Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MarklinFan  
#1 Posted : 20 June 2009 08:03:30(UTC)
MarklinFan

The most beautiful Marklin O Gauge ME 66/12920 4-8-2 Engine and Tender that I have seen is ending on eBay in less than two days.

Even if you are not an O Gauge person, this is worth seeing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/e...IT&item=350213113509

A hobby shop in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma closed in the 1960's. The owner kept all the stock in hopes that he could reopen the shop. He is now in his 90's, and his family is having another hobby shop auction off the contents. It is like opening a time capsule.

I was fortunate enough to win a few auctions out of this treasure trove. It will be interesting to see what this engine sells for.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 20 June 2009 11:42:40(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Interestingg model, thanks for sharing.
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline steventrain  
#3 Posted : 20 June 2009 13:18:52(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
It is very nice model, Expensive rare item.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2009 23:04:41(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Very nice piece, however, I am concerned that the back of the tender does not have the stampings from Marklin. There is a "Marklin" stamp, but underneath there is no other stamping on the lower tab or the bicycle symbol. I question if it was at one time repainted.

Regards,

Bill
Offline steventrain  
#5 Posted : 22 June 2009 23:19:46(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
It look a repaint red on steam wheels.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline WelshMatt  
#6 Posted : 23 June 2009 20:18:59(UTC)
WelshMatt

They could re-release that now and it'd sell. Look at the popularity of Lionel et al, and ACE Trains, Basset Lowke (now made by Corgi) and so on.
Matt from Wales.

When you pay Range Rover prices, don't accept Lada quality
Offline skeptic49  
#7 Posted : 24 June 2009 00:33:24(UTC)
skeptic49

I'm a serious tinplate trains collector but new to Maerklin. I was the successful bidder for this loco and tender. Once I receive it I'll be in a better position to closely examine and evaluate it. I know very little about pre and post war Maerklin 0 gauge production. Perhaps this set was manufactured after the war. I'd appreciate any further insights that anyone can offer.
Jim in Philadelphia

See my online magazine - Tinplate Times at http://www.tinplatetimes.com
Offline Hoffmann  
#8 Posted : 24 June 2009 01:16:18(UTC)
Hoffmann

Canada   
Hi all,

This Locomotive was listed in the 1930 Marklin Catalog and was available in either Black or Grey and seems to be all original.

Martin
marklin-eh
#9 Posted : 24 June 2009 21:06:21(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hello everyone,

I have this version listed in my Christie's catalog as being from 1940. Note that this has the red wheels rather than the black wheel version.

Christie's entry:

"Cat. Ref. ME7012920 2.D.1. (4-8-2) and four axle tender, painted in lined black and red, 1940. US$ 4,300 - 5,000"

This locomotive can also be found in the catalog 1937/38 listed as either "ME 66/12920 (gray or black) and ME 70/12920 (gray or black)"

It is really hard to tell if it is repainted or not, but the missing stampings on the tender concern me. However, given the piece's provenance, coming from a dealer who also collected Marklin in the 1930s and 1940s makes me want to think it is original.

My guess is from the 1930s as well.

Congratulations on the purchase, Jim.

Regards,

Bill
Offline steventrain  
#10 Posted : 25 June 2009 23:23:38(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi and Welcome to the forum, Jim.
Offline skeptic49  
#11 Posted : 04 July 2009 04:16:54(UTC)
skeptic49

So, I have the piece now. I've examined it closely one time around. I can see no evidence of repainting. It looks original, but as though it came out of a time capsule. Two items of note: it appears to have the original stubby 20v bulbs in the headlights, and the tender wheels show some signs of casting fatigue. I can take detailed close ups if anyone is interested in seeing particular areas of the loco and tender. I'll probably take this mysterious set to York and try to get some input from Marklin collectors and sellers there.
Jim in Philadelphia

#12 Posted : 04 July 2009 04:21:24(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hi Jim,

Looks like an excellent locomotive. As I said in my above post, do the missing stampings on the locomotive tender concern you?

See them on my ME:

UserPostedImage

Regards,

William
Offline MarklinFan  
#13 Posted : 04 July 2009 07:43:08(UTC)
MarklinFan

I have talked at length to the owner of the Whistle Stop hobby shop in Oklahoma City who is handling the sale of the items from a hobby shop which was closed in the 1960's. The man who owned the long closed shop is now in this 90's, and his family is gradually bringing treasures to the Whistle Stop to sell on eBay.

The Whistle Stop owner consulted about the engine with a rather noted Marklin O Gauge collector who lives in Oklahoma City. That collector apparently once saw the engine many years ago in the old shop. He related to the Whistle Stop owner that he seemed to recall the shop owner telling him that he bought the engine from an American soldier who had returned from Germany after World War II.

The Marklin factory fortunately escaped the destruction of WWII, so they were left with buildings, tooling, and parts from before the war. My understanding is that they scrambled to build trains and other toys to sell for Christmas 1945. They were desperate to bring in cash to feed their families, and the G.I.'s and reconstruction workers had money.

