Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline applor  
#1 Posted : 02 June 2009 14:12:24(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Hello gents,

I've always been a huge fan of the red/yellow TEE coaches ever since a kid when my dad had a 103 with the TEE set and open sun coach.

In any case, I've always been a lookout for the more modern Marklin TEE set coaches with close couplers etc.

I am however somewhat confused with what is meant to go with what.

I currently have the Sudwind set (42993/42994) which are 1st and 2nd class as well as the matching restaurant and bar cars (42972/42973) and as I understand it all these should go together. Is this correct or would the 1st (red) and 2nd (blue) class coaches not normally run together?

Then theres the other sets, 42990 Rheingold TEE and 42991 Helvetia TEE sets. Do these run together or seperately and do they have anything other Marklin coaches that should run with them? I would think that only 3 coaches in a TEE set to be a let down.

Now after searching these forums I've also learned theres some more sets, namely 43859 Bavaria TEE and the 26540 set which has the E11 loco. And then theres this 00774 set I saw linked.
Am I right in that each of these TEE sets are for different routes and would not be found together in real life?

I am so very confused as to what goes with what and which loco. Is there a table or graph or something that lists all these sets and what they were found with?

Thankyou for your help
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 02 June 2009 14:38:05(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Eric,

I can't help with all your questions, but I know that, after the end of TEE operations, the red/cream coaches were used together with the blue/cream coaches in "Intercity" (IC) trains. The 1st class section was made up of the ex TEE coaches, and the blue/cream coaches were used for the 2nd class accomodation.

All the other TEE named trains you mentioned would have had a typical consist, all 1st class, of which part would include the sets made by Marklin.

No doubt other members can give more information.

Ray
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 02 June 2009 14:59:39(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hello Eric,
Here's some good primer info on the TEE story
http://homepages.cwi.nl/...sh/public_transport/TEE/
Good reading!
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#4 Posted : 02 June 2009 15:11:08(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
AFAIK most of the Tee trains had names, such as Helvetia and Rheinpfeil, and were used as complete trains between specific routes. For example, the Rheinpfeil was used between Dortmund and Munich, and later on, as one of the Intercity trains, between Hanover and Munich.

So you would probably not mix the trains up too much, if you were wanting to remain reasonably prototypical.

The 00776 set has not yet been released, this should happen later in the year. It consists of 2 different trains of 6 cars each. Some dealers look as if they will split the set up so you can just buy one of the trains, should you wish to do that.
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 02 June 2009 20:13:06(UTC)
H0

Hi, Eric,

TEE colours don't make a TEE train.

The Südwind sets make a nice IC train. IC trains had 1st and 2nd class after 1979.
TEE trains only had 1st class (TEE services ended 1987).

TEE Bavaria was really that short - it replaced the swiss RAm trains that ran there until one of them derailed.

And even 2 coaches can make a prototypical TEE - or at least a "Flügelzug". Two or more short TEEs will be combined at a big junction to travel most of the journey as one longer TEE.

The main differences between the various sets are the destination signs. If you don't mind about that, you can combine coaches from several sets to make a long TEE.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 03 June 2009 01:00:44(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The 42992 and 42993 and additional restaurant coaches allow for the recreation of the IC Suedwind. This would have been a typical IC during the period 1979-1987. Normally, this kind of train would have been pulled by a 110/112, 103, 111 or even 120.
The main difference between this type of train and the earlier "TEE" trains is that the IC trains also included 2nd class coaches.

The 42990 "Rheingold" and 42991 "Helvetia" sets were interesting. The Rheingold, even in it's shortest consist (Basel-Geneva-Basel) usually consisted of 4 coaches, 1 compartment coach, one observation coach with bar, one restaurant coach and one open seating coach. Maerklin never released a separate model of the missing Apum coach.

The Helvetia also consisted of a few coaches between Basel-Zuerich-Basel, as it was normally coupled to coaches from the TEE Arbalete for that run. Once again, unless you combined coaches from the two set or bought multiples of the same set, you could not complete the full train.

The "newer" models (1:93.5)
The "Rheinpfeil" coaches, either as a Set from Maerklin or as individual coaches from Trix, make a nice consist. If you went with the Trix coaches, you could use a 103 instead of the 112.
The Bavaria is probably the best consist to date, even though this consist ran for only a few months in 1971 before the bar coach was replaced by a SBB restaurant. The Bavaria (as modelled) was pulled by a diesel 210 and by a Re 4/4II in Switzerland.

