Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline obxbill  
#1 Posted : 30 December 2008 05:10:57(UTC)
obxbill

United States   
I have some Roco and Piko rolling stock. Can marklin wheelsets be put on em to make them operate better on the track?

Bill
Marklin HO and Z also Hornby 00 and US 2-rail
Offline banco  
#2 Posted : 30 December 2008 10:09:17(UTC)
banco

Dear obxbill

It is possible to exchange the wheels of other brands to marklin.

To me there are two main adavantages:

1) The flange size on some brands of wheel make running over turn outs difficult eg derailments etc

2) Changing the dc ( isolated wheels ) to ac ( no isolated wheels) allow things which need current to be conducted accross the axel to work. eg lights on level crossings..

I have found a good level of success with changing wheels . Careful matching of the design etc is needed.

THere are some problems, for some makes the fit of the axel into the anachor is not always that good...........

I understand that some companies do make their own ac wheels eg I believe Roco do but this can cost .

I know that TRIX run an exchange system where you don not have to pay for the exchange if it is done by a dealer.

Lastly there are trucks etc where I have not exchanged the wheels and apart from not triggering my level crossing , I have had few problems.
C track,6021,large digital loft layout modelled in the legendary European land of "Moresnet"
Offline intruder  
#3 Posted : 31 December 2008 01:42:40(UTC)
intruder

Norway   
I think Roco has AC wheels themselves.

The flanges are a bit higher.
I have some Roco coaches. I have not foud any Märklin wheels that fit them, but I ahve bought some Roco wheel sets.

If required, I can make a photo of the Roco DC and AC wheels later on.
Best regards Svein, Norway
grumpy old sod
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 31 December 2008 03:57:37(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Hello,

most major manufacturers offer AC wheelsets in exchange for DC ones. Liliput (Bachmann) this year began charging for the wheelsets. Make sure that you inquire with your dealer before you place your order.
If you want to replace wheelsets on coaches/cars already in your collection, most items list the corresponding AC wheelsets in the information included with the item.
Roco, Hag and other wheelsets can be ordered as spare parts or accessories. Many of the catalogs list the available models by diameter and other features. The Roco catalog actually lists AC wheelsets underneath each model.

The practice of swapping wheelsets is much more common in Europe than in America.

I hope that this info is of use to you.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Tivvy  
#5 Posted : 31 December 2008 07:32:34(UTC)
Tivvy

Piko also offer AC wheelsets. The online catalogue lists the appropriate type occasionally however you can usually find the part number for the wheelsets by looking through the pages for identical type coaches. Eg all the hobby eurofima type cars use the same wheelset, 56060 (actually that might be for the ICE3 cars) IIRC
Ep IV / V Marklin Layout
6 track dead end station, twin track loop, 4 track through station.
Under construction.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 31 December 2008 07:50:07(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
I keep a selection of AC wheelsets from various manufacturers including Brawa, Fleischmann, and Roco, and find one that suits the piece of rolling stock.
In many cases, the axle length varies. For example Fleischmann offers two AC wheel sets, 6560 which is 24mm, and 6561 which is 25mm axle length.
Hope this helps.
regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#7 Posted : 01 January 2009 15:11:45(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Be aware that some recommended Roco AC wheels don't have the same rolling properties as the DC-ones. I had some surprises ... And had to leave the cars with their original DC wheels !

Fleischmann and Electrotren also have AC wheels.

For those of you interested in American cars, I have put some information on my website.

Pierre.
Offline al_pignolo  
#8 Posted : 01 January 2009 16:13:28(UTC)
al_pignolo

In my experience the manifacturer is not important. I usually look at the diameter more than the manifacturer.

For LS, Heris and ACME carrages I use Marklin wheels. Roco, Liliput and Piko have almost the same size, I usually use Roco #40196.

Goods car have a wider range of diameters so I evaluate for every model what is the proper wheelset.

IMHO some models can run without problems keeping their DC wheels (in C or K tracks), most of Roco and Piko don't have problems. Heris and ACME need to have the wheels changed because thei derail at every turnout.

Pietro
Offline RDRBerry  
#9 Posted : 01 January 2009 19:59:41(UTC)
RDRBerry

I have found converting wheels has been most helpful as the slightly different profile improves running especially on points.

I am struggling to recall the manufacturer but I ordered a bulk set of Radatze from an independent manufactirer at around .90 EU each.

There are more sizes than you think and the spoked ones can also be bought...
Ralph
HO digital ,Intellibox and 6021
Offline obxbill  
#10 Posted : 01 January 2009 22:36:09(UTC)
obxbill

United States   
Thanks, all! The reason I brought up this topic is that I understood that Marklin track wasn't quite the same width as the other HO manufactures so there can be problems with cars from Roco, etc... Maybe this isn't the case afterall. Was just curious about it.