If they could not find the proper rubber stamp for the rear of the tender, it was of no consequence to them. They had to build whatever they could in time for the Christmas season. My Marklin O Gauge train was made in the fourth quarter of 1945. My passenger cars do not have the yellow lettering on the frames that can be seen on pre-war 40 centimeter cars.

You may see my train at:

http://home.earthlink.ne...nrlh/marklino/index.html
#14 Posted : 04 July 2009 09:08:52(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Wilma,

I think you are absolutely right in your evaluation of this ME. I suppose this would also explain why the paint takes on a different tone than it normally does. I have never seen an ME with a more "glossy" look to it. Either they used a different kind of paint or it is because the original paint it undamaged and we have never seen a real "mint" before.

I also enjoyed looking at your website. I have a similar HR in original box with the same wood shavings and instruction sheets.

I think you might enjoy this article I just wrote about a Marklin factory letter:

http://marklinstop.com/i...ources&type=Catalogs

I have spoken with the Whistle Stop owner both about the ME and some catalogs I purchased. He is a very nice gentlemen and I think I will speak to him again in the future. He talked about the original owner (in his 90s) going to a toy fair in New York where he purchased from Richard Marklin Toys which was one of the only dealers of Marklin in the 1930s.

I am absolutely fascinated by the story of Whistle Stop and I wonder if it is possible if we can get into contact with the gentlemen selling off his collection who is in old age (90s). Perhaps we can record this history.

Regards,

William
Offline skeptic49  
#15 Posted : 04 July 2009 16:08:24(UTC)
skeptic49

Thank you, Wilma, for the most interesting background information on the ME. I am indeed fortunate to have acquired it. I can't wait to run it on my layout. I hope that 80 inch diameter curves are adequate. I see that the one driver has a good deal of side to side play, which I assume is designed to allow for operation on relatively tight curves. I wonder how long after the end of the war did Maerklin produce 0 gauge Pacifics and MEs? Is there a source for those interesting little 20v stubby bulbs for the loco headlights? I need two for my HR66 Pacific.
Jim in Philadelphia

#16 Posted : 04 July 2009 18:32:37(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Are these the right ones, it is hard to tell. The seller has many options.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Fuer-....c0.m14&_trkparms=65

Regards,

Bill
Offline MarklinFan  
#17 Posted : 04 July 2009 19:53:37(UTC)
MarklinFan

As to the matter of the elderly owner of the closed hobby shop, it is my understanding that the family is very protective. I am told he is frail, and the family is concerned about unscrupulous people exploiting him. We probably will never know his undoubtedly fascinating history.

After WWII, paint of any kind was very difficult to find. Marklin and other manufacturers experimented with whatever pigments, binders, and solvents they could find. Also, remember that tremendous amounts of effort and money were poured into research of many types during the war, and paints surely benefited from new knowledge.

Please look at the "Marklin "O" Gauge Catalogs" page on my web site for a discussion about the years when various products disappeared from the Marklin line. It would be an interesting exercise to build a database of Marklin PostWar O Gauge engines, cars, and accessories from the catalogs giving colors and dates of manufacture.

http://home.earthlink.ne...no/1949SpurOCatalog.html

I doubt there were catalogs for 1945, but wonder if there were separate Marklin O Gauge catalogs for 1946, 1947, or 1948? I just added an almost mint November 1952 O Gauge catalog from the Oklahoma City treasure trove to my collection.

The pictures from the eBay auction are gone, but I wonder if the Whistle Stop owner would allow us to post his pictures. I would volunteer to crop and resize the pictures, if someone has server room to host them. Let me know, and I will try to get the pictures. I think they should be preserved as valuable history.
#18 Posted : 04 July 2009 21:21:25(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hi Wilma,

I am happy to host whatever you send to me! I myself have a database of over 15,000 ended Marklin auctions from auction houses and online auctions. I have almost all of the Whistle Stop auctions already in my database, especially his early ones with the great Pullman wagons. I try to save everything.

To my knowledge there were no catalogs during war-time. I think the first one after the war was the 1947 which was only for dealers. Correct me if I am mistaken.

Regards,

Bill
Offline skeptic49  
#19 Posted : 05 July 2009 16:07:44(UTC)
skeptic49

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by CCS800KrokHunter3
<br />Are these the right ones, it is hard to tell. The seller has many options.

http://cgi.ebay.de/Fuer-....c0.m14&_trkparms=65

Regards,

Bill

HI Bill,

Thanks, but that bulb is not the one I don't think. The headlight bulbs in the ME are 20V and quite small. It has a coiled filament.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I can provide photos of the ME. I also would really like to publish any articles focusing on Maerklin tinplate in my online magazine, http://www.tinplatetimes.com. Tinplate Times is not for profit and non-commercial. It doesn't matter if they have been published online previously as long as we have permission. I can also add links from TInplate Times to other websites.

Jim

Jim in Philadelphia

#20 Posted : 05 July 2009 20:53:18(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hi Jim,

It is the incorrect bulb, I remember a seller who had them in Germany, he had tons of auctions always running, but today I cannot find him.

There are always replicas:

http://www.ritter-restau...mail=;usrPwd=;katKey=2.8

If you decide to buy from Ritter, let me know the shipping cost, because I need some bulbs too and maybe we can split the shipping if it is expensive.

Regards,

William