just keeps on going.
I have another uptodate computer from a local shop which has had two repairs in the last three years. This one is faster and has more features but just not built to the same standard.
I have TV sets that also keep on going. I find I change things just to get newer features etc and not because they conk out. Buy quality and spend a bit more and it is well worthwhile.
When it comes to model rail we are dealing with toys which are mass produced as cheaply as possible and it is unlikely that the workforce will take the same pride that they did years ago.
My Marklin stuff is pretty good and I cant complain but if I start to get a lot of new locos that have faults then I will buy from another manufacturer.
My hobby is three rail and if it doesnt come from Marklin then I can live without it and buy Brawa or Roco. Marklin is however my first choice and so far I am happy with it and if it lasts for 10 - 15 years then thats OK.
davemr
Offline john black  
#21 Posted : 20 August 2009 23:30:52(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by DA 800
<br />New features create new problems that we did not experience with the old versions.
But isn't that exactly what makes this hobby so interesting? Testing out new features at
an early stage of development? Telling each other about all the problems and mistakes?

Would this hobby be so fun if there was nothing for ourselves to improve?

Excellent points, Bent - that is what makes a good forum !!! Agree 100% with you ... Smile[:p][^]Cool
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline kimballthurlow  
#22 Posted : 21 August 2009 04:06:53(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
A person gets married, no guarantees. How long will it last?
Will it be good or bad? Who knows.
Life sucks some times. I know you did not ask to be born, so you take your chances.

Buy Märklin because you like it, or are hooked. You take your chances. Enjoy the stuff. It has a good reputation, and it works better than most models I've bought. Enough for me.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#23 Posted : 21 August 2009 04:30:50(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Yeah good ponts all, but I will point out that Marklin toy trains are meant to be collectibles, therefore by definition they should last. Computers on the other hand are a commodity item. They have planned obsolescence built into them, they are engineered to be worthless after 6 months.
Offline RayF  
#24 Posted : 21 August 2009 12:08:24(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
You know, David, I don't think I agree with you on that. Marklin never meant their trains to be collectables. They meant for them to be played with.

The Marklin I fell in love with made 3000 tank engines and 3021 Diesels. They were meant to be played with and most examples have had this kind of existence. I'm sure that when they made the 1940's "collectables" that now fetch thousands of euros at auction they were also meant to be played with, and that's what people did.

In recent times the idea of collectable toys has really taken off, but the fact that Marklin concentrate on "operational" considerations, like getting round R1 curves, fun things like sound and light effects, etc, still shows that the trains are meant to be played with.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I just think that we should still think of them as toys - expensive toys, but still toys.
Ray
Offline john black  
#25 Posted : 21 August 2009 12:14:39(UTC)
john black

United States   
David and Ray, so sorry biggrin - but I'm deeply convinced BOTH of you are right ... Smile[:p]Cool[^]
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#26 Posted : 21 August 2009 13:00:13(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by RayPayas
<br />.... Marklin never meant their trains to be collectables. They meant for them to be played with......

Well yes Ray you are right, they are meant to be played with. But I would say you are a collector too! How many locos have you got? Sixty plus! You're a collector as well, even if you are not collecting as an investment. You're collecting because of the emotional involvement you have with them - you like to run them, build layouts, assemble correct consists, etc. But you are also entitled to expect that they will not break down after 5 minutes of use.

But given Marklin issue so many commemorative sets of various items, I think Marklin are catering for the collector as well. Heck, the Big Boy comes mounted on a rosewood plate, that shouts collector's item! I know someone who hasn't taken their 37990 of the plate yet, and he has had it for several years.

Like Ray I like to run my trains. The Big Boy was taken off its mounting plate as soon as I got it. But I do think that given the expense of these items, and given their 'collectability' (for whatever reason) I think it is reasonable to expect that the darn things don't crap out after 5 minutes of use.
Offline TimR  
#27 Posted : 21 August 2009 13:39:40(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Just to add;

I think having many loks - many many more than you actually need/able to run in your layout, is actually a good idea to prolong their life. Essentially, you are preserving the average mileage of each individual lok in your collection by running them in turns = less wear and tear mechanically.
Offline RayF  
#28 Posted: : 21 August 2009 13:54:21(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
As John says (sitting on the fence), we're both right to a certain extent.biggrin

David, you're right, I am a collector as well, but I can't afford to collect the collectables, if you see what I mean!