Bill
Marklin HO and Z also Hornby 00 and US 2-rail
Offline TTRExpress  
#11 Posted : 02 January 2009 00:09:13(UTC)
TTRExpress

United States   
Hi Bill,

Maerklin HO track is 16.5 mm which is standard NEM width. The rail profile height varies from M-,C- and K-track as well as TRIX tracks. You will need to pay attention to wheel flange sizes when changing wheels sets.

I have included track profile heights for your reference:

Maerklin C-track is 2.3 mm (0.090" or Code 90)
TRIX C-track is 2.1 mm (0.083" or Code 83)

Maerklin M-track is 2.5 mm (~0.10" or Code 100)
Maerklin K-track is 2.54 mm (0.10" or Code 100)

TRIX International HO track is 2.7 mm (0.106" or ~Code 100)
TRIX Express HO track is 3.3 mm (0.129" or Code 124)

There are transition tracks available so that you can connect M to K, and K to C and M to C.

Wheel sets that are interchangeable with Maerklin/Roco/Fleischmann/TRIX can be purchased directly from Eberhard Luck. A link to his website is attached:

http://www.luck-feinmechanik.de/

He does accept credit card or PayPal. I can recommend his workmanship as I have bought many wheel sets from him and never had an issue.

Regards (a Scot in Wisconsin),

Maurice [ETE, TTRCA, IG-TRIX Express, Maerklin-Insider & TRIX Profi-Club]
Offline RDRBerry  
#12 Posted : 02 January 2009 00:13:01(UTC)
RDRBerry

Thats the firm,Herr Luck, the site explains the geometry and they are very good wheels.

I agree with the good review above.

I have even replaced some of the grey aluminum ones on Marklin models too.....
Ralph
HO digital ,Intellibox and 6021
Offline PierreGILLARD  
#13 Posted : 02 January 2009 01:16:54(UTC)
PierreGILLARD

Quote:
[size=1" face="Verdana" id="quote]quote:Originally posted by TTRExpress
<br />Hi Bill,

Maerklin HO track is 16.5 mm which is standard NEM width. The rail profile height varies from M-,C- and K-track as well as TRIX tracks. You will need to pay attention to wheel flange sizes when changing wheels sets.

I have included track profile heights for your reference:
(...)

Wheel sets that are interchangeable with Maerklin/Roco/Fleischmann/TRIX can be purchased directly from Eberhard Luck. A link to his website is attached:

http://www.luck-feinmechanik.de/

He does accept credit card or PayPal. I can recommend his workmanship as I have bought many wheel sets from him and never had an issue.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting !

Here are some information about Electrotren AC Wheels. I have ordered some sets from my Belgian favorite dealer, but they are still on B/O (the same occurs for Märklin wheels as well !)

Pierre.
Offline TTRExpress  
#14 Posted : 02 January 2009 02:46:27(UTC)
TTRExpress

United States   
Hi Pierre and RDRBerry,

Glad to have been of assistance. Herr Luck's work is of extremely high quality as he specializes in only specific parts.

Pierre, thanks for the link. Extremely interesting.

Offline al_pignolo  
#15 Posted : 02 January 2009 09:49:19(UTC)
al_pignolo

Thank you from me too.

Herr Luck's wheelsets seem high quality as you tell, and cheaper than original axis.

The only defect I see is on shipping: they seem to ship only as insured parcel. This increases the price by 100% if you order 12-15 wheelsets (as I would do [:(]). I'll write them (hoping they speak english wink)

Pietro
Offline Adrian.Bg  
#16 Posted : 13 January 2009 08:19:01(UTC)
Adrian.Bg

Regards from Bulgaria !
Pls help ?

I bought 4 Marklin sets 46247 :

http://i10.ebayimg.com/05/i/001/29/1e/1b72_1.JPG

wich are AC ofcourse , but my collection is in DC
and now I must to change the wheels .

Pls help me with the art . No of the right wheels I need (for 2 DC rails)
is it 700580 , or 700070 , or what ?
You can send me mail at:
adlian@abv.bg

You are welcome in our railwayfans forum:

www.railwaypassion.com
Offline steventrain  
#17 Posted : 16 January 2009 18:59:29(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Welcome to the forum, Adrian.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline TTRExpress  
#18 Posted : 16 January 2009 22:22:10(UTC)
TTRExpress

United States   
Hello Adrian,

Welcome to the Forum. TRIX makes a number of different wheels sets that are available for order through your dealer. The are listed in the full catalogue for 2008. The set you need is TRIX 705080.

If you need more TRIX wheel set part numbers let me know and I can post them on here or send you an E-mail.