This year's "Blauer Enzian" (Maerklin) and "Roland" (Trix) are probably the most complete TEE sets available to date. Some dealers are selling the set as a complete set, others have divided it into two sub sets corresponding to direction (ie north-south or west-east, etc). Check with your dealer for more info.

As Maerklin has decided to market the trains with destination signs applied, some modellers will find it "non-prototypical" to mix and match. It is also important not to mix the 1:100 and 1:93 coaches together.

The Trix "Roland" behind a DB 103, a Swiss Re 4/4II TEE or FS 646 would be the quientessential international TEE. You can find info on the Roland and other TEE trains here:
http://www.heinrich-hank...ahn/zugbildung/index.htm

Regards

Mike C
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 03 June 2009 15:32:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Mike, Thanks for the comprehensive explanation.

Marklin used to make the individual TEE/IC coaches which made it easier to make up your own TEE train. I wish they would go back to that way of thinking. With about 6 separate coaches you could probably make a fair representation of almost any TEE train.

On the other hand, they probably make a lot more money on the sets!
Ray
Offline pa-pauls  
#8 Posted : 03 June 2009 16:09:09(UTC)
pa-pauls

Mike, thank's for very good information !

Pål Paulsen
Märklin Spur 1 Digital, epoche 3
Offline kimballthurlow  
#9 Posted : 04 June 2009 13:10:10(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Mike says:
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:The 42990 "Rheingold" and 42991 "Helvetia" sets were interesting. The Rheingold, even in it's shortest consist (Basel-Geneva-Basel) usually consisted of 4 coaches, 1 compartment coach, one observation coach with bar, one restaurant coach and one open seating coach. Maerklin never released a separate model of the missing Apum coach.

Your modelling depends on the era you wish to represent. I run 42990/42991 together, even though each set shows different destination badges. It looks very good as a complete train, and coaches are correct for around 1964. The marshalling on this era train, means you run the diner car next to the dome observation, and there may be other "rules" of which I am not aware.

In addition to the very good links already mentioned, an overview of passenger trains on the DB over various periods, can be found here, in English. http://www.dbtrains.com/en/
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#10 Posted : 04 June 2009 13:44:34(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by mike c
<br />The Bavaria (as modelled) was pulled by a diesel 210....

And AFAIK, there was only ever one 210 diesel painted in the Tee colours!
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 04 June 2009 22:03:50(UTC)
H0

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Bigdaddynz
<br />
Quote:
<br />The Bavaria (as modelled) was pulled by a diesel 210....

And AFAIK, there was only ever one 210 diesel painted in the Tee colours!

I checked www.revisionsdaten.de and found one in blue/beige, all others were red.
TEE colours weren't listed for any BR 210.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 04 June 2009 22:30:18(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It was a 218 that was painted in TEE colours.
Ray
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#13 Posted : 05 June 2009 00:41:41(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Correct, it was the 218.

218 217-8 was the road number for that particular loco.
Offline mike c  
#14 Posted : 05 June 2009 03:12:36(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The BR 218 in TEE colors was never used to pull TEE trains. The BR 210s and Br 218s used to pull the Bavaria were the normal red DB, blue/beige and modern red versions.

Is the 218 217 the same one as the 753 testlok that I have seen in photos or are these two separate loks?

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 05 June 2009 11:34:17(UTC)
H0

Quote:
<br />Is the 218 217 the same one as the 753 testlok that I have seen in photos or are these two separate loks?

Several former class 217 locos are now running as class 753 in TEE colours.

Loco 218 217 still exists in ordinary traffic red pulling (commuter) trains from Trier.
Can be seen regularly in Cologne ...
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#16 Posted : 05 June 2009 11:53:31(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Does anyone know why the class 753 have been painted in TEE colours?

...or indeed why 218 217 was so painted, if it never pulled a TEE train?
Ray
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#17 Posted : 05 June 2009 12:30:00(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The information about the 218 loco's road number came from one of the Marklin catalogs. Marklin produced a model of this loco in 1 Gauge (55711) around 1996. The following is the comments from Marklin about it:

"The class 218 diesel locomotive with the
road number 218 217 was the only unit in
this series to be painted in an experimental
IC red/cream color scheme. This locomotive
is still in operation today in this scheme.
The German Railroad, Inc. incorporated this
model into its museum collection in this
version, and it therefore has the earlier
DB logo for the German Federal Railroad."