Tim, what you said makes a lot of sense. Each of my locos gets to run on my layout for about one week every 3 months or so, and even then only for a few minutes at a time. They'll probably run for ever at this rate.
Ray
Offline river6109  
#29 Posted : 21 August 2009 15:42:10(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Quote:
<br />As John says (sitting on the fence), we're both right to a certain extent.biggrin

David, you're right, I am a collector as well, but I can't afford to collect the collectables, if you see what I mean!

Tim, what you said makes a lot of sense. Each of my locos gets to run on my layout for about one week every 3 months or so, and even then only for a few minutes at a time. They'll probably run for ever at this rate.

Ray,
Seeing you've done quite a few conversions, it may be advisable to install ball bearings on both sides.
they cost very little and make a lot of different to the smooth running of your loco.
I'm also looking into the older locs, eg. 3026, 3027, 3014, 3011 if I can use the 4mm ballbearings on the other side aswell by using the standard 5 pole armature. For these locos I've mentioned above and others e.g. 3022, 3021, 3066, 3050 etc. some used the 7 and the others 8 tooth armature.
So I feel the 8 tooth armature supplied for the former 60901 conversion set could fit into these locos.
why mentioning it, instead of using a 6mm ballbearing and trilling a 6mm hole, it does'nt give you enough room to do this but a 4mm would.
the moment you've installed your ball bearing you don't have to oil them anymore.

regards., John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Oscar  
#30 Posted : 21 August 2009 16:26:25(UTC)
Oscar

<font face="Verdana]Some years ago a Dutch retail chain offered 29187 starter sets for 60 euros. The sets consisted of a 30321 loco with Delta decoder, some freight cars and a C-rail oval. When I finally made it to the store, all but one of the sets had been sold. The last one was the demo set. It had been laid out and the loco + train were whizzing around the oval at absolute top speed. I asked the guy in the store if I could buy the demo set. He said "Sure, but that thing has been running like that for 3 weeks straight, day and night, 24x7, including week-ends!" I bought it and examined the loco. New brushes, some lubrication, and a traction tyre change. Apart from that, it's basically new. I still have it, I still use it, it still drives great.

That's durability!
</font id="Verdana]
Offline gachar001  
#31 Posted : 21 August 2009 16:50:34(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by river6109
<br />
Quote:
<br />As John says (sitting on the fence), we're both right to a certain extent.biggrin

Ray,
Seeing you've done quite a few conversions, it may be advisable to install ball bearings on both sides.
they cost very little and make a lot of different to the smooth running of your loco.
I'm also looking into the older locs, eg. 3026, 3027, 3014, 3011 if I can use the 4mm ballbearings on the other side aswell by using the standard 5 pole armature. For these locos I've mentioned above and others e.g. 3022, 3021, 3066, 3050 etc. some used the 7 and the others 8 tooth armature.
So I feel the 8 tooth armature supplied for the former 60901 conversion set could fit into these locos.
why mentioning it, instead of using a 6mm ballbearing and trilling a 6mm hole, it does'nt give you enough room to do this but a 4mm would.
the moment you've installed your ball bearing you don't have to oil them anymore.

regards., John

Off topic.

John,
I purchased a bunch of ball bearings (4mm I think) after reading an earlier thread. If I remember correctly, it does not need any drilling.
I would like to know how to install them. Do they need to be glued in place? Also, does the motor shaft fit snugly against the inner wall of the bearing? If not, the motor shaft will rotate inside the inner wall of the bearing making the ball bearing pointless. Just looking for some advice. Thanks.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline RayF  
#32 Posted : 21 August 2009 16:51:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Oscar
<br /><font face="Verdana][size=2]Some years ago a Dutch retail chain offered 29187 starter sets for 60 euros. The sets consisted of a 30321 loco with Delta decoder, some freight cars and a C-rail oval. When I finally made it to the store, all but one of the sets had been sold. The last one was the demo set. It had been laid out and the loco + train were whizzing around the oval at absolute top speed. I asked the guy in the store if I could buy the demo set. He said "Sure, but that thing has been running like that for 3 weeks straight, day and night, 24x7, including week-ends!" I bought it and examined the loco. New brushes, some lubrication, and a traction tyre change. Apart from that, it's basically new. I still have it, I still use it, it still drives great.

That's durability!
</font id="Verdana]

That's a nicely run-in locomotive!biggrin
Ray
Offline river6109  
#33 Posted : 21 August 2009 17:28:15(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Off topic.

John,
I purchased a bunch of ball bearings (4mm I think) after reading an earlier thread. If I remember correctly, it does not need any drilling.
I would like to know how to install them. Do they need to be glued in place? Also, does the motor shaft fit snugly against the inner wall of the bearing? If not, the motor shaft will rotate inside the inner wall of the bearing making the ball bearing pointless. Just looking for some advice. Thanks.

The brushplate need a 4mm hole. drill it by hand slowly, so your hole doesn't exceed the 4mm range.
Put the ballbearing in front of the hole and press it in.
the later locos with a brushplate brushes are fed from the side you will find a plastic housing on the other side inserted into the frame.
Just push it out from the outside but when pushing, make sure you do not try to push it out from the point whereas a cogwheel is behind, push it out from the opposite side.
this hole is exactly 4mm.
Take a toothpick or any other pointy object and carefully smear some superglue around the hole. little, I mean little as possible. and press the bearing into it and so it matches flat with the frame surface.
If you spilled any superglue within the ball bearing, take it off with a toothpick.
Make sure the armature sits nicely in a horizontal and vertical position by rotating it after the superglue has almost dried.

regards.,
John
Offline gachar001  
#34 Posted : 21 August 2009 17:55:43(UTC)
gachar001

India   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by river6109
<br />Off topic.

John,

The brushplate need a 4mm hole. drill it by hand slowly, so your hole doesn't exceed the 4mm range.
Put the ballbearing in front of the hole and press it in.
the later locos with a brushplate brushes are fed from the side you will find a plastic housing on the other side inserted into the frame.
Just push it out from the outside but when pushing, make sure you do not try to push it out from the point whereas a cogwheel is behind, push it out from the opposite side.
this hole is exactly 4mm.
Take a toothpick or any other pointy object and carefully smear some superglue around the hole. little, I mean little as possible. and press the bearing into it and so it matches flat with the frame surface.
If you spilled any superglue within the ball bearing, take it off with a toothpick.
Make sure the armature sits nicely in a horizontal and vertical position by rotating it after the superglue has almost dried.

regards.,
John

Thanks. I will try it. All my locos are newer and I don't think they will require drilling.
Gautham
Atlanta, GA USA
Offline john black  
#35 Posted : 21 August 2009 20:35:59(UTC)
john black

United States   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
<br />I know someone who hasn't taken their 37990 of the plate yet,
and he has had it for several years.

Tell him he better leave it like this biggrinbiggrinbiggrin (that way he'll never hear her pipsqueek Mikado sound)
Only from #37991 onwards the BB got the sound she deserves. Realistic sound ... Cool[}:)]

Offline mjrallare  
#36 Posted : 21 August 2009 23:11:29(UTC)
mjrallare

When looking at these discussions I'm always surprised at how low expectations some people have on their Märklin-stuff. And then again, maybe my expectations are too high...

I personally think the durability of the Märklin trains have gone down during the last few years. In part that's due to more advanced electronics and more detail. You can't argue against that. But I also think it's due to quality (-assurance) problems. (Hmmm... I might have mentioned this before. biggrin)
And I do believe that Märklin intends to, and will, get past these problems sooner or later.

If this actually is the case, it wouldn't be so strange. Purchasers desperately hunting for lower costs often leads to quality issues if someone isn't around to check that what you buy meets the required standard.

I can't help sharing with you a story about the swedish (quality) maker of lawnmowers (yes, lawnmowers biggrin).
A couple of years ago a purchaser found that you could buy engines really cheap in China (were else...). So he bought thousands of them, got a fat bonus and was promoted. But no one seemed to care about the quality. At least no one made extensive tests of the engine. After all, it was CHEAP!
Now this company is left with a really hurt brand name and TONS of complaints. And guess what! It's very hard to get spareparts from the engine-manufacturer in China...

Maybe this story isn't directly transferable to Märklin, but at Stummis forum I've read that Mr Pluta has questioned many invoices from suppliers on ground that the delivered goods was faulty or not up to standard. So I think that there at least could be some similarities.