(This info is from the 1996 catalog, and from Tom's comment above it seems 218 217 has since been repainted in the traffic red colour scheme.)

Basically, it was done as an experiment.

I have emailed one of our Marklin club members who knows quite a bit about the history of the Tee trains to see if he knows any further.
Online river6109  
#18 Posted : 05 June 2009 13:43:04(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by RayPayas
<br />Does anyone know why the class 753 have been painted in TEE colours?

...or indeed why 218 217 was so painted, if it never pulled a TEE train?

218 217-8 1974 = red-beige,
Die 218 217-8 bespannte am 20.06.1999 den EC 166 "Albert Einstein" nach Zürich ab Furh im Wald!
There has been a discussion over this loco whether or not it was ever used for TEE trains. the above german text, assumes it did on the other hand in 1999 all TEE trains had been desolved.
I've just watched a video regarding this train EC 166 Albert Einstein. It had a red BR 218 with SBB carriages.

What I've gathered, there are no TEE trains or videos available for this loco.
My conclusion is: it was a experimental colour that lasted until 2002.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
this picture shows a excursion or special train and not a standard service train

218 218-6 1074 = ocean blue beige (first loco to be repainted)
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 05 June 2009 17:04:03(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by river6109
<br />218 218-6 1074 = ocean blue beige (first loco to be repainted)

218 217 and 218 218 were delivered from the factory with the new colour schemes (one red/cream, one ocean blue/cream).
218 219 through 314 were still delivered in the normal red colour scheme.

Later on they decided to keep the red/cream colour scheme for fast locos and 1st class IC coaches only.
Ocean blue/cream became the colour scheme for other locos and coaches.

In 1985/86 they were looking for a new colour scheme - and once again a few locos tested different patterns and different shades of red.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#20 Posted : 05 June 2009 23:45:29(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The EC Albert Einstein was composed of SBB EC Coaches with a CD Dining Coach and operated between Zuerich and Prague via Lindau, Munich and Fuerth im Wald. Tractive Power was handled by Re 4/4II in Switzerland (Lindau-Zuerich-Lindau) and by either BR218 (single or MU) or BR232 in Germany. Lok changes were required at Munich HB, Schwandorf and at Fuerth (border) where CD locomotives took over.
In the early 2000s, the train schedule was modified so that the train replaced a IR between Fuerth and Munich and continued on to Zuerich after an hours' wait under a different train number.
Today, this train no longer exists as a direct connection.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#21 Posted : 06 June 2009 05:25:01(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by Hemmerich
<br />You're probably talking about this one. biggrin

Yep, that's it! A former Marklin dealer here in NZ has had the Marklin 55711 1 Gauge version for sale, which is what sparked my interest in this loco.

Lutz, I see you have what looks like 2 sets of the Tee Bavaria cars in your picture, are they by any chance the Marklin and Trix sets? Are the road numbers different between the two?
Online river6109  
#22 Posted : 06 June 2009 07:13:08(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square

Any statement that THIS loco never pulled any TEE is simply wrong. The proof can even be seen here (both locos pulling their respective TEE Bavaria): Smile

UserPostedImage

Lutz,
I like to see more evidence.[V]
Your photos are nice but not conclusive.[|)]
I know you're trying to use woodpanels to imitate a forest scenery in the background.[xx(]
A bit more realistic scenery, to convince me.biggrinbiggrin

regards.,
John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline mike c  
#23 Posted : 08 June 2009 10:39:28(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Is there a designated section for members who believe tha consists are real just because they recreated them in HO Scale?

I recently had the chance to have my 4224 Apmz coach out of the box and I recalled seeing a photo that clearly showed lighter and darker color TEE coaches in the same consist.

Did the DB originally use a brighter shade of red and if so, when did it change to the colors that are now most frequently used by manufacturers for their TEE models?

It also seems to me that the FS TEE Coaches (TEE Lemano, etc) also were also a brighter shade than the current models of DB coaches.

Regarding the 4224 and at least one series of the 4225, Maerklin had used externally mounted handrails. This was not present in later editions of the 4225 nor on any subsequent models of similar coaches. Other than the railings getting stuck against the packaging, what other reasons did Maerklin have for abandoning this idea?

Regards

Mike C