And are they toys or collectables? As we can see above they can of course be both, depending on the item and the person who buys them. And I guess we all somehow "play" with our trains. Smile
But that said, I think they very often are collectables or at least advanced toys. And, as I've said in some other posts, I do think Märklins way of promoting their stuff (shop-in-shop, wording in catalogues) implies that they themselves think their products (at least most of) are more than "merely" toys to play around with. I think they have gone towards more detail in the models to please those who collect rather than those who play.

But these are my thoughts, and as we see many thinks otherwise. It would have been interesting to see some kind of survey on what the "average Märklinist" expects from his/her products. Maybe such a survey is the first thing the new owners of Märklin should put their money in.

/Torbjörn
Offline davemr  
#37 Posted : 22 August 2009 01:22:56(UTC)
davemr

I agree with the above other than that more detail means less durability. They should just make sure the extra detail is well made. I am not sure that Marklin locos have advanced electronics but no matter what they again should be durable.
When it comes to collecting there are people who collect HAG locos when the only difference is the advertising on the side of the loco. Never did undersatnd that but it does show how diverse our hobby is.
davemr
Offline TimR  
#38 Posted : 22 August 2009 01:36:52(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by davemr
<br />I agree with the above other than that more detail means less durability. They should just make sure the extra detail is well made.

Generally I find that the overall durability of Marklin newer models are still ok in day-to-day rough and tumble. A number of my 'delicate' models had been involved in collisions and some got toppled over - but no damage, scratch, or missing pieces.

It's the seperate plastic pieces that are prone to breakage though. For example; the horns on all those TRAXX locos.
Offline davemr  
#39 Posted : 22 August 2009 01:52:22(UTC)
davemr

Yep the more metal the better. I like Roco but it does fall apart rather easily mainly because of plastic detail. Easier and cheaper to make small detail parts in plastic but I would rather pay more for metal.
davemr
Offline river6109  
#40 Posted : 22 August 2009 04:21:01(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
I have about 20 Roco Models and mine haven't fallen apart as you describe it.
I have metal Märklin models with plastic parts falling off (Steps hooked onto the bogy).
Yes there are plastic parts sometimes seperate themselves from the chassis, all you have to do is glue them on carefully.
I totally disagree with the above comment "does fall apart".
My concern with Märklin Locos is the lettering in the middle of the loco, after picking them up (natural picking them up with your fingers at the middle part) many times the lettering comes off, whereas with Roco Locos, I haven't had the problem.
I'm not sure whether Märklin treating their products anything else but toys.

they may give you the impression, and a very good one, when describing locos and other stuff.
If you are able to read between the lines, some of the suggestions, may not relate to the model itself but rather a clever way of using words to implement it is related to the model in your own mind.
Like advertising slogans. "no extra sugar".
mfx decoders with sound, as mentioned before a seperate board for the sound module.
Sofar Roco locos are concerend, I had 2 with loose cardanshafts couplings, 1 recently with a small particle in the cogwheel and the loco came to a sudden halt. (cause unknown)

One thing I'm more dissapointed with Roco locos is the plastic housing.
At night time, e.g. with "lights off", some locos have their lights on the PCB and than the light is transfered with light tubes to the front or the rear. the light bulb actually shines through the plastic.

What I hear on this panel regarding locos, mind you I haven't bought any for at least 5 years, I haven't experienced anything like this with my locos.
I was very dissapointed when they bought out the BR 96 without steamgenerator.
I was very dissapointed with the pulling power of the BR 53 and the sound module of a BR 18.
Besides that, I have no quarrel.
Has the company been dismantled of its quality control in these years ? most probably.
Has the company lost its aim to produce interesting models ? yes and no.
Would I buy MFX locos ? yes and no, I would remove the Märklin MFX and replace it with an ESU MFX.
Would I buy Märklin Locos with sound modules ? no

Offline davemr  
#41 Posted : 22 August 2009 14:24:47(UTC)
davemr

What I like about Roco is to open it up I prise the body apart and give it a shake and the chassis falls out. They do run smoothly but I dont want a steamer pushed around by its tender. Some of the diesels are very good and I like their coaches.
Both firms have gone bust at one time and which will survive long term (hopefully both) but my money is on Marklin.
davemr